file '888' found in local settings/temp/hsperfdata

Reaction score
windows xp, sp2 fully patched. Home built.

I found this file in my daughters local settings/temp/hsperfdata folder while doing a clean up/check of my system. I know i will probably be able to delete it in safe mode but i am concerned as to what it is and what it might be doing. i have a feeling it must be nasty, or why in a temp folder and undeletable? I have scanned with ewido, avg, spybot, adaware, bazooka a squared and coolwebshredder but it is not flagged. Can anybody tell me what it is and might be doing? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Can you not delete it by going to:
Tools [Top of Internet Explorer]>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files>Delete Cookies & Delete files.

Reaction score
psThanks feckit- what a name! you have to be Irish? or a fan of father ted! no, i am unable to delete it any way. access denied, every time.
thanks to you, TriplexDread. i don't think so- but since she has her own account, i cannot say for sure. she does, however have limited privileges and i have a very good hosts file that prevents access to nasty sites. she is away this weekend, but will be interrogated on her return. oh, and she is only 16, no credit/debit card so this is quite unlikely. but thanks, anyway. power to the people!
ps
she did once use my credit card to get £100+ credit on her mobile phone but i think this is unlikely, considering the consequences she had. i have checked my card, and there is nothing there.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The folder hsperfdata comes from SUN Java and they say it's by design that the folder has some bad permission set. See SUN's Bug ID 5042659 for more details.

If the 'workround' don't work ... Try starting in Safe Mode and deleting from there.

Try Kev's Killbox.

;)

Reaction score

Thanks Absolutekevster and muckshifter. I've downloaded killbox in case I have anything similar happen again. Couldn't delete it in safe mode. It just refused to budge. Wouldn't let me change permissions to delete it, but yesterday out of the blue it allowed me to change permissions and I deleted it. Still a mystery to me, and I am still a little worried as to what it might have been doing but at least it's gone now. Thanks again all those who tried.

Last edited:

Ask a Question