Wicked virus in Windows\Temp, cant catch it

Reaction score
I have a wicked virus that is causing serious issues with my PC, and none of my antivirus programs catch it.

AVG 2011 seems to catch it on start up as a virus in my Windows\temp\ folder. The virus is always a random 4 alpha character folder (WINDOWS\Temp\xxxx\setup.exe), but when AVG tries to delete it, I get the error message "object does not exist or is inaccessible". When looking at the folders in explorer, the virus folders are empty.

It has affected almost everything on my PC, and more often than not, it blue screens when I reboot it, even when I reboot to safe mode. I have scanned my PC with AVG 2011, Avira, ThreatFire, Spyware Doctor, and MalwareBytes. None of them have removed it..

Also, the virus doesnt run in SafeMode (I think), because I have no operational issues when in safe mode (assuming it didnt Blue Screen on me again).

Please help. Thanks. :cry:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
AVG 2011, Avira, ThreatFire

Have you all 3 installed and running together ? They could be clashing.

If none are working try running Trend Micro House call and see what that says. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Or head over to Bleeping computers and post them an HJT report
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Failing that lets hope you have all your important data backed up and do a fresh install. In my opinion always the best thing to do in the case of any virus. And while you at it, get rid of AVG and download a decent AV :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Please visit & post over at Bleeping Computers They have dedicated helpers who can assist you in the possible eradication of your nasties.

:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Spammers to this thread of quickfixsuperdooperav programs will be instantly banned :)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Safe Mode is where you should be running your virus scans. The inaccessible file means that the virus is running (most likely) and booting in Safe Mode should keep it from running whatever task there needs to be so it can operate.

Always scan in Safe Mode. If nothing is found, remove the drive and connect it in another machine. This should help to remove it.

Also, if you have the AVG 2011 virus, I suggest downloading RKILL.EXE. You will need it. Download it to the desktop and run it in Safe Mode. This will kill the virus process and allow you to find it. Malwarebytes will remove the AVG 2011 virus.

Ask a Question