Avira vs Mse

nlp

Reaction score
Hello,just recently my laptop started crashing (blue screen of death) i have avira antivir-free antivirus,and have been using it for 2 years.It did pick up the virus that was causing the problem,but was not getting rid of it,every time i re- booted the same problem came up (blue screen etc),well i have just installed MSE and not only did it detect HIGH THREAT VIRUSES,it also permanantly deleted them.

After removing them i re-booted...and long and behold no blue screen!!,straight on to log in screen.

Down side:As i write this message a full system scan has been running using MSE,so far it has been 2hrs53min!!!!. I might just stop.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, full scan here takes in excess of 8 hours for all drives plus network drives...

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep just let it do its thang, will take some time to scan everything depending on how big your HDD is and how much data you have stored on it..:)

nlp

Reaction score
Hello guys,just updating you on my LONG mse full scan....well it took just over 4 hrs,i think a quick scan would have been a better option.

Also i am running MSE and AVIRA together,so far i have found no conflicting issues,or glitches.

I think i would feel a little bit naked knowing that avira was not running on my laptop.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You only need one running not both...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One or the other, not both. Both will likely clash and/or cause conflicts.

Dunno why but my nostrils are twitching and thumbs are itchy...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Last i heard MSE had a slight issue with it scanning large files (1Gb and up IIRC) where it would hang or something, but its possible that has since been fixed. Other than that they are both very good IMO.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Acording to the reviews I have read MSE is lighter and as good or better than AVIRA .

Ok, there's justification for making a statement. Anybody who ever states X is better than Y without adding at least 'imo' or giving justification for their claim, I totally ignore and usually in my mind label them a fanboy.

Especially hard disk fanboys, but I digress ;)

I judge anti-nasty software on reviews and my own experience. It's rarely worth listening to anybody's experience as one individual will usually base their experience on having used one-anti-nasty and having been nasty-free for a set time whilst using it.

Which is very little experience at all. It's not until something extremely nasty pays you a visit (and 95% of those are usually at your own invite or through visiting less than salubrious websites) and your chosen software deals with it that we start to judge it's effectiveness.

FWIW, here's a tale of my own experience but it doesn't neccessarily mean one product is better than another.

I've used Antivir for years and all it's ever caught has been a few minor malwares.

On one machine I have run Antir, changing to Avast and then to MSE. The change to MSE was made in an attempt to thwart a regular BSOD I was suffering (which, incidentally, I haven't experienced for several months now).

Within a couple of weeks of installation MSE nobbled a medium strength nasty and alerted me to adware in a p 2 p program (Frostwire, if you really want to know, which I now no longer use).

Does this make MSE better? Possibly, but I'll need more than that to convince me or a few good genuinely independent surveys.

Anyhow, to return to the user here, seems to have done the trick for them, so I think we can view this as a good thing :)

nlp

Reaction score
Thanks for that comment,i have been running both AVIRA and MSE for the past 3 days...

MSE is the one that got rid of the original threat (blue screen of death) and this is the one i down loaded 3 days ago.I am still running both programms.

Should i also run WINDOWS DEFENDER?.This was the 1 program i diabled from start up.

Thanks in advance.
(p.s so far i have had no clashes of conflict... i supose only time will tell.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Doesn't MSE disable Defender?

I think it does.....

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I use MSE and Norton Corporate package on my office clients. I have yet to see any conflicts on any systems and usually what one doesn't catch, the other does. Sometimes, I will see MSE remove an item that was just found by Norton. The Norton box shows up and MSE has already deleted it automatically.

The best thing I can say is to check your settings. You don't want software to automatically delete things because that can get you worse than having an infection to begin with.

My ten cents worth.

MSE and Defender http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows/06f074f1-1a82-426d-809b-667f2b1d0ede

*edit: I hope I satisfied FBS up there with a little bit of support rather than blindly posting "THIS IS WHAT I DO!!!" and facing the rage within. I hate AVS to begin with, but you gotta have what you gotta have.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
*edit: I hope I satisfied FBS up there with a little bit of support rather than blindly posting "THIS IS WHAT I DO!!!" and facing the rage within. I hate AVS to begin with, but you gotta have what you gotta have.

Thanks for the consideration but you don't have to kow-tow to me matey ;) Not really quite sure what you mean tbh. By 'AVS' do you mean AV software in general, Avast or Antivir?

All I'm interested in is trying to get everybody using something good and understand what they're doing to protect their Windows Operating System.

No hidden agendas, no ego, I'll always and willingly stand corrected if it's for everybody's benefit and I've been proved erroneous. Which happens. Obviously.

To quote a peer of mine, John Lennon (and he weren't perfect either, lol) 'Just gimme some truth'.

What I don't favour is blind loyalty and recommendation of a product that's ill-informed.

Reef, thanks for the links, I really do apreciate that, excellent stuff :thumb:

And on a personal note I'm starting, slowly, to think MS might have got something right.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
either, lol)
What I don't favour is blind loyalty and recommendation of a product that's ill-informed.

I agree.
AVS = anti-virus software. sorry for the clarity.

Thus far, I cannot say bad things about MSE. I have seen it catch things. I have seen it not catch things (but these were under circumstances to be expected, just not thinking clearly).

Ask a Question