Cannot Browse Anti Virus Websites

Reaction score
Hi,

Due to my PC being infected with Trojans I ended up having XP reinstalled in a computer shop.

I know I may have not followed all the correct procedure afterwards but heres what I did.........due to not having an A Virus on it I downloaded Malwarebytes AntiMalware from filehippo.com. I then tried to download Kasperky Internet Security 2010 from the Internet as I am entitled to it for free due to being a Barclays online customer. The page wouldn't load.

I can browse the internet without any problems but cannot go on the Kaspersky website. Just to make sure there was probably something wrong with their site, I did a google search for Norton, Mcafee and Windows Updates and their site wouldn't load up either!

For some reason Anti Virus websites and the Microsoft Updates site aren't loading up on my PC but all other websites can be browsed without any problems, here is the message I get on firefox:

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

When I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes after I downloaded it and before trying to go on those Anti Virus websites and Microsoft Updates, it detected an infection which I deleted and Restarted the PC afterwards, here is the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3967

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

08/04/2010 12:28:18
mbam-log-2010-04-08 (12-28-18).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 98018
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 33 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL \CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I have currently got Malwarebytes and Comodo Firewall (downloaded it after I couldn't get on the A Virus websites) installed on my PC.

Any ideas why I can't access those Anti Virus & Microsoft Update websites on my PC, but can browse web as normal apart from that, and taking into account i just had XP reinstalled?

Thank you.

Jay

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds exactly like you have a virus on your PC! :eek:

I'd download an anti-virus application to a clean USB drive on another PC. Then, install this on your system and try to run it.

Did the PC shop install a fresh copy of XP and there is nothing else on your system (i.e., you haven't re-installed anything?). As it sounds like a virus has made its way back.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That sounds exactly like you have a virus on your PC! :eek:

I'd download an anti-virus application to a clean USB drive on another PC. Then, install this on your system and try to run it.

Did the PC shop install a fresh copy of XP and there is nothing else on your system (i.e., you haven't re-installed anything?). As it sounds like a virus has made its way back.

Thank you for your reply Ian.

I did ask the person at the PC shop, who is actually a mate of mine, to install MS Office, Nero Burner and VLC Media for me after reinstalling Windows XP.

After doing quick scan with Malwarebytes, I have since done a full scan with it and it detected no infections.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just malwarebytes? That's not an anti-virus, only anti-spyware. :)

It sounds like you could have a hosts file infection or some sort of virus, so you need to get a scanner on there ASAP. You could open the "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\" file and see if there are any blocked entries in there.

Something is definitely amiss. ;)

Reaction score
icon1.gif

I think I'ver managed to resolve it......I scanned the PC with SuperAntiSpyware which found a virus called Trojan.Conficker/Variant, which along with other things prevents the PC from accessing Security sites. Here is the log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/08/2010 at 05:13 PM

Application Version : 4.35.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 4744
Trace Rules Database Version: 1978

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:10:59

Memory items scanned : 325
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 4732
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 10849
File threats detected : 1

Trojan.Conficker/Variant
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\GUGPCNV.DLL

Here is an article on it:http://news.cnet.com/faq-conficker-t...t-expect-boom/

My mate said that he must've been from something he did!

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good news :) Just be sure to get an Anti-Virus on there ASAP.

If you get Kaspersky for free via Barclays, that's a good choice... otherwise Microsoft Security Essentials and Avira are both good.

Reaction score
I ended up installing Kaspersky I Security 2010.

When I ran a scan with it, it identified Networm-Win32-Kido.ih and I thnik Deleted it.

I have since ran several Scans with Kaspersky again and SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, they didn't identify anything.

Do you think it is OK to relax and just use the PC as normal?

By the way, I think I may have found the cause of the initial virus, my mate who reinstalled XP for me said that he probably downloaded software for the drivers from a dodgy "third party" site:mad:

Ask a Question