New PC Security Test Results

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A survey has been done by a very well known monthly magazine which has tested online security packages, some free and some paid for. Results are just out.

The testing involves old and new viruses and all sorts of malware being exposed to the security packages and checking how they dealt with them.

The one which was considered the best of the bunch was Bullguard which cost £18. Only just behind in the survey was Microsoft Security Essentials which of course is free.

Third was AVG (paid for version at £30) and fourth was AVG Free, only just behind.

It then went Norton (£28), F-Secure (£18), Avira (£35), Avira Free, Panda (£30), and in 10th place Kaspersky (£24).

So it looks as if MSE is, by far, the best value for money. :D

I've just installed it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I was cynical that a Microsoft product that dealt with security could be any good but Mucks convinced me it was ok and I use it now. Together with a coupla free Malware progs.

I suppose Microsoft could be at the forefront of this market as they are constantly being targeted by the Blue Meanies with viruses and Malware.

Also, the Which survey is just a snapshot, any given AV software's status in a league table is constantly shifting as each one battles to stay ahead of things.

Just a thought :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
some of Microsoft 'products' bear their name, but, the pedigree is from acquisitions ... they seem to have gotten this one right. :D

... any given AV software's status in a league table is constantly shifting as each one battles to stay ahead of things.
would like to know who actually did this one, AVG free, 4th place. :rolleyes:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
'Which' has always been a pay for product, from the days when it was paper only to it's current online version.

In my experience generally pretty good, they do seem to have independence from payola (hence why they ask for payment I suppose) but they don't always get it right.

Like placing AVG 4th :lol: as Mucks so rightly pointed out.

Reaction score
Me too, Microsoft Security Essentials is now my preferred security software, I have tried AVG, Gdata, Comodo, F Secure but now settled with the free Microsoft offering for the passed year and will continuw to do so. I believe that Microsoft bought out a security company that then developed Security Essentials. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah I've been using it for a ages now, after my ESET Smart Security licence ran out. Its is good and it doesn't make iTunes hang when i connect my iPhone either, which is a bonus!

Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and one of the best according to the the trusted reviews. Some of the paid for ones do a free Anti Virus edition which are cut down versions of the paid for editions, but I would recommend MSE and of course it is free to download.

Ask a Question