I've lost my memory

Reaction score
First of all, be prepared for some pretty dumb comments. I'm not at all computer literate and somehow bumble along.
I have just started to have memory problems. In Task Manager Commit Charge is up around total 800,000k and Physical memory total 261,000k. At times vsmon.exe seems to be using a lot of k's. All I have done in the last couple of days that I can think might have upset my little machine is stick one of those UBS sticks in to attempt to take the settings from Dragon voice recognition so that I can copy them to the same program now I have put it onto my new laptop. Could this have caused my problem, trying to back up Dragon onto the F drive (I dont know if it worked). Since then computer very slow. Zone Labs tries to load at start up but can't any longer. I tried System Restore in the vain hope that re-setting to Tuesday would help (you can see what you are up against here)but no joy. Can anyone suggest anything please - in simple words, or will a system management program help (if I can download it). I have tried to download Zonelabs again but get stuck when it says I need to get back to Service Manager whatever that is . Machine has 256mb.
confused.gif

Can anyone help please?
Kind regards

Bewildered

Reaction score
OK, sounds like zonealarm is broken. when you say it tries to startup but doesn't, what happens? errors etc. Also can you post the exact message you get when attempting to reinstall zonealarm.

Reaction score
Techy

Thanks for looking at this for me. When the initial downloads start, a box appears to say Zone Labs is initiallising and it seems to be attempting to download but the little icon that appears at the bottom taskbar turns orange and disappears instead of staying there to show that Zone Labs is working.

When I have tried to re-insate Zone Alarm, I get a box saying that it is initializing and saying that it might take several minutes. Then a box appears "Setup is unable to log into the TreuVector service. Installation cannot continue without logging in to the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then re-start the installation program"

Where do I find the service manager please.

Regards

Bewildered

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Assuming your using XP - go to Settings>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services, scroll to the TrueVector entry, click on it and select stop :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks Adywebb. Yes, XP. Unfortunately stop is greyed out. Status of TreuVector is "starting". Could I go to Properties. log on and disable?

Am I right in thinking that the USB plug in is just coincidence and it is Zone Alarm causing the problem, being in the background and trying to install that is slowing up the machine? If so I am reluctant to go through all this again at some time. I know I am jumping ahead but can you recommend an alternative as I don't want to lose another weekend again.
Bewildered

Reaction score
boot into safe mode and disable the service. its obv havin a few probs startin.

Reaction score
I've done that twice. To give you some idea of my limitations I had to look up how to go to safe mode. First time did the change using F8 key and second time using msconfig and run. First time disabled it but on restart zonealarm continues to try to load so went in again to check and it is still shown as disabled and on second restart it is still at it. Also now have System Config Utility notice appear saying SCU is in Diagnostic mode and CSU will run every time Windows starts and I should chose the normal start up mode on the general tab to start windows normally and undo the changes mase using the SCU. Obviously I want windows to start normally but presumably don't want to undo the changes.
Also I have two ccounts in XP. We set one upfor her indoors but only now use the one in my name. When in safe mode the choice of accounts to use were Administrator and Her Indoors so I chose Administrator - was that right?
So it is still at it - any further ideas please? Once we isolate it do I then delete the program and re-download?
Regards

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Bewildered said:
Thanks Adywebb. Yes, XP. Unfortunately stop is greyed out. Status of TreuVector is "starting". Could I go to Properties. log on and disable?
Right click on the entry and select Properties>Startup Type>Disabled then re-boot your PC :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Is this after you go to Settings>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services before right clicking on the entry?

Reaction score
No, after I have right clicked, gone into properties and changed start up to disabled. When I then click OK or Apply I get the message.

Reaction score
I should add that at one stage earlier a message appeared sayingthat TrueVector has had to close and asking me to inform m/s. I thought all was well until I closed down and re booted only for it to reappear and fail again to load.

Bw

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just been reading through your posts again, and see you have attempted to re-install ZoneLabs, but don't see mention of uninstalling it - are you able to go to add/remove programs and uninstall?

Reaction score
Success at last. I did try to uninstall yesterday before troubling you guys but with no luck. I tried through CCleaner but this time through control panel.

1)Presumably this is just a hiccup that happens from time to time with Zonelabs and it still makes sense to re-instate it?

2) The help given by you and Techy (I hope you are reading this Techy) is much appreciated. What can the clueless like me do to help you guys? You obviously spend ages on here just helping others. Is there some way that we can show our appreciation ( cash excepted!)

Kind regards
Bewildered

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Bewildered said:
First of all, be prepared for some pretty dumb comments.

You've lost your memory, I've lost my mind.
Har!
ok im done :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm glad your now sorted, if you've had no problems with it in the past it would probably make sense to clean it off completely before reinstalling - check the registry to make sure there are no entries left behind, and also delete the programs folder for it if it is still there - CCleaner should remove most if not all of it.

Your thanks are appreciated - if you want to do something to help, why not join our crunching team in donating the spare cycles of your PC in finding a cure for cancer and other diseases?

Have a look HERE :thumb:

Ask a Question