Internet problems - pages taking forever to load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi folks (newbie here).

Over the past few days my internet as been playing up. Pages take an eternity to load and I have noticed every so often my connection changes from 'Local and Internet' to 'Local' only. I have checked all connections and everything is normal. My connection runs from an Orange Livebox (wired connection) and this is working as normal. I have a PC downstairs which runs off a wireless connection from the same Livebox and no apparent internet issues so it seems the problem lies with my PC which runs off the wired connection.

I have checked my phone line and everything is fine with that too. Really annoying me that I can't surf the net as normal. My browser is Firefox and I thought this may have been the issue but same issues occur through I.E.

Can anyone help please?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What happens when using another browser?

Try a reboot of the livebox

Try running the following command from a DOS window: ipconfig /flushdns

Welcome to PVReview. :)

Reaction score
Hi mate. Thanks for your help.

When I try Internet Explorer I get same issues. I also rebooted the livebox, unplugged all connections and tried again but made no difference.

However you/I may just have hit the jackpot with your suggestion to run the ipconfig /flushdns! Literally just did it a few moments ago and immediately pages have loaded quicker than they have been doing :thumb:

Fingers crossed it's not just coincidence, I'll report back later!

In the meantime, can you tell me what I just did by running that command? What is the root of this problem, to prevent from happening again?

Reaction score
No such luck - must have just been coincidence because pages still taking forever to load. Especially those like Youtube or those with (seemingly) flash content. Even this site was sitting at connecting again for a minute or so. :(

Back to square one me thinks.

muckshifter

Reaction score
By using the 'ipconfig /flushdns' command, you delete the contents of the DNS resolver cache, meaning that your system will now recheck its settings to see where it should be going to get DNS addresses.

What anti-virus/spyware scanner have you used?

my connection changes from 'Local and Internet' to 'Local' only
When I said to reboot modem, I meant to say 're-set' it.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/232435

NOTE; When you return your Livebox to factory settings, it will delete any changes you've made to your Livebox settings. This includes your broadband username and password, which the Livebox needs to connect to the Internet.

:user:

Reaction score
Hi again mate.

I reset my Livebox this morning and, yes, it did require my to key in my username and password to reset the connection. Didn't improve anything though.

I have McAfee Internity Security running on my system. Full scans via this and Windows Defender and have not found any viruses. Windows is also on automatic updates so everything up to date.

The pages are still taking forever to load. For example when I click on the link, Firefox shows as connecting. When I hit reload/refresh the pages then load but slowly. Some sites take longer to load, for example this site takes less time to load than say Skybet.

As an aside, I noticed another weird thing (not sure if connected to the same issue; doubt it), in that two days ago I had approx 17 GB of space left on my C: drive but when i checked again yesterday I had 33GB of space! Now I did clean up a few things but not to the extent of creating 16GB of extra space, not even a GB if truth be told! None of my files seem to be missing so can't make sense of that one.

The PC downstairs has a wireless connection through the same Livebox and the connection there seems to be fine.

Really appreciate your help. If you can help some more I would really appreciate it. :cheers:

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, well I would turn off, better still, I would bin/delete/shred MCrappie ... go get Microsoft Security Essentials, it will turn off Windows Defender as that is not needed with MSE, that also should turn on MS's Firewall.

ayou may need to go get the mcrappie removal tool ...

http://mcafee-removal-tool.com/

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

if that don't work, I'm a bit lost.

As an aside, I noticed another weird thing (not sure if connected to the same issue; doubt it), in that two days ago I had approx 17 GB of space left on my C: drive but when i checked again yesterday I had 33GB of space! Now I did clean up a few things but not to the extent of creating 16GB of extra space, not even a GB if truth be told! None of my files seem to be missing so can't make sense of that one.
strange, go get the HD manufactures tool to check your HD

:user:

Reaction score
And we have a winner :bow::cheers::dance:
So I did what you said, uninstalled McAfee and hey presto! Whilst uninstalling that pile of dung I also noticed it had reinstalled a new version of itself on 30/11/2011, which was when my probs started! Thanks for hanging in there with me - you're a star! As I have been with McAfee for years and never had a problem until now I guess I had foolishly ruled this out as the root of the problem. Clearly something wrong with their latest update.

As I said, I have been running McAfee for years (I renew my subscription every year and have to say have never had a problem before now) but now I am at a loss as to what to do for extra security. My subscription wasn't due to run out with them until April so can't really afford to be buying another one elsewhere yet.

I know I am pushing it here but can you recommend any decent anti-virus software? Or is it all a big rip-off?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just re-read your last message again to see what you already recommended! :blush:

Reaction score
I used to use GData internet security but have installed Microsoft Security Essentials about 6 months ago and have found it to be as good or better than commercial ones, it runs quietly in the background, is very light on resources and as Mr Mucks said it is free. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question