AMI BIOS Codes

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to sort out a problem on a Windows 98 machine for my aunt. It is a Packard Bell 9750 with AMI BIOS. An ancient piece of equipment I agree:nod:

When I first turned the machine on I did get a boot screen but after a couple of seconds the monitor went into standby mode, however the computer remained on, as the fans were still running. I depressed the power button and the system powered down immediately.

I rebooted and this time i got no display but a series of beep codes - 2 short beeps , followed by 8 short beeps. I checked the codes and believed it to be the video card. I swapped this to another old Win 98 machine i have and the display came on and everything was fine. Strange i thought. I then tried the video card that i know is working and again the same beep codes.

I put the original card back in and still received the same beep codes.

I removed the memory and now the computer boots but with no beep codes. Also to reboot now i need to hold the power button in for about 5 seconds. I have also removed all peripherals hard drives etc and just rebooted with just the CPU, Mobo and PSU. Again no beep codes at all.

I have tried to boot into safe mode but nothing happens.

This has really got me stumped. I'm thinking that maybe the memory is bad and so should replace this??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Looks like you might be right mate, could be the memory or the memory controller, can you use the memory from the other Win 98 rig you have to check it???

Is just gonna be a case of swopping parts out for things you know to work, until you come across the right bit.

Definetly sounds like Memory or some Motherboard fault.

Can you check the temps also in the BIOS?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You need a hdd conected to boot into windows.

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Tried swapping the memory of my other computer and this creates the same error beeps. Not sure if the memory is the correct type as on it it has PC100-222-620 and the one in the other computer has PC100-322-620. Is there a difference?

Without the memory stick in it seems to boot properly but still no display. As soon as I reinsert the memory and boot up I get all the beep codes. I guess this is my problem?? But if the two types of memory that I described above can be used in the system and the other memory should have worked what could be the problem? Is it worth purchasing new memory and seeing what happen? Any ideas where to get it from?

Couldn't check bios temps as got no display.

Thanks in advance:)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well if you've swopped out the Memory and Graphics cards for known working ones then all you are left with is the Motherboard, Hard drive or CPU.

Reaction score
I've swapped out HDD and it is working. Swapped also the memory and that is working too.

Processor is AMD Athlon using socket A. As my other PC uses a totally different socket there is no way I can check that the processor is working (apart from the fans working on the cooler).

How can i check a) the mobo is working, b) the processor is working with the PC continually going into POST.

You also mentioned the memory controller. How can I check if this is working?

As I get no screen at all and the system goes straight into a POST error and shuts down I am now at a loss.

Hope you someone can help!:)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well mate, from what you've said it does sound like a problem with the motherboard, you will have to pay someone to fix it, also the CPU fan will spin anyway.

However the motherboard is worth less than what it would cost to fix it,

Best bet try ebay for a cheap Socket A motherboard.

Or get a very budget PC from here;

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...+PC+with+XP+Pro+(Intel+2400)+?productId=33044

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...+Intel+P4+3.0GHz+Slimline+PC+?productId=33791

They are refurbished but its a working PC on the cheap.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help.

I think I will try getting a cheap motherboard and seeing what happens.

Cheers

Ask a Question