Windows Mail won't open

Jan Nickerson

Just after I upgraded adobe, Windows Mail stopped working.
I get an error message: Windows Mail cannot be started, initialize junk
filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full
(0x80070002)
Followed by the error message that says: Windows Mail could not be started
because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized.
My computer has used only 100GB of 200, so disk full is not a problem.
My operating system is Vista. I run Vipre antivirus – no other anti-virus
is installed. Hardware is HP laptop.
Vipre says I have no problems and is updated. The quick scan was clean. The
deep scan isolated and quarantined 4 traces of Trojan.JS.redirector.bg(v) and
1 trace of Trojan.JS.Decdec.a(v)
What do I do to get Windows Mail working again?

Gary VanderMolen

Make sure your antivirus is not configured to scan emails.

You might try doing a System Restore to the day prior to the Adobe update.

If the problem continues, try running the various repair functions in
the WMUtil program:
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

If still no improvement, upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
http://download.live.com/wlmail
It will automatically import all your WM data.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Jan Nickerson" wrote in message
Just after I upgraded adobe, Windows Mail stopped working.
I get an error message: Windows Mail cannot be started, initialize junk
filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full
(0x80070002)
Followed by the error message that says: Windows Mail could not be started
because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized.
My computer has used only 100GB of 200, so disk full is not a problem.
My operating system is Vista. I run Vipre antivirus - no other anti-virus
is installed. Hardware is HP laptop.
Vipre says I have no problems and is updated. The quick scan was clean. The
deep scan isolated and quarantined 4 traces of Trojan.JS.redirector.bg(v) and
1 trace of Trojan.JS.Decdec.a(v)
What do I do to get Windows Mail working again?

Jan Nickerson

Hi Gary
Thank you!
I followed your instructions
Was not able to repair using WMUtil
I upgraded to Windows Live Mail -
It took forever - I wasn't sure it was doing anything but left it running
for the afternoon and when I came back, it had installed Windows Live,
although it said it wasn't able to move all my files over and I'd have to do
that myself
From what I can see, all my files were found and moved over
So I think I'm good to go
thanks again -
Jan
p.s. is there an easy way to backup Windows Live Mail periodically?

Gary VanderMolen

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.
There is no easy manual way except for File, Export, Messages...

If you want to back up all aspects of Windows Live Mail, including
account settings, rules, etc. use this third party utility:

http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-live-mail-backup/

It is free to try out for 20 days.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Jan Nickerson" wrote in message
Hi Gary
Thank you!
I followed your instructions
Was not able to repair using WMUtil
I upgraded to Windows Live Mail -
It took forever - I wasn't sure it was doing anything but left it running
for the afternoon and when I came back, it had installed Windows Live,
although it said it wasn't able to move all my files over and I'd have to do
that myself
From what I can see, all my files were found and moved over