IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has encountered a problem ...

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi,

That's also OK. You also can try the steps in the article and then
reinstall the Internet Explorer.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has
encountered a problem
| Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:14:02 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| And what about http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312451? Would this be a
| better tack, considering Bill's mis-associated files? (BTW he's trying to
| avoid reinstalling the OS at all costs anyway. <G>)
|
| Bill has a current MSDN subscription, too.
| --
| HTH...Please post back to this thread
|
| ~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
| MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|
| "Steven Liu [MSFT]" wrote:
| >> Hi,
| >>
| >> Sorry for the mistake. I think we also can try the steps to reinstall
the
| >> Windows 98.
| >>
| >> Let's reinstall Windows in the following way which will only reinstall
| the
| >> system files. You may need to reinstall some software and drivers after
| the
| >> installation.
| >>
| >> 1. Please restart with the Windows 98 startup disk. If you don't have
it,
| >> please go to the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk.
| >> 2. When the Startup Menu appears, please select "Start with the CD-ROM
| >> support"
| >> 3. This will load the CD-ROM driver and you will see the CD-ROM volume
| >> number during the loading driver
| >> 4. Press "X:" without quotation marks and press Enter to switch to the
| >> CD-ROM volume. Note: X is the CD-ROM volume number
| >> 5. Press "setup /nd" without quotation mark and press Enter to install
| >> Windows 98
| <snip>

| of

| whether
| you

Windows
| XP.

Bill Shorter

PA Bear & Steven,

You have given me much to look at. Thank you.
Here are some brief comments before I head out
today.

The system is Windows 98.

There is a HP ScanJet 5100c attached, since perhaps
last April. This is an older scanner, and I got
the newest software for it, from HP, by CD. Newest
software "ain't" new. It is about as old as
Windows 98. Shall I check that CD for what it contains?

Kazaa was purged using a Kazaa removal tool from one
of the websites which is generally recommended. Do
you want details? "kazaabegone"

I am phobic about reinstalling Windows 98. Again, it
is the old UNIX bias. Just not an option to this old
timer.

More later. And a sincere thank you.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

Robert Aldwinckle

ie6setup /c:"ie6wzd /e:IE4Shell_Win"
Still want me to do this?

I was hoping we would attract some more comment from other users
of your OS. I checked with Google Groups if this was still being
suggested in the OS newsgroups but that wasn't very clear.
It was obviously recommended once for Win95 users but I can't
tell if Win98 users were able to do it too.

The one thing that is clear is that you do not have the latest version
of explorer.exe (which was the same as my symptom) but for all
I know that (IE401sp2) version may only be intended for Win95
users.

If you are contemplating doing a Windows reinstall
I can't see how trying this first would hurt
and as I indicated the analogous change for me on NT4
was a great improvement in stability after I installed IE6 on it.

FWIW

Robert

Bill Shorter

I have no objection to the attempt. Do PA Bear and
Steven concur? I have IE 6.0 on this system, intentionally
installed rather than IE6 SP1 - downgrade after I successfully
extracted IE using IEradicate. Note that IEradicate did NOT
deal with shell linkages.

Thanks again,
Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

PA Bear

Inline...

Given what Robert (I think it was) reported about scanners, IIWY I'd
uninstall all scanners present and, perhaps, try running IE Repair Tool
afterwards.

Of late, AdAware, HijackThis and Spybot (updated before each use) take care
of Kazaa, AFAIK.
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Bill Shorter

PA Bear, Robert, Steven,

I have done the deed as follows. Result is still failure.

Step 1: Run AdAware and Spybot to assure a clean system. OK

Step 2: Remove Kazaa (if it is still there) by Kazaabegone.exe

Step 3: Remove the HP Scanner:
In Device Manager, remove the HP Parallel Port SCSI Adapter and
HPCS5190A
In Control Panel->Add_Remove_Software, remove the HP Precision
Scan Software and Utilities
Reboot and check

Step 4: Remove IE6.0 using IEradicator2001.exe: process, reboot,
process again. Test for IE. Gone!

Step 5: Add IE6 SP1 to the system from MSDN DVD 2214, dated June 2003.
Manual install, as IE isn't there for autorun. THIS TIME I
WENT WITH SP1.
**** Winhlp32 aborted again with an invalid page fault *****
Reboot, Updating System Settings with drum beating.
**** "Show Desktop.scf" file missing, as predicted by
IEradicator web page.

Step 6: Test IE6 SP1. FAIL. Cannot self identify via Help menu.
Cannot print. Same fault pointing at SHLWAPI as originally
posted.

(Step 7: Put scanner back online.)

CAN ANYONE SEE ANY OTHER METHOD TO WORK OUT. Note the hints. Winhlp32
aborts at install! Errors point to SHLWAPI.DLL

I wish to sincerely thank you all for your patience and wise counsel.
I have learned much, as I always do, when fighting a fire.
Troubleshooring is interesting stuff.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

Bill Shorter

I am reposting this from the web interface. Something
happened in the posting. Bascially, took the scanner
out, cleaned house, removed IE, reinstalled IE. Same
FAILure.

Bill Shorter

Bill Shorter

I think so too. Well, we tried hard. And, we didn't succumb to
the adage, "format C: and reinstall every six months."

I expect that IEradicate could have helped more had it been able
to deal with shell connections.

Going to sit tight for now. Still using this beast for an intensive
job search.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

PA Bear

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Hadn't we covered that?

I'm running Win98SE here (Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1) and I currently have the
first four DLLs running on a fully updated IE6-SP1 (6.00.2800.1106).

Though he was running IE6-SP1 when this thread began, since Bill is now
running "vanilla" IE6 (6.00.2600.0000; after uninstalling IE6-SP1), I doubt
all four of those DLLs are correct.

Robert Aldwinckle

I'm running Win98SE here (Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1) and I currently have the
first four DLLs running on a fully updated IE6-SP1 (6.00.2800.1106).

Yes. I found an old computer to install Win98SE into (on top of Win95)
and got the same thing.

The repair idea is invalid. The iesetup.cif shows that the WDU component
is restricted to Platform: win95.

Interestingly I do have the newer version in a subdirectory called VCM.
I'll guess that it may have something to do with making my Win95 restorable.

<Emily Litella voice> Oh well, Never mind! </Emily Litella voice>

Robert

Robert Aldwinckle

I'm running Win98SE here (Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1) and I currently have

It's maddening not having a crash dump (or even a crash offset) for clues
but another tack to take would be to check for version conflict in browseui.dll's
dependency tree. If you both had Dependency Walker (depends.exe) you
could use your system as a check on his.

Unfortunately the tool only seems to allow me to capture the module
names and not their properties, so any comparisons you do of them will
have to be done with screen shots or by some other means.

In any case, given that your OS is susceptible to DLL Hell, I'd be interested
in seeing what you both have for things like: MFC42U.DLL MSVCP60.DLL
and MSVCRT.DLL. Hmm... wasn't that first one a problem with crashes
of a different kind earlier this year? Suspected culprit Xupiter?

HTH

Robert
---

PA Bear

Now, Robert, you *know* that type of thing's your baliwick...and it was
happening in any IE(6) in any OS. Maybe you'll find some discussions about
it here http://snurl.com/1xe7. Poke around in posts dating from 15 January
and ensuing weeks, IIRC. I think maybe Sandi was the one who stumbled upon
the Xupiter tie-in.

~Robear