Quick question on CPU fan/Heatsink

Reaction score
I have a K7S41 motherboard.

The CPU fan was busted so i brought a new Artic Cooling Heatsink and fan. This is ok but the sound of the cpu fan is unbearable.

My question is:

Do you have to get the right CPU fan in order to put it on your heatsink or does the heatsink and fan need to come together?

For example my PC is AMD Sempron 2.8Ghz , I have artic cooling heatsink already in. Would this fan be ok http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...jefcflgceggdhhmdfoh.0&page=Product&sku=121530

Reaction score
The fan you show is for cooling a case?

You need a CPU cooler with the correct fan? or you wont have the correct connector to attach to the MOBO nor will it function correctly?

Attachments

• images[4].jpg
    images[4].jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 133

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Arctic Cooling CPU Cooler you have, could you post a link to it?

It probably is possible to fit a different fan to the CPU cooler but you need to know the size of it and when choosing a replacement be sure to select a fan recommended to be quiet and with a low rpm.

A replacement fan will have either a 3 pin or 4 pin connector, you can probably accomodate both with your setup. A 3 pin would connect to a fan header on the motherboard and a 4 pin to a spare plug on your power supply.

Bear in mind that a lower fan speed will increase CPU heat and if excessive may introduce instability in your computer.

We need to know exactly which Arctic Cooling CPU cooler you have, then can probably recommend a quieter replacement fan.

You DO NOT need to buy a complete heatsink/fan combo, just a fan, but we need details.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
Oh... and how did christmas go FBS:wave:

It would seem quite well cos obviously I was still drunk when I replied ;)

itsme said:
He put the link FBS;) http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2....8&data=2&disc=1

Thats why I suggested the one I linked, as the one he has is a slip on fan.

Ah, I missed that, puts a whole new slant on things.

Looks like an 80mm fan to me and the only way you could mount a different fan would possibly be by using thin self tappers through the fans' mounting holes that would lock into the heatsink fins, I've done that before.

But in this instance it's unknown whether that would work which leaves us a couple of options:

a) A new heatsink/fan cooler combo.
b) A speed limiter for the existing fan, such as Zalman manufacture.

The cooler itsme has linked to is probably not as efficient as the existing model and I'm not sure what other socket A coolers are available atm, not many, I'd guess.

Best bet, imo, is fan speed limiter.

But I will repeat: Slower fan speed = higher temp.

Ask a Question