MSE giving incorrect info

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
(MSE = Microsoft Security Essentials.)

Twice recently, the little icon in the notification area has turned orange (to indicate it is unhappy about something.) On checking, it tells me that I haven't run a scan "for some time" and recommends that I do so "now."

In fact it is scheduled to run a scan daily (possibly a bit excessive for some tastes, but I've always tended to be a bit belts-and-braces where security is concerned.
sEm_blush7.gif
)

Anyway, MSE's history confirms that the morning scan was executed, but the icon will only turn green again, if I click to sanction another scan. (The scans have detected no problems on either occasion btw.)

Has this been happening to anyone else? Or is it just mine that is being a bit over-diligent do you think? :confused:

Thanks for looking.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have a scheduled scan for Sundays, when it starts, if I see it, I cancel it. There is really no need unless you suspect something afoot, then I would go for an independent on-line scan. Sometimes I just go do a quick scan.

MSE uses Real-time protection ... Real-time protection means addressing potential threats before they become problems. Alerts notify you when spyware, viruses, or other malicious software attempt to run or install on your PC, and suspicious files and programs are prevented from opening.

MSE uses Dynamic signature ... Protection needs to be up-to-date to be effective. Dynamic signature is a way to check whether a suspicious program is bad or not. Before a suspicious program runs, Microsoft Security Essentials pretends to run it to determine what it’s going to do. This gives programs special signatures that are checked against our database of good and bad programs. Programs are watched even after they are approved to make sure they don’t do anything potentially harmful like make unexpected network connections, modify core parts of the operating system, or download malicious content.

RootKit ... Rootkits are particularly difficult types of malware to protect against, and Microsoft Security Essentials includes a number of new and improved technologies to address rootkits and other aggressive threats.

The kernal is at the heart of your PC’s operating system. Microsoft Security Essentials monitors it to see if there are any attacks or harmful modifications.

Rootkits use stealthy methods to hide themselves and Microsoft Security Essentials has the latest anti-stealth technology to uncover them. For example, direct file system parsing helps find and remove malicious programs and drivers that rootkits try to sneak in.

So, TC, relax, if you gonna get a 'nastie', you're more likely gonna get it from phishing ... oh wait ... remember Joe. :thumb:

:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Do you use CCleaner by any chance?

If so untick this option...... ;)

1qbKt.png

I had the same thing as you it thinks i've never ran a scan. :)

Personally a quick scan takes a few minutes, why wouldn't you let it do it? :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi guys and thank you all very much for your helpful replies.

Mucks... when you put it like that, I guess my "daily scan" is a tad excessive. It's a habit I began a few years back, and I've just kept it up. It is only the quick scan though, so it's fairly brief as V_R points out.

So far as the wee problem is concerned, V_R has cracked it! Yes, I do use CCleaner and had scanned shortly before the MSE message popped-up (what a dummy I am for failing to notice that! lol)

Many thanks once again all. :wave:

Ask a Question