New Compaw Laptop - Can Someone Explain The Difference

Reaction score
Hi,
Im in the market for a new laptop. I have my eyes on a Compaw from PcWorld. They offer two version of it. One for 399 and one for 449.

The 449 laptop:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...ull&sm=null&tm=null#productInformationSection

The 399 Laptop:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=nul#productInformationSection

From what i can see the difference is that the 449 have a bit more processor power, but only have DDR memory where the 399 have a slower Processor but have DDR2 memory.

Could anyone give their views on what you think is the best for a certain situation and what is more important.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Never heard of Compaw, but have heard of Compaq.
The £449 has quicker RAM speed, but it will not be much different than the cheaper one.:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not really hooked up on brand names, so it doesn't really matter what they are called. You can have a look at the links, they show the laptops I'm questioning about.

Thanks

Reaction score
The £449 has quicker RAM speed, but it will not be much different than the cheaper one.
icon14.gif
OK! So the 449 with DDR is quicker than the Cheap one with DDR2. Glad I asked because I though it was the opposite. I don't know why, but I thought DDR2 was quicker than DDR.

but thanks anyway

Reaction score
kasperbs said:
I'm not really hooked up on brand names, so it doesn't really matter what they are called. You can have a look at the links, they show the laptops I'm questioning about.

Thanks
If you read my reply the only difference is the FSB speed at which the RAM runs at.
If you want to save money go for the cheaper one.

Reaction score
kasperbs said:
OK! So the 449 with DDR is quicker than the Cheap one with DDR2. Glad I asked because I though it was the opposite. I don't know why, but I thought DDR2 was quicker than DDR.

but thanks anyway
DDR2 is quicker, but if one is running at a higher speed even though it's not DDR2 it will be quicker.:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
All Compaq Presario C700 series notebooks use DDR2 Ram ;)

So basically for an extra £50 you get slightly faster CPU and RAM - you probably won't really notice the difference in day to day use, so its up to you whether you want to spend the extra £50.

Reaction score
Ok Thanks, that makes it a bit easier. This might seem like an odd question. But I struggle to figure out the difference between graphic cards. Some cards share memory with the processor others have their own seperate memory.

Am I right in assuming that this one shares the memory with the processor?

Another laptop I'm currently looking at is the Acer Travel Mate 5520. This one have seperate memory as far as I can understand.

How important is this?

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Most onboard and some separate notebook graphics cards share memory with your RAM - on the Compaq it will use up to 512MB of your 2GB RAM - but as you have plenty it isn't a problem.

As far as I can see the Acer uses 384MB of shared memory.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The Acer uses 256MB shared memory, with up to 384 with HyperMemory active.

You can get it over here at LaptopsDirect - personally I don't like it as the CPU is not as efficient, has only 1GB RAM, smaller HD and Acer have a poor reputation when it comes to repairs.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks.
I'm not sure it is the same. This one have 160GB, the RAM is explained as: 256 MB GDDR2 SDRAM, which as I understand it is RAM speicifcally for the Grapchic card, but I might be wrong.

The graphic card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT / PCI Express - instead of a ATI Radeon X1250 as that from Laptops direct.

It has 2GB DDR2 Ram so it's the same.

But thanks for your input anyway

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I will just say this.

Everybody I know who has bought an Acer product wishes they hadn't.

Was speaking to a couple yesterday, actually, who bought two Acer laptops nine months ago and have declared them the biggest crock of crap and waste of money ever.

Generally speaking they're poor quality and the support is almost non-existent.

Still, it's your money :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
kasperbs said:
Hi, thanks.
I'm not sure it is the same. This one have 160GB, the RAM is explained as: 256 MB GDDR2 SDRAM, which as I understand it is RAM speicifcally for the Grapchic card, but I might be wrong.

The graphic card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT / PCI Express - instead of a ATI Radeon X1250 as that from Laptops direct.

It has 2GB DDR2 Ram so it's the same.
I have used specs from the Acer 5520 that is available in the UK - I can't refer to one thats available in Denmark as it doesn't apply here.

And yes the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT does indeed have dedicated memory - just a pity the only UK version I could find doesn't have it - perhaps you will do better.

But thanks for your input anyway
My pleasure and good luck with your search.

Ask a Question