multiple beeps no video

Reaction score
OK, I have gone from no beeps on the old mobo/cpu to continuous beeps on the replacement (Epox EP-8KDA3+ and Athlon 64 CPU), each about 1 second in duration (I guess this is a long versus a short beep?) about 5 seconds apart for as long as I leave it on. This is true with nothing connected, i.e., no ram, no video card, no drives, only the cpu fan running and the mobo sitting on a piece of cardboard (so no shorting issues)

Plus, when I flip the switch on the psu, the computer turns on immediately, i.e., the power on/off switch on the front of the case is bypassed. I have not been able to find a manual for this mobo, so unsure which way is correct parity, and am a bit reluctant to start reversing things for fear of blowing it up.

Is it that I have the power switch leads backward that causes the bypass, and would this also account for the beeps?

Or something else? Thanks.

Reaction score
Good morning itsme. Thanks for yours, but previously been there, done that!

I get to the download page:

http://www.epox.com/usa/article.asp?ID=1731

but when I click on the "Download User's Manual", the page times out and I get a message to the effect that the page is not responding. Still unsuccessful after re-trying including on another computer with a different OS. I have included the relevant URL above so that perhaps one or more of you might also try to d/l the pdf and if you are successful, I will have to start another thread to sort myself out on that!
user.gif

This is the first time in 10 years of internet use that I have not been able to find a manual for a relatively common piece of kit.

Reaction score
This is the first time in 10 years of internet use that I have not been able to find a manual for a relatively common piece of kit.

I know the feeling:)
It seems the site is down at the moment regarding PDF/etc files so try it later.

Reaction score
Odysseus said:
OK, I have gone from no beeps on the old mobo/cpu to continuous beeps on the replacement (Epox EP-8KDA3+ and Athlon 64 CPU), each about 1 second in duration (I guess this is a long versus a short beep?) about 5 seconds apart for as long as I leave it on. This is true with nothing connected, i.e., no ram, no video card, no drives, only the cpu fan running and the mobo sitting on a piece of cardboard (so no shorting issues)

Plus, when I flip the switch on the psu, the computer turns on immediately, i.e., the power on/off switch on the front of the case is bypassed. I have not been able to find a manual for this mobo, so unsure which way is correct parity, and am a bit reluctant to start reversing things for fear of blowing it up.

Is it that I have the power switch leads backward that causes the bypass, and would this also account for the beeps?

Or something else? Thanks.

OK I am back now:bow: First swap the cables over making sure they are in the correct place - is usually white> + can be any colour I doubt you will cause damage? [did you not have a manual supplied] anyway connect one RAM and of course monitor.
let me know what happens
PS the site is having problems so you could send them an email..

Reaction score
4 and 20 pin connectors are in place and tight. fan ran and red led on mobo lit up until I removed the battery for a minute or two, then replaced it.

Now deader than a dodo. No fan no beep no led. no nothing.

What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
OK for now. It seems that when the battery was removed, it re-activated the front panel power switch. So for the moment, that particular issue is resolved and the beeps, fan and led have returned. Whew!

But how to isolate the multiple beeps. I have tried every arrangement of the two sticks of ram, including one at a time in each slot with no luck?

With only a video card, ram and mobo (20 and 4 pin) drawing power, are we not limited to:

Bad ram
bad video card
bad cpu or mobo?

(or a short to the case and it had the same multiple beeps when run on cardboard, so I'm ruling that out for now.)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Dos it sound like a longer beep at the start and then 3 shorter beeps??

Like Beeeep, beep, beep, beep, then repeat. Because that is normally the Graphics Card.

Reaction score
HTML:
continuous beeps on the replacement (Epox EP-8KDA3+ and Athlon 64 CPU), 
 each about 1 second in duration (I guess this is a long versus a short beep?)
  about 5 seconds apart for as long as I leave it on.

in other words: a one second beep followed by four seconds of silence, repeat for as long as power is on.

Reaction score
Ok start again?

You have set-up the CPU> RAM>POWER>Graphics card? Have you got? A mouse and keyboard attached?

You have no need to remove the battery to reset the BIOS use a jumper on the MOBO all connections are marked be it very small print but they are marked so get a magnifying glass and read them that goes for all the connections.

Attachments

• EP-8kda3[1].jpg
    EP-8kda3[1].jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 123

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Right okay, thats gonna be the Memory or a memory controller on the motherboard, no real way to tell which one apart from the other but to try your memory in a different PC and see if it works.

The Memory controller going nuts is more than likely a corrupt BIOS, no real way to fix it.

Reaction score
Apology for disappearing, but there was a loss of a relative.

I substituted, separately, a psu and ram from a working computer. Finally bought a mobo tester and all indicated a dead mobo. Fortunately the seller has agreed to take it back even though I was several days past the return notification date.

So will replace with a low end dual core mobo/psu, probably socket AM2 or 775. Would like to keep the total spend under $150 inasmuch as this computer is not used for anything more demanding than keeping many instances of firefox open simulataneously.

Does anyone know of a mobo review site that has a fairly good number of reviews?

Also if anyone has seen a mag article or internet resource that compared low end dual core bundles, a URL would be most appreciated.

Finally, keeping the above 'specifications' in mind, does anyone have any thoughts about AMD vs Intel low end dual core chips or comments about boards (good or bad experience)?

TIA

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Thats sad. :(

If you're looking for cheap parts, Aria is a good website:
www.aria.co.uk
But if you're not in the UK, you may have to pay extra, and I'm not even sure that they ship worldwide. You could still try.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Seems like most of your pc is ok and all you need is a mobo. For $33 inc postage you could get this,

http://www.barebonekit.net/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB64ASUSK8VMX

from here,

http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboards/socket_754.htm

It has onboard graphics and LAN so has everything you would need for Firefox surfing. If that is all you will use the pc for why not put a linux os on it ? Something like Damm Small Linux or Mint or Kanotix then you will have a pretty safe and very fast set up for surfing.

I am assuming of course that you live in the USA as you did not specify.

happywave.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Something like Damm Small Linux or Mint or Kanotix then you will have a pretty safe and very fast set up for surfing.
Yeah thats a good idea and and has extras: Linux is very small and not as demanding as Windows and also, Linux is immune to viruses.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The one mentioned has a 24 pin plus a 4 pin mobo power connector, whereas my psu is a 20 pin plus a 4 pin. Have never dealt with the difference before. Is there some sort of adapter, or does it require a different psu with a 24 pin?

Looks like a good solution, but if it means buying a new psu, I would need to look for a 20 pin board.

BTW, I run Ubuntu 8.04 on that computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Odysseus said:
Thanks for that. The one mentioned has a 24 pin plus a 4 pin mobo power connector, whereas my psu is a 20 pin plus a 4 pin. Have never dealt with the difference before. Is there some sort of adapter, or does it require a different psu with a 24 pin?

Looks like a good solution, but if it means buying a new psu, I would need to look for a 20 pin board.

Your PSU is a 24pin
nod.gif
slide the end 4 pins off put the 20 pin in the block for 20pin
and the 4 pin in the block at the top left hand side:) for the 4 pin they will explain in the book;)

Ask a Question