Initialize Junk filtering stops me opening Windows Mail

Steve and Gary,

Hurray, hurray! You have a satisfied customer! Steve's last suggestion
worked. Thanks very much indeed for sorting this one out - being without
access to my emails for what seems like 3 years but is actually only 3 days
has been a very worrying nightmare. I am not sure what is the cyberspace
equivalent of buying you a beer but if you are ever in the fens of north
Cambridgeshire drop in and see me.

I have three remaining issues which I would value your advice on.

1. What do I do with the copy of the HKEY file I made - delete it?
2. How do I get access to my old emails which I understand were in the
files I made copies of earlier in my documents folder, when I deleted the
winmail folders? (I do not need to copy them all into the my new mail
folder structure but I do need to get into them).
3. What do I do with the disconnected Norton Antivirus. I understand I do
not need it for winmail but does it need to be there at all for example to
check stuff I download from the internet or to open attachments sent to me?

Thanks again for everything so far.

Mike

Steve Cochran

Glad to hear it.

1. If everything is working okay, then just delete it. It was a backup
"just in case".

2. Find your old message store directory by searching for *.eml. Then you
can drag the search results from the results window into an WinMail folder.
Or you can go to File | Import | Messages and point to that directory.

3. Get rid of Norton and get an antivirus product that is less invasive.

steve

Steve,

Thanks for your further suggestions, I was able to find and restore all my
old mail and was sittin here fat, dumb and happy again when the local gales
blew a tree onto my telephone line just up the road and I was without email
again from Sat til Wed.

Yesterday I downloaded the Avast AV software but today my email was not
working again! A system restore to before loading Avast fixed it. It
seems like Avast was the problem. I first of all downloaded the free Avast
but it quickly decided that I needed to spend $49 on buying the product.
Have I wasted my money? What should I do now?

I would value your advice.

Mike

Steve Cochran

Maybe I spoke too soon about AVAST. Others seem to indicate it works fine.
One always should turn off email scanning regardless of AV program.

Watch out for falling trees. <G>

steve

fady

tried it , it works !!!!!! thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!!
i used the repair data base button....

Fady

Ray

Mike said:
When I try to open mail I get the error message:

" Windows mail could ot be started. initialize junk mail filtering. Your
computer may be out of memory or your disk is full (0x80070002)"

My disk is certainly not full. After that I get another error message:

"Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized."

What does this mean and what do I do to open up my mail system again?

If MS going to issue an upgrade to is mail system - it seems to have so many
problems and deficiencies?

Thanks. Mike

Ray

Mike said:
When I try to open mail I get the error message:

" Windows mail could ot be started. initialize junk mail filtering. Your
computer may be out of memory or your disk is full (0x80070002)"

My disk is certainly not full. After that I get another error message:

"Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized."

What does this mean and what do I do to open up my mail system again?

If MS going to issue an upgrade to is mail system - it seems to have so many
problems and deficiencies?

Thanks. Mike

Mike, Hi

I have the same problems with windows mail is any help from other side..?
please advise

Ray

Ray said:
Mike, Hi

I have the same problems with windows mail is any help from other side..?
please advise

Ray
Most of the problems in Windows Mail that report memory problems are
due to interference from antivirus programs, which it is seldom able to
report
correctly. What if any antivirus programs do each of you have, and have
you ever had a Norton or McAfee antivirus program on that machine, even
one of the free trial versions that often come already installed on new
computers?

Tony Palmer

I now have exactly the same problem, and identical error messages, these guys
had 2-3 years ago. Please can you tell me if there is an accepted fix, before
I try all the recommendations. Tony

Tony Palmer

Thanks for that Steve, but no change. Should I save all files to another file
location and then reinstall Windows Mail? Tony

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You can't reinstall Windows Mail since its an integral part of Vista.
You would have to reinstall all of Windows Vista.

A better solution is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://download.live.com/wlmail
It will automatically import all your Windows Mail data.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Tony Palmer" wrote in message
Thanks for that Steve, but no change. Should I save all files to another file
location and then reinstall Windows Mail? Tony

Steve Cochran

I don't know what could be the problem. You can reinitialize the message store by renaming the Windows Mail directory and then start WinMail and it will start fresh. You can then import from the old message store if things work then. If there are problems with the registry (junk rules are in there), then that won't fix the issue.

See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx for background info.

steve