in need of help quickly.

Reaction score
Wow 7000 I didnt know that anti-trojan was that good.
I dont get any spyware or trojans. Unless I do something stupid like trying infected freeware.
My PC is totally steathed from that stuff so I was wondering how well it worked in a badly infected machine.
I know its a good program that I put on oher PCs but they werent that infected.
I have about 8 anti-trojans and dosent find anything on my drive. I keep an infected cd to scann just to make sure its working.

I have Anti-vir, Pestpatrol, Ad-aware on my USB drive that I use to fix up others computers.
These programs are not for USB but this stuffs work on a USB. I have to copy and paste the updates into it.

I think Ill try to put this one one it.

Some trojan scanners will find stuff that others wont. I think ya just found out about this.
Ya might want to get one of the commercial ones, a couple of the free ones.

Still a custom trojan code might not be detected. Check netstat.
Oh once ya get to know the IP addresses in TPC logger or netstat you will know which ones belong.
If a hacker is connecting youll know.

Ya can pass all the online security test and a trojan can still get ya.
Keep reading these post to learn how to prevent from getting the nastys.
Being Internet steathed isnt just being hidden its also hack resistance.

Ya might google if ya want to know more.

Mulit-layered security

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
TECHGUNS said:
Ewido free beta, free with automatic updates diabled.

http://www.ewido.net/en/why/

Disspy
Thanks for the info on this software. I've never heard of it before, I had always used Spy Sweeper.

Interestingly it picked up 2 items which SS appears to have overlooked. They weren't particularly nasty issues, but never the less ....

Reaction score
I have been using it for about 4 years. I used to post alot at PCflank forums and thats where I heard of it.
I havent been there for a long time.

Its a nice forum kinda like this but its about computer security instead.
I wanted to learn how to steath a PC and its kinda like this forum ya learn a lot.

If ya want to check this out.

http://www.pcflank.com/

Ya might see TECHGUNS in old post.

OOpss Im lazy with spell check.

Last edited:
Reaction score
cheers for all the help tech.

i think i might need to do a fresh install on this hard drive with the problems, but ill install norton utilities first and use disk doctor e.t.c and see if that fixes most problems, some of them ive fixed on my own but im still coming across little problems here n threre.

i find out if i get this new job today which im farely confident i got, and first thing on my agenda is purchase the necisary anti-virus, spyware e.t.c programmes... which ones that are commercial would you reccomend???

also is AVG free agood anti-virus to keep working or is there one you would reccomend using more????

i use norton firewall, what other measures could i take to add security??? or would be more worth while googlein????

Reaction score
i tried avast, it just really confused me, didnt really like it.

also what are good worm scanners???? id feel safer having something that scans for worms because i know its virtually impossible for anything else to find them

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
No Anti virus will detect all the viruses on your computer, the problem with Anti Virus is that you only can have one installed at a time, two will conflict with each other so it is never a good idea. However, having an anti virus installed the only option is to scan online, Trend micro is a good example already mentioned another good one is from Panda software which is also very powerful and does a good job of detecting virus and various other nasties and disinfects your computer. It will work only with Internet Explorer and not with any other browser since it uses Active X technology.

First time it will download an approx 8 mb file and scan your computer, next time when you scan it will only update the virus database and scan immediately afterwords.

Here is the link if you like to try it

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
i tried avast, it just really confused me, didn't really like it.

also what are good worm scanners???? id feel safer having something that scans for worms because i know its virtually impossible for anything else to find them
A Firewall will block "worms" and should be your first line of defence ... a good AV software will have good worm detection as well as helping protect against virus.

We have a couple of good 'Articles' on the subject, won't take you long to read them. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
aa excellent, i didnt know firewalls stopped, so will my norton friewall be a good one to defend me from worms???(sorry for all the questions ive never really learned much about virus's and protection e.t.c)

so just to check.. i have a firewall, an AV, 2 trojan scanners, ad-aware SE.... n thats everything... will that be enough protection???

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
so just to check.. i have a firewall, an AV, 2 trojan scanners, ad-aware SE.... n thats everything... will that be enough protection???

I'm so glad I decided to use Linux. ;)

Honestly, in all the years that I ran Windows, I never got a virus, worm or trojan. I was just careful about what I downloaded, what email provider I used, and what sites I visited, or maybe I was just lucky.

Reaction score
Hi all, i was using norton antivirus 2004 and 2005 , my pc slowed down, i switched to norton corporate it was better, but i felt that some viruses are passing by without being scanned, so now i'm using eTrust Antivirus and eTrust PestPatrol, i'm totally satisfied.

Cheers

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
aa excellent, i didnt know firewalls stopped, so will my norton friewall be a good one to defend me from worms???(sorry for all the questions ive never really learned much about virus's and protection e.t.c)

That is about all one can do, at best your still only 75% 'protected' ... you will still get the odd 'tracking cookie' but really, they are harmless ... :thumb:

Downloading, clicking on this-n-that, using P2P file sharing all add to the 'dangers' of Internet browsing, you can get quit paranoid just thinking about it ... in nearly 3 years of using XP I have never had to 'clean' my system ... but then I knew what to do from the start.

If your system is clean, and you are vigilant, then you should keep the little nasties at bay ... it is imperative to keep everything up-to-date ... run a weekly scan using all your 'tools' will help keep your sanity.

A good Firewall is your first line of defence ... MS learned that lesson the hard way with the Blaster Worm ... now they 'turn on' their firewall at default.

Ladypcer is a good example of what to do ... practice safe computing ... yes it is very hard to pass up FREE music, FREE programs free this and that, but, check them out first, ask the question, is this safe. Ask us here and we'll have an opinion. ;)

Linux is an alternative operating system and is highly secure ... we don't use any of the 'tools' that you NEED except for a Firewall, we don't need them ... however, switching from Windows to Linux can have a very steep learning curve. It was a choice I will not regret. :D

My needs from a PC are quite small ... I don't play games, so Linux suits me grand ... not to say Linux can't play games, it can, and quite a few of your Windows programs as well.

;)

Here is my "pick list" of what I considered to be the best at their respective jobs ... everyone has their own opinion of what is "best" ... But I have done my own research and testing.

Now this will raise some eyebrows, but please ... if you want to ask me why,
START A NEW THREAD. :thumb:

XP ServicePack 2 ... anybody not upgraded is an idiot.
Microsoft's own Firewall ... it does its job well.
KAV (Kaspersky AntiVirus) ... it is not free. I was a keen Norton user, but it is too bloated and to cumbersome these days.
Microsoft's own Anti-Spyware ... they never wrote it. It was originally called Giant AS ... it was always considered the best by many in the security business ... it was never free, and I used Giant before MSAS
Ad-Aware SE ... free, I liked what it did, and paid for the plus version which has extra tools. This was used mainly to clean out tracking cookies.
SpySweeper ... dam good, but redundant to MSAS
Google's Toolbar ... how else can I find what YOU are looking for ... but it also has a good "pop-up stopper" ... nor pop-up stopper is 100%
SpywareBlaster ... NO PC SHOULD BE WITHOUT IT, a simple FREE program that just blocks nastie website intrusions.
CrapCleaner ... the easiest way to clean out all the leftover junk, AND clean the parts of Windows you cannot easily clean yourself. As with ALL registry cleaners ... make yourself a restore point before use.

... and that was it. I have tried them all, and some you have never heard of ... in my humble opinion you wont go to far wrong with the above.

YOU WILL NEVER BE 100% PROTECTED

Tip.
Make a 'Restore Point' everytime you install a new program or driver.
Learn how to use the security programs properly.

As a 'New User to Linux' I no longer use any of the above. :p

Reaction score
Webroot spysweeper I tyed the share version I liked it but dont have it.
PestPatrol I liked it so well bought 2 licences. It also rates high at PCflank.

Anti-vir. The only free Anti virius that seems to work better than AGV. Its not automated like AGV, but if ya uninstall AGV and then install Anti-vir, it will find stuff. Manual scanning and updating dosent hurt.

http://www.free-av.com/

I have Sygate fire wall on XP.

Turn off the XP firewall if ya use any another or you will have all kinds of conflicts.

Reaction score
cheers people, appreciate all the help.

one last question, theres obviously damage done to the hard drive from the viruses, and i really want to avoid from re-installing from scratch as there is so much stuff id need to back-up(around 100+gig) movies, programmes, music... i make my own music so have all my instrumentals, vocals, complete songs e.t.c for all my music,.

so im going to try the utilities in norton systems work, but is there any better programmes for this kind of job???? i really dis-like norton utilities and i dont think it does the job as good as it could do..... cheers again for all the help everybody

Reaction score
Being Internet steath is the only way to be safe. You will have to stay tuned to the fourms to learn how to do that. Some of use do it in different ways.

Just burn in all the music, jpegs, MP3, Word doc, favorites, that ya have or plug an other 100gig drive in. You had excesive pest on your PC and I only take one malicious to do damage yull never recover from.

Your a check mark on the hackers game card.

Hacker that know what they are doing use rootkits, you probably have a rootkit done on ya. If ya know how to write the code that they use it will probably take years to figure it out and reverse the damage. The pest scanners can remove trojans but scanners cant repair custom code. it too late if this kinda damage is done.
If ya clean install, and then restore everything that ya have now onto the clean install: Your restoring the rootkit back on the clean install. Your registry is damaged start over. That why I posted no restore points and your ****ed.

Use third party backups not MS restore.

To verify that ya have a rootkit use Rootkit Revealer.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

It will take less time to format and clean install Windows and every program on drive C:.

I think this thread made some want to know more about prevention.

Oh muck is correct. My PC is about as steath as ya can get and Im not 100% safe.

Last edited:

Ask a Question