Laptop connection problems,

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware problem. We have two laptops, an old Dell Inspiron 1300 and a newer Acer, until a few days ago both had internet via our Orange modem, Livebox 9AFO.

Now we have at best a few hours a day. To start with the Livebox was disappearing completely from the list of available connections, then it would come back but not allow connection, then it would suddently let us online with no problems for anything from 5 minutes to several hours.

Today we have had no access ot the internet via either machine. Both show an excellent signal but will not connect.

We emailed Orange and were told to phone them, which we did. Unfortunately I had to out the phone down in the end as I couldn't understand a word the woman was saying.

Any ideas of what we can try ourselves or do I ring again tomorrow and hope I get someone I can understand.

(Interestingly I contacted 3 about my dongle, also out of action, they phoned me, the guy was very patient, spoke clearly and has sent me a free replacement SIM,)

Reaction score
have you tried the laptops on a friend wireless connection?

If you get through on them ok, I would fall toward a faulty modem

Reaction score
have you tried the laptops on a friend wireless connection?

If you get through on them ok, I would fall toward a faulty modem

Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is the modem, seems unlikely that both laptops would have the same fault at the same time.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is the modem, seems unlikely that both laptops would have the same fault at the same time.

Have you tried doing a hard reset on the modem ?

Reaction score
Is that where you crawl round on the floor shortsightedly peering and trying to find the stupid little button on the back?

Pretty much yes. However doing a hard reset will probably cause you to lose all your WEP settings and passwords etc

Usually press the reset for about 5seconds and it reboots to defaults

Reaction score
Pretty much yes. However doing a hard reset will probably cause you to lose all your WEP settings and passwords etc

Usually press the reset for about 5seconds and it reboots to defaults

I think I've done it, everything crossed. it has been on and off again before, hopefully it will stick around long enough for my online OU tutorial tonight. I think we will go for a new package anyway, I don't trust this modem any more, it is getting old poor thing.

Decision time now, which package to go for..... .

Reaction score
It only worked for a little while, well a couple of days. I managed to get old of someone at Orange who I could understand and it seems it is a known problem at the moment with some IP addresses. They are working on it. In the meantime I can either keep playing with the modem or get a cable.

A cable is on its way.

Reaction score
OK, the saga goes on. I did eventually speak to someone from orange who I could understand and was told 'this is a known problem with some IP addresses and we are working on it' Not vey useful really. In the meantime I have got myself an ethernet cable so at least I have a reliable connection for online tutorials and such things.

This morning I replied to their customer feedback survey and was deridingly scathing about their 'help' so far. I got a call back within a few hours and they have talked me through how to change the transmission channel. If this doesn't work the they will change the modem.

It seems we are getting somewhere, slowly.

Reaction score
Well I have now changed the channel, I never knew it was so easy. So far it has been reliable and a good or excellent signal whereas before it was fair at best. Fingers crossed it stays this way. There are two more transmission channels to try if this one fails.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware problem. We have two laptops, an old Dell Inspiron 1300 and a newer Acer, until a few days ago both had internet via our Orange modem, Livebox 9AFO.

Now we have at best a few hours a day. To start with the Livebox was disappearing completely from the list of available connections, then it would come back but not allow connection, then it would suddently let us online with no problems for anything from 5 minutes to several hours.

Today we have had no access ot the internet via either machine. Both show an excellent signal but will not connect.

We emailed Orange and were told to phone them, which we did. Unfortunately I had to out the phone down in the end as I couldn't understand a word the woman was saying.

Any ideas of what we can try ourselves or do I ring again tomorrow and hope I get someone I can understand.

(Interestingly I contacted 3 about my dongle, also out of action, they phoned me, the guy was very patient, spoke clearly and has sent me a free replacement SIM,)

luis .A.

well i not sure about your problem
but if u donot have an intenet connection
try these 2 things
one just unplug everthing clean everthing then plug it all back in
might have been some dust or a loose cable. that one
the second is do a ping on both computer s
to do a ping
go to the start/ then the help and support
from here you need to
1 input in the search ip config

Last edited: