IP renewal problem

G

When I boot up my computer I'm having a problem connecting to the Internet using Adelphia's Power Link. I have to run IPCONFIG and renew the IP address manually most but not all of the time. Adelphia keeps telling me it's a Windows XP problem. I started having this problem back during the Christmas holidays and am still having it now. Only programs I've added/updated were Norton Anti Virus (went to 2004) and Sygate Personal Firewall since I started having problems. I've uninstalled Sygate and it still had problems. Could it be Norton or something Adelphia is doing. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to try next!

G

You might have spyware on your computer. Try getting both adaware and spybot which can be downloaded for free from www.download.com. Install, update and run both cleaning utilities

Is this Adelphia's Power Link some type of cable or DSL or similar connection. Phone companies and such in my experience buy the cheapest (unreliable) equipment possible for comsumer use. Do you have a friend you could swap with just to see if it fixes the problem? If this fixes your problem they should replace the defective equipment for you. Hard for them to argue with you if swapping works.

G

I've tried both Adaware and Spybot with no luck. Power Link is Adelphia's cable service. My cable was OK and they say it's still OK. Not sure if I can switch with some friends or not. Adelphia keeps telling me it's an XP problem on my end. If I run the IPCONFIG /RENEW command I get a connection.

G

If You can't switch modems with somebody else. Try bringing your computer to their place and see if it works. Unfortunately you will have to do some leg work to fix this. You may also maybe try plugging in a laptop. If they all have the same problem at your place it has to be the modem. If you switch modems and it works, it's the modem.

G

George

I can try my daughters Lap Top and check it out. If I still have the same problem then I'll know it's not my computer. If so I get to have fun with Adelphia. Thanks

Tom

G

George

I tried my daughters laptop and it had the same problem. Called Adelphia and they are sending out a tech with a new modem for me to try. They think it might be my card or the port in the modem that runs to the card. Either way it's there parts so I shouldn't have to pay for them. Lucky me. If not I may have to use the USB cable that came with the modem. Thanks for your help so far. My fingers are crossed

Tom

Ask a Question