Com powering up but not booting up

Reaction score
When I start the com up it begins beeping like crazy, but no video signal to the monitor. The problem started when I powered down the com after a blue screen of death (physical memory dump cleared), then the com would power up but not boot up bios. (still makes a beep when powered up) Then, after one more restart, the monitor refused to turn on at all and the computer makes an insistent beeping tone, like it's repeatedly trying to boot up but keeps failing. I've tried changing the graphics card, as well as removing all but 1 ram chip, but the com still won't boot up.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and link. Apparently I have an overheating CPU. Not sure if it's the fan or heatsink. Heck, perhaps the entire thing is just fried. I guess i'll try replacing it for now.

Reaction score
OK first thing you need to do is open up hte case and make sure the FAn is turning. Second thing is if it's turning look beneath the fan to check the fins on the Heatsink are not blocked.

If they are fine you may have to reseat the CPU with new compound. However you will need to get some from somewhere. Ideally Artic Silver or equivilent. Dont forget to clean both CPU and Underneath of heatsink first with a Citrus Based cleaner or something suitable for the job. I dont recommend Meths

Let us know how you get on ;)

http://www.leftclicks.co.uk/home.php?page=show_review&review_id=10

Reaction score
But if it's immidiatly overheating the chances are it's already cooked..... most CPUs unless overclocked will get to the booting stage before causing a heat issue. So to be the bringer of bad news.

Ask a Question