isearch toolbar

neil madden

the iseacrh toolbar has been self installed on my
explorer.
I have tried everything... when I right click I cannot
change toolbar options (unhighlighted)
I have done searches for Isearch on the system as well as
looked at the registry under currentusers/..... down to..
explorer/toolbars... but still nothing..
This toolbar slows the system down... any help appreciated

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

neil madden said:
the iseacrh toolbar has been self installed on my
explorer.
I have tried everything... when I right click I cannot
change toolbar options (unhighlighted)
I have done searches for Isearch on the system as well as
looked at the registry under currentusers/..... down to..
explorer/toolbars... but still nothing..
This toolbar slows the system down... any help appreciated

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded. There's also a lot more to do than just those two programs.
CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Neil, I got the exact same problem today. I have a Dell computer with paid support. They had heard of the problem, but they told me to look for isearch.exe and delete it. The file did not exist. Their final solution was to ask me to backup my hard drive & wipe it for a full reinstall. I do not like this option. Any solutions that you have would be grreatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don Varnau

John,
It appears that CWShredder, Ad-aware & Spybot don't remove this.

Go to Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Read the instructions regarding HijackThis. Post a HJT log to the Spyware
and Hijackware Removal Support forum at
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

There are several ISearch logs posted there now. Read those threads to see
if you have the same HJT entries. It would be safest to post a new log with
isearch in the title.

Read the rest of http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm including security
tips.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

John said:
Neil, I got the exact same problem today. I have a Dell computer with
paid support. They had heard of the problem, but they told me to look for
isearch.exe and delete it. The file did not exist. Their final solution
was to ask me to backup my hard drive & wipe it for a full reinstall. I do
not like this option. Any solutions that you have would be grreatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Note - the isearch toolbar is gone, but my toolbar is still locked....any suggestions on how to unlock? this also affects winows explorer i think.

this also fixed a problem i have had for a long time where i could not type something into the toolbar using www.yahoo.com (or any other web site). it always had to be preceded by http:// or else i would get a "not found" error. now if i could only unlock my tool bars......

Don Varnau

John,
In what way are toolbars (address bar?) locked?
Do you mean that View> Toolbars> Lock/unlock the toolbars doesn't work?
Or are you unable to change your search engine?

Don

"John" wrote in message
this also fixed a problem i have had for a long time where i could not
type something into the toolbar using www.yahoo.com (or any other web site).
it always had to be preceded by http:// or else i would get a "not found"
error. now if i could only unlock my tool bars......

Don

My toolbars are locked in that when I go to the drop down menu, I click on View, Toolbars, and everything is disabled except for "text labels". I can not change which toolbars I want to activate or remove. The same is true for both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer

John

Don Varnau

John,
Are you familiar with regedit? Run regedit and search for (Edit> Find) the
Value "NoToolbarOptions"
It may show up 2 or more times. Wherever you find that value, right-click it
and modify the value from 1 to 0.
Two likely locations for it would be:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions
and
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions

If that's not the fix, post back. If you're not familiar with regedit, post
back.

Don
--

"John" wrote in message
Don,

My toolbars are locked in that when I go to the drop down menu, I click on
View, Toolbars, and everything is disabled except for "text labels". I can
not change which toolbars I want to activate or remove. The same is true
for both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

Don

I am slightly familiar with regedit, but no expert. I did run the search, and it did not turn up anything. In fact, internet explorer is not one of the nodes in either of those directories. I only have these directories: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ and
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\; There is no \InternetExplorer\ directory under either node. So I searched the whole registry & found nothing for the Value "NoToolbarOptions". There is a directory called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\, and another one called
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ with a few directories underneath (on is "Explorer Bars"). But none seem to have an entry for "NoToolbarOptions". Should I add something like that to the registry? Is there another value to search for?

Don,

I have tried adding the keys & DWORD in the registry according to the path that you gave me, but the toolbars are still locked / disabled. Have you been able to think of anything

John

I was attacked by iSearch again while browsing the internet! It reinstalled itself & I deleted it again. But the toolbars are still locked.

Don Varnau

John,
Recent posts here and at other forums indicate that Ad-aware can remove
this:
Ad-aware 6- Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Ad-aware should be installed, *updated* then run.

Go to http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm#LockedBars for instructions to
unlock the toolbar.

Go to Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
and
Security Issues for Windows and IE:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/security.htm
for security tips.

Hope this helps. You were apparently in the first wave of users to be hit
with ISearch. ;-)

Don
--

"John" wrote in message
I was attacked by iSearch again while browsing the internet! It
reinstalled itself & I deleted it again. But the toolbars are still locked.

I have read this whole thread as I have the exact same problem, but the catch is that I can't access ANY of the sites recommended by Don

It seems to be more than just an accident that just the pages that could help me solve this is blocked
Other pages work fine

I guess I have to figure out how to enter the reg key manually...........

mv

Magnu

Ramesh [MVP]

Magnus,

Can't see the original thread:

iSearch seem to make entries to HOSTS file as well. Rename the file named "HOSTS" (without a file extension). This tip is from MVP Mike Burgess. The HOSTS file will be present in the following location:

Windows XP=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K=C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME=C:\WINDOWS

Just rename the HOSTS file to OLDHOSTS and try the remaining part of the advice.

[More Information]
Toolbars are locked - Unable to customize toolbar and tool band:
http://209.68.48.119/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm

[Spyware removers - This part not to be skipped]
Lavasoft Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
(Spyware removers are rules-based and are updated very frequently as and when new malware is discovered. Therefore, update both of these tools before scanning, very important)
CWShredder : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

[All about HOSTS file]
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:
http://209.68.48.119/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Toolbars are locked - Unable to customize toolbar and tool band:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

Hi

I have read this whole thread as I have the exact same problem, but the catch is that I can't access ANY of the sites recommended by Don.

It seems to be more than just an accident that just the pages that could help me solve this is blocked ?
Other pages work fine!

I guess I have to figure out how to enter the reg key manually............

mvh

Magnus