21 antivirus scanners tested for real world performance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
where did yours come in at? ... :user:

A real-world protection test conducted by AV-Comparatives found that Microsoft Security Essentials outperforms McAfee and that on some tests free scanners can score just as good as paid ones. The Austrian test lab AV-Comparatives tested 21 antivirus applications and internet security suites in several different tests and found these remarkable results.

http://www.myce.com/news/21-antivir...security-essentials-outperforms-mcafee-78129/

... some surprising results! :eek:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A proper test one hopes, somewhat like the one done by Which magazine.

I use MSE but I wonder why it's not on the graph. :confused:

And, Kaspersky is still free to people who bank with Barclay's. :)

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I use MSE but I wonder why it's not on the graph.

it is, it's the dotted line running horizontal, with 29 false positives .. it represents the minimum required to pass this AV test ... anything below is really crap. :)

MSE is considered, even MS acknowledge it, the basic minimal AV program requirement. Not to say you'll ever get any 'problems' in using it. Why take the chance when there are better, free, AVs out there. :)

I'm just the bringer of good news. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Like @V_R, I too have been using BitDefender (the free version, for around 12-18 months) so it's good to see that it has scored so well. I find it to be very unobtrusive and un-fussy.

We had a very brief dalliance with McAfee which was sold to us with hubby's new PC last year. It was awful! Constantly badgering one with nag screens; plus it felt very bloated. Needless to say, I uninstalled it and downloaded BitDefender for him instead. It does a good job. :thumb:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Got W10 on my PC and laptop and only using Windows Defender. Monthly scan with Malwarebytes and Trend Micro Housecall and no problems here.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just checked the latest Which report for AVs.

For PCs it puts Kaspersky2016 at the top of its list with 83% (of what I'm not sure).

Next is Bitdefender 75%, Panda 74%, Norton, Eset, Bullguard and McAfee all at 73% and Avast at 72%.

The rest are just a little behind and the worst two are Avira 61% and Zone Alarm 47%.

MSE is not on the list at all.

Which's testing is similar to that of the above survey in that they try to infect PCs fitted with AV software and then report their findings. I would imagine that they are completely impartial.

Think I might go back to Kaspersky. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would take the test conducted by AV-Comparatives over the one done by Which any time tbh.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Not a great deal of difference that I can see.

Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Panda do really well on both.

Reaction score
As a Linux user I don't need anti virus:bow:But just in case I have Comodo on :thumb::thumb: Belt and Brasises (oops spelling that don't look right)Never mind it is Christmas:fool::lol::lol::lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
As a Linux user I don't need anti virus:bow:

I wouldn't speak to soon.
OS-chart.jpg

Reaction score
I must admit I was a little weary of what they said that is why I put Comodo on to Linux, but there does not seem two many Linux compatible anti virus software out there, if any one knows of a really good one out there please let me know.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Reaction score
Oh that’s all right then, I got one of them nuclear fallout shelter in the back garden.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
I used Kaspersky from 2011-14 after doing some serious research but didn't renew last year as it had too many conflicts with my Desktop. It was good but I'm now back with Norton, which ain't 'pas mal', no pun intended. I agree if Malwarebytes isn't on the list, I'd not consider the report full stop. MSE, well it ain't bad but I require the best and I'll pay for it. The only addition I'd add is LastPass Premium, it's worth every penny.

Ask a Question