Linux games that run well.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Happy to report that on my Skylake build running Arch 64 bit. The following games run as far as I can tell very well with no problems.

System Shock 2 --- a great game from way back. This is the remastered version and it looks darn nice. Despite its age this game still gives hours of enjoyment.

Dinosaur Hunt ---- A throw a way game in my opinion and only worth buying if very cheap in the sales.

Sir You Are Being Hunted --- A quirky offering but looks like it could be amusing. Only played it for a short while but get the impression that it is a coffee break sort of game.

Strife -Veteran Edition ----- This is another oldie from way back and again a remastered version. I have only got to the start screens on this but if the reviews are true it should be entertaining.

Steam installed on Arch with no problems. I simply installed steam and all of the optional dependencies and it fired up. I did have a couple of worrying moments as I had no sound when I first fired one up. This could have been caused by some of the sound programs I have been trying out not being set up properly. Don't know for sure but the sound worked perfectly after a reboot. I am running a nvidia card and it seems to be having no problems.
Have not tried out the big picture mode or my steam controller yet.
All in all a trigger happy barbarian. Now where did I leave me shotgun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Metro 2033 Redux ---------- is working really well on Arch through Steam. Tried out the Big Picture mode and it runs just fine. Also tried out the Steam Controller and it works well too, no extra configuration needed.
So really all us penguins need is for all major game titles to be released with a linux version and its bye bye MS for good.

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice work :). Haha, System Shock 2, must be almost 20 years old now - what a game that way :D.

I've been playing around with Linux Mint a little more this week, but I'm yet to try Steam/Gaming - that'll be my next task! Do you know if you own a license for a Windows game in Steam, if you can then download the Linux variant?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nice work :). Haha, System Shock 2, must be almost 20 years old now - what a game that way :D.

I've been playing around with Linux Mint a little more this week, but I'm yet to try Steam/Gaming - that'll be my next task! Do you know if you own a license for a Windows game in Steam, if you can then download the Linux variant?

Hmmm Mint eh. Well I have Metro 2033 Redux in my Windows Steam and it appears in my Linux Steam so I think that as long as the game sells with support for linux or mac then it will play on those systems without you needing to buy again.

AS to System Shock 2 it is almost the same as the original except with widescreen support and some graphics enhancements. Looks grate on the tv and game play is super. You still get the atmosphere and enjoyment and that gaming thrill. :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of penguins. :lol:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Any great AAA DX11 titles running stellar on Linux these days?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any great AAA DX11 titles running stellar on Linux these days?

I can't see anything on Steam that is AAA, DX11 and Linux compatible - but I was surprised at the number of games supported:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&os=linux&filter=topsellers

It looks like the latest version of Wine supports DX11 gaming :eek: - someone is running The Witcher III in it:

https://boilingsteam.com/the-wine-revolution-is-on/

I gave up playing with Linux this morning, as Steam was really playing up so I quit for the day :lol:. I suspect it's because I'm running it with virtualised acceleration, which it doesn't like.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Hardware information at 9:17. Without video recording, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel runs smoothly at 2560 x 1080 resolution with High preset using a Radeon RX 480 8GB. Open Broadcaster Software (a.k.a OBS) was used to record the game play and the random stuttering you may notice in the video is a problem with the recording.

Great game and runs flawlessly on Arch linux too. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
imo Borderlands The Sequel was OK but not as good as the first two, I've played it through twice though not, as yet, on Linux.

If you haven't already got hold of it I would advise against getting any of the Prequel's 'DLC' as it seems to be universally agreed it's all a bit crap. I certainly thought so.

While I'm here thought I'd mention I never completed Metro 2033 either, got stuck about two hours in and gave up, a horrible game. The next one, Metro Last Light (Redux version available) was good though, I managed to complete that one.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
imo Borderlands The Sequel was OK but not as good as the first two, I've played it through twice though not, as yet, on Linux.

If you haven't already got hold of it I would advise against getting any of the Prequel's 'DLC' as it seems to be universally agreed it's all a bit crap. I certainly thought so.

While I'm here thought I'd mention I never completed Metro 2033 either, got stuck about two hours in and gave up, a horrible game. The next one, Metro Last Light (Redux version available) was good though, I managed to complete that one.

Ta fer the heads up about the DLC. The game is certainly easier than the first two. Can not say if they were more fun as I am enjoying playing, nearly finished the main challenge. I'll have a go at finishing of the side quests before I do though.

A pox on Metro 2033. I was quietly getting better at the game play and was certainly enjoying playing until I got totally stuck in the Trolley section. The game plays flawlessly on Linux, the only niggle I have is that you have to run through the start up vids every time with no way to skip them.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Super game great fun and runs very very well on Arch linux. :cool:

I do mean the Remastered version of course. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
7KcWxDy.jpg

Sometimes you do not fancy running around full of adrenaline with a twitching finger.

I like to play Hangman whilst travelling by bus or train and fancied having the game on my pc. So I went looking for a version and found not only Hangman but a real treasure trove of text and terminal games in a package called bsd-games. You can install it on Mint by,

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install bsdgames

and play it by,

Code:
$ hangman

If you do not like typing which I do not you could make a alias as I did shown in the screen shot. The bsd-games package contains many games and I will highlight a few in later posts. One interesting offering is called wargames.

LIST OF GAMES IN BSD_GAMES PACKAGE

An they all run great on my Arch set up. :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://store.steampowered.com/app/391720/Layers_of_Fear/

Layers of Fear

Reviews
“Layers of Fear goes into the mind of an insane artist and creates a horror game magnum opus.”
5/5 – The Escapist

“One of the best horror games ever made, this will scare you in incredibly clever ways and make you question everything you see.”
5/5 – Games Radar+

“Fear. Pure fear. The most primal of emotions is the overwhelming one while playing Layers of Fear.”
5/5 – Digitally Downloaded

The game runs flawlessly on Arch 64 bit.

I am a bit puzzled as to how the game got into my Steam catalog as I can find no trace of buying it through Steam. Possibly it came with a Humble bundle or maybe other forces are at work :eek: :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony

This is probably the best free game I have ever come across. You can get the game from the site above but the easiest way is to get the first and second chapters together from below.

Chapter 2 "Shadows of the Reich"

For Linux users there is a Flatpak version which is a single file to download and install which contains everything needed to run the game. Mint users do not have to do any extra set up stuff as Flatpak is ready to use in their distro.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.realm667.WolfenDoom_Blade_of_Agony

Although this is a very old style game the graphics are pretty neat and game play is fluid and smooth. Using the shovel is a hoot. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://store.steampowered.com/app/391720/Layers_of_Fear/

Layers of Fear

Reviews
“Layers of Fear goes into the mind of an insane artist and creates a horror game magnum opus.”
5/5 – The Escapist

“One of the best horror games ever made, this will scare you in incredibly clever ways and make you question everything you see.”
5/5 – Games Radar+

“Fear. Pure fear. The most primal of emotions is the overwhelming one while playing Layers of Fear.”
5/5 – Digitally Downloaded

The game runs flawlessly on Arch 64 bit.

I am a bit puzzled as to how the game got into my Steam catalog as I can find no trace of buying it through Steam. Possibly it came with a Humble bundle or maybe other forces are at work :eek: :rolleyes:

Well I finished Layers of Fear and to me it was a bit of a damp squid ending. Apparently there are different endings depending on the choices you made in the game. As I said earlier the game runs very well on my Arch set up though it takes what seems to be a longish time to load up between scenes.
I recon this is best played in a dark room and you may or may not find it quite spooky. If you find it cheap in a sale it is probably worth a buy.

Ask a Question