unwanted isearch toolbar

Dear friends:

How on earth do I remove an unwanted 'isearch' toolbar
from Internet Explorer? I can't figure it out.
Thank you.

Dear Don:

Thank you for the very kind help. I am most frustrated.
Evidently, this evil 'isearch' adware virus prohibits me
from going to either www.mvps.org or www.lavasoft.de. It
is apparently smart enough to know and stop websites
which can eliminate it. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you again.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

Dear Don:

Thank you for the very kind help. I am most frustrated.
Evidently, this evil 'isearch' adware virus prohibits me
from going to either www.mvps.org or www.lavasoft.de. It
is apparently smart enough to know and stop websites
which can eliminate it. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you again.

From Mike Burgess:
First, rename your HOSTS file as "iSearch" hijacks that also,
preventing you from reaching many "anti-spyware" sites (including mine
Then download and run Ad-Aware (see below)

They also disable several other IE toolbar functions!

Copy and paste the below to Notepad
"File Types" drop-down menu = all files
Save as: UnlockToolbar.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
er]
"NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
"NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000000
"Btn_Search"=dword:00000000
"SpecifyDefaultButtons"=dword:00000000

To use: right-click and select: Merge

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Don Varnau

Ad-aware from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ will remove this.

If your toolbars are still locked go to
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm#LockedBars > #32

Don

I didn't want to play in the registry so I just used adaware and then
uninstalled IE and re-installed it. Would that be enough to completly
remove this nastiness from my PC? Thanks

Follow the HOSTS file advice from Frank Saunders in this thread. The
uninstaller at http://www.isearch.com/faq.php was safe and (usually)
effective a week or two ago. I don't know if it will still completely remove
ISearch.

Don