screen blank when i turn computer on

Reaction score
computer:
Intel D845WN motherboard
Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb
2 kingston 256mb PC133 CL3 168 - Pin DIMM
intel pentium 4 1.8 ghz
windows xp

i just installed a TR2-430W power supply last night because the old one died. when i turned it on it seemed like everything loaded fine but nothing came on the screen and the computer made some beeps. the beep order was "1 long 2 short - pause - 2 short" also when i hit any keys on the keyboard or click the mouse it makes a beep. i looked up the beep codes last night and i was wondering could it be a video problem and a ram problem? also if it is a video or ram problem would it be safe to test a different video card on this computer or test this video card on another computer, and the same for the ram? thanks for any help

Reaction score
Yeah its safe to try the card or memory in another machine if you can find one they will fit into. A process of elimination is best ;)

As long as there is no shorts on the video card or memory then it should be safe

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is possible, seen it happen, that when the old PSU died it sent a jolt to the MB.

It looks like you have two problems ... one video = 1 beep-2 beep & one memory = 2-beep

As you say, you need to swap 'em out to test. :thumb:

Your MB uses an Intel/AMI BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

user.gif

Ask a Question