Upgrading Memory - help appreciated

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I would like to add a bit more memory to my system - which is ageing a bit now. But after looking around at all the RAM offerings, some help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still running Vista HP 32-bit (yes, I hear the howls of derision... lol.) At the moment, there are two Corsair memory sticks inside. Their spec (according to SIW) is:

Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots: 4
Error Correction: None
DRAM Frequency: 373.2 MHz
Memory Timings: 5-5-5-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Manufacturer: Corsair
Part Number: CM2X1024-6400
Capacity: 1024 MBytes
Memory Type: DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Speed: 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
Supported Frequencies 270 MHz, 400 MHz
Memory Timings 4-4-4-13-15 at 270 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 5-5-5-18-22 at 400 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
Manufacturing Date 2006, Week 23
EPP SPD Support: No
XMP SPD Support: No
I believe I'm right in thinking that the system wouldn't "see" more than 3 or 3.5 GB altogether, therefore no point in installing anything greater than 4 GB (am I correct so far..?)

So my question is.... what to choose? I went to Crucial's website and allowed it to scan the system. It came up with this:

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 (ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500 with a maximum of 4GB kit (2GBx2) per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
Frankly, my brain is doing double summersaults with all those numbers! Dumb I know. :blush:

I've just checked-out Novatech... they have about 200 choices (not all of which would be suitable, of course...) but, what would you recommend? And should I renew the existing 2 at the same time (seeing that they're a bit old now?)

Sorry this is soooo long, I was trying to ensure all the relevant details had been included... but think I might have gone into overkill.

Thank you for looking. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Motherboard, tell me what that is (SiW should say) then the MB manual will give you the spec of memory.

These online mem diagnostics are, however, pretty good, especially the one from Crucial

Yes, you are correct in your assumption about the 4gb muggings

Keep your two, add 2x1gb more ... Crucial wanted to replace my existing ram with all new stuff. err, no thanks, my MB is funny about using all 4 slots so they are correct-ish.

:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I believe I'm right in thinking that the system wouldn't "see" more than 3 or 3.5 GB altogether, therefore no point in installing anything greater than 4 GB (am I correct so far..?)
Correct, thats because your running a 32 bit OS. :)

So my question is.... what to choose? I went to Crucial's website and allowed it to scan the system. It came up with this:

Frankly, my brain is doing double summersaults with all those numbers! Dumb I know. :blush:

I've just checked-out Novatech... they have about 200 choices (not all of which would be suitable, of course...) but, what would you recommend? And should I renew the existing 2 at the same time (seeing that they're a bit old now?)

Sorry this is soooo long, I was trying to ensure all the relevant details had been included... but think I might have gone into overkill.

Thank you for looking. :D

Going by what you posted above, this is the same RAM your running at the mo

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/02gb...800)-240-pins-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-5-5-5-18

or Ebuyer if you prefer them...

http://www.ebuyer.com/98710-corsair...t-non-ecc-unbuffered-cl5-1-9v-twin2x2048-6400

That would do you fine. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you SOOOO much V_R and Mucks ... I really ended-up confusing myself completely!

The Mobo, (listed on my Computer Specs on left) is: ASUS M2N SLi DeLuxe Dual DDR2 S-ATA II :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, the RAM i posted will be fine, and its the same as what you have now so should cause you no issues. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I really appreciate your help, thanks again. Hopefully, it will give my system a little perk-up. :thumb:

Ask a Question