Laptop prob

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sorry, what's that? ... new one on me!

Does the 'Dear Lady' have any important data left on there, if not, use the recovery CD ... most just install to a factory default, some will give an option to just install Windows, if your lucky.

Failing that, "buy" a FREE Linux CD ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Sorry - must have mis-read your answer re recovery disks to another member. Have SUSE 10/11, Slackware, UBUNTO, DSL but not on her laptop. Tried her with SUSE10 on my 2MHz PC - too slow. Apparently no delay is acceptable when clothes shopping!
She has no vital data on the lappy so I will try the recovery disc. There must be all sorts of crap on the HD after 21/2 years.:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello All,
Yes, things do happen in threes!
Laptop left crunching overnight Friday - no power supply or battery in the morning (daughter not best pleased as it disrupted Internet shopping).
Tested power supply - no output. Took a chance and bought a 'B grade' replacement from Maplin (sold and returned - 19GBP) and the A30-514 was not on the compatibility list. None of the six dc input plugs are identical to the original but one fits ok and it's back crunching.
Question is - the original ran really hot, this one runs hotter, so is it also likely to fail running 24/7?
Cheers,
peahouse05:nod:

Reaction score
Whats the difference in current drain m8?

ie original PSU 5amps

replacement 3amps

difference between the two if the replacement is significantly lower then yes it will casue problems. I knw u said it is a compatable one but you nvr knw

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Laptopprob

Hi TriplexDread,
The specs are identical - 19V, 3.74A. It's probably ok as it's difficult to remember how hot the old one got. Cut the old one up yesterday and found two layers of copper foil around the whole thing. Have used this around the case of the new one with an aluminium plate to increase the cooling area. Seems to make a difference.
Thanks,
peahouse05:wave:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If its identical to the other power supply as in amperage and voltage, then should have no problems at all, as we use different Psu's all the time at work...

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello crazylegs,
It seems to be ok after approx 30 hours crunching, but it's unbelievable how hot these things run. At least the laptop is running a lot cooler since the 'defleece' of the heatsink.
Cheers, peahouse05:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter,
Switched off and let it cool overnight. Now only running warm with 'heatsink'. It was just about too hot to touch originally.
But what an idea! Piece of rainwater downpipe, case fan either end. Have a spare mobile phone charger 5.1V, 450mA to power them. Must check the spec of the one in my PC.
Thanks,
peahouse05:bow:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
Used Mucks' idea of case fans. Two 92mm from EBuyer (78p each). Soldered a molex onto two old mobile phone chargers in series. Fitted fans to a length of 100mm drainpipe with duck tape - laptop power adapter sits inside wrapped in copper foil. Fans draw 230mA at 8.7V and are really quiet. Chargers can handle the current easily and fans shift loads of air.
Main thing is daughter is happy alow laptop to continue crunching.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hi All,
Used Mucks' idea of case fans. Two 92mm from EBuyer (78p each). Soldered a molex onto two old mobile phone chargers in series. Fitted fans to a length of 100mm drainpipe with duck tape - laptop power adapter sits inside wrapped in copper foil. Fans draw 230mA at 8.7V and are really quiet. Chargers can handle the current easily and fans shift loads of air.
Main thing is daughter is happy alow laptop to continue crunching.
Cheers,
:D

Now ... you have to take picks and post 'em in the Gallery. :thumb:

;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
HelloMucks,
Laptop power adapter cooler pics in Gallery,
Cheers,
peahouse05:nod:
... and a very 'pretty' job too. :thumb:

:D

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
It's back again! But never more pleased to see the same problem. Crunching 24/7, daughter's laptop was restarting and then wouldn't boot (with error messages).
Removed CPU/cooler - intake completely blocked with lint - picked it off and refitted unit. Fans quiet again and all working perfectly.
So it looks like CLEAN THE COOLER EVERY 8 WEEKS, unless your house is cleaner than mine. Must prove that there is nothing wrong with the laptop.
Cheers,

muckshifter

Reaction score
Better get a Dyson ... or use the Laptop as the vacuum cleaner. ;)

Put masking tape over the vents, that should stop anything getting in ... err, no, maybe not a good idea. :D

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
Having repeat problems with daughter's Toshiba Satellite A30, P4, 2.8GHz, 1Gb RAM with XP. Kept restarting as before but then more and more often and then came error messages-
'kernel debugging dll'
'ql12160 corrupted'
'System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys missing'
'Setupdd.sys'
Then BSOD STOP : 0x000000BE(0xF785F248,0x06168860, 0xBAFD39AC, 0x0000000E)
'Setupdd.sys - Address F7672D15 base at F7668000, DateStamp 41107c8f'
'stop2port.sys corrupt'
Tried suggested repair in error messages using XP disk but wouldn't work.
Machine now tries to start but after fans, light from HD there is a click, everything stops and it repeats the process every ten seconds or so until the battery is removed, being the only way to stop it.
Occasionally starts and boots windows but then crashes with BSOD but too quick to read error messages.
Any help much appreciated.
peahouse05:confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops

A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver.
... that will be whatever you see listed.

I think, there be a little more to this 'problem' than corrupted drivers ... I hope I is wrong.

Try to start in Safe Mode ... did you recently get the 'updates' from MS, it may, I say may have given it the hiccups.

:confused:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks,
It's on automatic updates. I'm hoping to get it running long enough to reinstall XP with a disk from my PC. If this works will get a new XP - unfortunately daughter is stuck on windows.
The erratic performance lately does suggest something really serious - just feels like MB or CPU in my very limited experience.
Cheers,
peahouse05
nod.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Thanks Mucks,
It's on automatic updates. I'm hoping to get it running long enough to reinstall XP with a disk from my PC. If this works will get a new XP - unfortunately daughter is stuck on windows.
The erratic performance lately does suggest something really serious - just feels like MB or CPU in my very limited experience.
Cheers,
peahouse05
nod.gif
Sorry to say, I think so too. :(

Ask a Question