IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has encountered a problem ...

Bill Shorter

Aye, Captain,

I have followed the procedure given below to refresh IE6 SP1
(done the procedure twice, to be certain) and IE6 remains broken.

"FAIL" below means that IE6 at SP1 will not print or self identify.
The failure is as originally reported, pointing at SHLWAPI.DLL.

Step #1: Per Article 318378, Method 2 (for XP), I modified the
IsInstalled key to a zero value for the given registry key in the
article. (Carefully checked the entire name of the key.)

Step #2: Got rid of c:\windows\windows upate\IE6Setup.exe

Step #3: Using my MSDN DVD Disk 2214 dated June 2003, I attempted
to install IE 6 first (NOT IE6 SP1). This was blocked by Setup
with the following message: Setup has detected a newer version of
Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot
continue. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT LET ME DOWNGRADE WITH THIS PROCEDURE.
PERHAPS ANOTHER REGISTRY KEY IS TAKING CHARGE?

Step #4: Using DVD 2214, I ask that IE 6 SP1 be installed. Setup
says: The most current version of all items are already installed.
It is recommended that you exit Setup without reinstalling. I TELL
SETUP TO Reinstall all components.

Setup complies and I ask for full control of the install. I select
all items except foreign languages. Setup balks at Windows Media
Player, MicroMedia Flash Player, and VB Scripting saying that newer
versions are on the system. FINE. Go ahead.

Setup FAILS at Winhlp32 (as it has before. Remember too that IE6 will
not self identify) saying: This program has performed an illegal
operation and will be shut down. THE ILLEGAL OP IS A INVALID PAGE
FAULT.

Setup continues to completion. Reboot. Reload Windows 98 parameters
(little drum is shown being beaten).

Step #5: Test IE 6 SP1. FAIL, just as before.

A UNIX GUY THINKS ABOUT THIS: We need to houseclean IE off this
system without killing other apps which use shared software. Something
on this system, being used to rebuild IE6, is corrupt.
I know the ultimate is to format C: and reinstall Windows 98. That
is dangerous for me due to real work in progress and loads of time in
tuning. It goes against the grain of a UNIX type, who stopped
reinstalling the OS whenever something went awry - 20 years ago.

THOUGHTS?

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

PA said:
I got more tricks up my sleeve, matey!

How about renaming your current (which we suspect may be faulty)
IE6Setup.exe (which you got from MSDN CD) to IE6Setup.OLD and then
downloading an entirely new IE6-SP1 (aka IE6Setup.exe) per...

Downloading Internet Explorer for a Different Operating System
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174680

[or order the *CD: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ordercd/ie6sp1.asp ]

...which you could use in Q318378/Method 2/Step 5 ?!

Not only would it be a known, "clean" version *and* include all patches
to-date, but it might help you avoid Q312451
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312451) altogether.

*Do you have a current MSDN subscription? You may have a "better"/later
version of IE6-SP1 on CD to install. You can check for the most-up-to-date
CD in the Index at http://msdn.microsoft.com/.

Robert Aldwinckle

Bill Shorter said:
Aye, Captain,

I have followed the procedure given below to refresh IE6 SP1
(done the procedure twice, to be certain) and IE6 remains broken.

"FAIL" below means that IE6 at SP1 will not print or self identify.
The failure is as originally reported, pointing at SHLWAPI.DLL.

Just to be clear does "self identify" mean that you are using the
Help, About menu item? (Alt-H,A)

One way to look at that would be to use FileMon (freeware from
SysInternals). For a filter (press Ctrl-L) use dll and highlight shlwapi
When I use that to trace Alt-H,A it appears that there are two callers
to shlwapi.dll, browseui.dll and shdocvw.dll. We apparently already
have some information about your shdocvw.dll. What can you tell us
about your browseui.dll?

It would be best to have someone else with your OS to compare with.
(I have XPsp1.) But if you should be getting the same trace and the
crash stops it before the shdocvw.dll call we would have some indication
that browseui.dll might be the culprit.

This analysis then would give good justification for trying an IE Repair
(E.g. browseui.dll is one of the .dll modules which will be re-registered
by fixie.inf.)

This also makes me think that whether you have WDU active on your system
and how it was installed could be playing a factor. FWIW on my NT4 partition
I had some crashes in browseui.dll until I downloaded the WDU component
using ie6setup. In that case the suspect culprit was the out of date explorer.exe.
I don't know your OS well enough to know how integrated the WDU is on it.
I know it is not completely integrated because you can't register shell32.dll
and you do have a shdoc401.dll.

In any case let's get some more version info for browseui.dll shdoc401.dll
and explorer.exe in case some discrepancies show up there.
(Even if other Win 98 users don't comment with their version info
we can use the DLL Help Database and the various patch manifests
to figure out if there should be a better combination of versions.)
Note that a version identifier is often not sufficiently unique to distinguish
between particular versions of a module. You need to include at least
a modification date or size too.

Another tack would be to find some way of getting the equivalent
diagnostics that drwtsn32.log gives NT users. Supposedly that
is possible but I have never tried it before.

<title>310116 - How to Disable or Redirect Internet Explorer Error Reporting</title>

E.g. that article implies that it may be possible to redirect the ERT
detail dump to a local file. It claims to apply to your OS.

Finally, I don't think that we have seen your Error Signature or
representative faultlog.txt data. That could be useful in case
others have already reported similar crashes with that information
in other newsgroups.

(excellent description of 318378 observations snipped for another subthread)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Bill Shorter

I see your post, and thank you. I will respond to it tomorrow.
I need to report back to PA Bear about a test I just ran.

Bill Shorter

Bill Shorter

PA Bear,

Following your email suggestion about a careful housecleaning
of IE with IEradicator. Still no luck, but my connection to
WinWord may be affected now.

"FAIL" is defined as before: IE cannot print or self identify
from Help->About Internet Explorer. It creates a window referencing
SHLWAPI.DLL and dies after I decide to send the error report or not.

Step1: Run IEradicator. NOTE THAT THE litePC.com web page says
"We will re-release a version that removes the shell integration
like IEradicator used to do, shortly." THAT WORRIED ME because
of the constant reference to SHLWAPI.DLL. I anticipated failure.
IEradicator processes, then a reboot occurs, then more
processing.

Step2: I test for IE. iexpore.exe is gone!

Step3: Per 318378, Method 2, I check for the registry key IsInstalled
for IE. The registry key is gone!

Step4: Check c:\Windows\Windows Update for the ie Cabinet files. Still
there. IE6setup.exe is still gone.

Step5: Socket MSDN DVD 2214 (June 2003). Cannot autostart as IE is
gone. Good! Go to directory tree for IE6.0 (NOT SP1). Run Setup.exe.
IT RUNS!!! Doesn't see the previous installation. Setup refuses to
load Outlook Express, as a newer version is on the PC. Same for
Windows Media Player. FINE! Setup of Winhlp32 ABORTS again with an
invalid page fault. (THERE IS A HINT HERE. HAPPENS EACH TIME).
Reboot. Updating System Files.

Step6: Request for Desktop.scf made. NOT AVAILABLE. The IEradicator
"readme" predicts web-view desktop features are now gone. Must run
98Lite Professional or 98Lite Preview to restore. OK! Proceed.

Step7: Test IE6.0. FAILS just as before.

Step8: New problem. Microsoft Word (winword.exe) now fails upon
program exit but this clears up after a reboot. So ignore it.

SPECULATION FROM THE UNINFORMED. SHLWAPI.DLL is involved in this
failure every time. IEradicator claims to NOT deal with shell
integration right now. I can wait for a new version, buy 98lite
Professional, or try the 98Lite Demo to see what will happen.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

PA said:
[...]

Part two of the 98Lite experiment. I looked at
98Lite 4.5 Preview edition. I did a quick read
and loaded the software. It surely seems to want
to REINSTALL Windows98 under my control. I
could not risk that it would actually do that.

The Preview code asked for the Windows 98 CD and
copied all of the Windows 98 SE Cabinet files to
its working directory.

It then began a series of screens which led to
the information that Preview would do

1) Clean install of Windows with IE optional
2) Change mandatory features into selectable options
and delete IE.
3) Do a shell swap for performance. (SHLWAPI.DLL?)
4) Clean Up

I couldn't take the chance and quit.

Tomorrow, I answer Robert Aldwinckle's posting.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

(e-mail address removed)

Bill Shorter

I finished PA Bear's tests and started on your document. I
have incomplete results.

Self Identify means use the Help menu, selecting About IE.
This causes a crash. Recall that ALL IE re-installs have
aborted the Win32hlp process. IE used to self-identify and
used to print - until about one month ago.

I have IE 6.0 on this Windows 98 SE system now and it is failing
just as IE6 SP1 did. (See original posting). IEradicate made
it possible for me to back down to IE 6.0.

What is "WDU"?

SHLWAPI.DLL 6.00.2800.1106 8/29/02
BROWSEUI.DLL 6.00.2800.1106 8/29/02
SHDOCVW.DLL 6.00.2800.1203 5/23/03
SHDOC401.DLL 5.50.4914.1400 8/29/02
IEXPLORE.EXE 6.00.2600.0000 8/17/01
EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3110.1 4/23/99

I would have no idea how to get a faultlog.txt.

That's all for now.

And thanks,
Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

(e-mail address removed)

PA Bear

<VBG> From one of Bill's posts 24 hours earlier:

~PAÞ

PA Bear

[censored by the Family Values Council for PG-Rated Newsgroup Posting©]

And another oar (with a big ol' hole in it) hits in the water...

~PA Bear

PA Bear

I'd suspect Robert's WDU is Windows Desktop Update: http://snurl.com/1vhf.

Note: By appending the subject of your previous reply, these posts don't
"thread" properly.
--
~PA Bear

Bill Shorter wrote:

Robert Aldwinckle

Note: By appending the subject of your previous reply, these posts don't
"thread" properly.

Only if you are sorting by Subject?
The *appending* of subthread information does affect that I agree
but doesn't affect normal threading (provided replies are all made
to Group) and still permits users to find the whole thread by doing
a Find with the original Subject since that window's View can be sorted
by Date or by thread.

Robert
---

Robert Aldwinckle

Bill Shorter said:
I finished PA Bear's tests and started on your document. I
have incomplete results.

Self Identify means use the Help menu, selecting About IE.
This causes a crash. Recall that ALL IE re-installs have
aborted the Win32hlp process. IE used to self-identify and
used to print - until about one month ago.

What happened then? Did you by any chance install
a Visual Studio product?

I have IE 6.0 on this Windows 98 SE system now and it is failing
just as IE6 SP1 did. (See original posting). IEradicate made
it possible for me to back down to IE 6.0.

I wonder if IEradicate takes WDU into consideration?

What is "WDU"?

As PA Bear indicates WDU is an acronym for
"Windows Desktop Update" a feature added to IE4.01
also known (incompletely) as "Active Desktop"
since its most used feature is its Shell Integration.
(E.g. it is where the Quick Launch tray in the Taskbar comes from.)

SHLWAPI.DLL 6.00.2800.1106 8/29/02
BROWSEUI.DLL 6.00.2800.1106 8/29/02
SHDOCVW.DLL 6.00.2800.1203 5/23/03
SHDOC401.DLL 5.50.4914.1400 8/29/02
IEXPLORE.EXE 6.00.2600.0000 8/17/01
EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3110.1 4/23/99

This combination shows that you have a mix of IE6sp1 modules
possibly as a result of installing a Visual Studio product (?)
but only the IE6 main module. Is that what IEradicate would do
for you?

Your explorer.exe does have the analogous problem
that I was referring to for my NT4. In order to fix that
on your system I would try the following command:

ie6setup /c:"ie6wzd /e:IE4Shell_Win"

Note that that is what used to be suggested for doing that.
However, I just looked at my iesetup.cif and don't see that
label in there any more.

I would have no idea how to get a faultlog.txt.

I was hoping that that feature would be a default.
I have no idea how to activate it.

That's all for now.

And thanks,
Bill Shorter

Good luck

Robert
---

Bill Shorter

What happened then? Did you by any chance install
a Visual Studio product?

No. I speculate that a hijack may have been attempted by those
creating a moving porn website service. Maybe. Only ancillary
evidence which my ISP has not analyzed for me.

You should know that I removed Kazaa about 6 weeks before this
time.

I wonder if IEradicate takes WDU into consideration?

It appears to break the Active Desktop, per the documentation. That
appears to be intentional. After the process is finished, "Desktop.scf"
can no longer be found.

This combination shows that you have a mix of IE6sp1 modules
possibly as a result of installing a Visual Studio product (?)
but only the IE6 main module. Is that what IEradicate would do
for you?

I truly do not know. I placed no Visual Studio software knowingly
on this Windows 98 box. I find none installed.

Your explorer.exe does have the analogous problem
that I was referring to for my NT4. In order to fix that
on your system I would try the following command:

ie6setup /c:"ie6wzd /e:IE4Shell_Win"

Note that that is what used to be suggested for doing that.
However, I just looked at my iesetup.cif and don't see that
label in there any more.

I moved IE6SETUP aside, per PA Bear's instructions. And, there
is no new copy of this file on the PC now that IE 6.0 is newly
installed AFTER the sand blasting by IEradicator. Still want me
to do this?

Thanks for your interest.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA

Bill Shorter

I believe this has been done several times now, Steven.

My concern is with the linkage to shells from IE. Errors
always point to SHLWAPI.DLL and IEradicate did not address
that. Per, PA Bear.

Thanks for posting.

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA
Hi Bill,

Here are some suggestions.

1. Repair the Internet Explorer in the Add/Remove Programs
2. Remove and Reinstall the Internet Explorer
3. Remove all Internet related third party applications

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:37:08 -0400
| From: Bill Shorter <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has
encountered
| a problem
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
> [...]
| Allentown, PA
|
| PA Bear wrote:
| > I got more tricks up my sleeve, matey!
| >
| > How about renaming your current (which we suspect may be faulty)
| > IE6Setup.exe (which you got from MSDN CD) to IE6Setup.OLD and then
| > downloading an entirely new IE6-SP1 (aka IE6Setup.exe) per...
| >
| > Downloading Internet Explorer for a Different Operating System
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174680
| >
| > [or order the *CD:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ordercd/ie6sp1.asp ]

| > ...which you could use in Q318378/Method 2/Step 5 ?!
| >
| > Not only would it be a known, "clean" version *and* include all patches
| > to-date, but it might help you avoid Q312451
| > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312451) altogether.
| >
| > *Do you have a current MSDN subscription? You may have a "better"/later
| > version of IE6-SP1 on CD to install. You can check for the

Kibbitzing Komments Inline...

Bill Shorter wrote:

Oh, my! (The plot thickens.) The ever-changing malware which Kazaa "ropes"
into your system has gained it quite a reputation:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/darnit_2.htm#Kazaa. <IMHO> I would want to
make absolutely certain to update AdAware, Spybot and HijackThis before
running each one several times to get rid of all the "drive by" installs
which can come from installing and having Kazaa on your system. If anyone
using your system is or was involved in file-sharing, Lord knows what may
have happened to it. </IMHO>

SHLWAPI.DLL 6.00.2800.1106 8/29/02
BROWSEUI.DLL 6.00.2800.1106 8/29/02
SHDOCVW.DLL 6.00.2800.1203 5/23/03
SHDOC401.DLL 5.50.4914.1400 8/29/02
IEXPLORE.EXE 6.00.2600.0000 8/17/01
EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3110.1 4/23/99
[Bill]

This combination shows that you have a mix of IE6sp1 modules
possibly as a result of installing a Visual Studio product (?)
but only the IE6 main module. Is that what IEradicate would do
for you? [Robert Aldwinckle]

I truly do not know. I placed no Visual Studio software knowingly
on this Windows 98 box. I find none installed.

Bill had installed a "killer" VooDoo card, though, Robert. (22 July, 2003
10:12 AM)

Bill Shorter

I came to realize quickly that Kazaa was a bad actor. It was removed
quite some time before this IE6 print fiasco evolved. Just preceding
the IE6 failure was a perceived hijack (and I posted that early on).
I am just not knowledgable enough to assess this porn hijack because
of its subtle implementation. It is documented on the net and was
on the New York Times web page (ref. from The Drudge Report).

The killer video card has been in the system since Christmas. I was
wrong about it being a VooDoo. It is an NVIDIA GeForce3 T-500 -
whatever the heck that is. My son built this PC.

I know of no Visual Studio stuff installed on this Windows 98 system.

Here's where I stand ... no, lay groaning on the ground. I switched
to Netscape v7 for my critical work. I will watch for an IEradicate
which can deal with Shell interfaces, as the current one cannot by
its own confession. For now, I will resist a re-install of Windows
98, even if 98Lite Professional is used - too much at risk.

Finally, all my files are backed up to my UNIX server regularly.

Thank you all for all your help and encouragement. I am learning a
lot from you, and that is good for me. Any further suggestions or
ideas?

Bill Shorter
Allentown, PA
(e-mail address removed)

Bill Shorter wrote:

[...]

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Bill,

The SHLWAPI.DLL is also used by some scanner. Please also check whether the
scanner driver is old. If you have the scanner, please make sure you have
installed the latest driver.

If all of these do not work, I think we may need to repair the Windows XP.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:43:12 -0400
| From: Bill Shorter <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has
encountered
| a problem
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| I believe this has been done several times now, Steven.
|
| My concern is with the linkage to shells from IE. Errors
| always point to SHLWAPI.DLL and IEradicate did not address
| that. Per, PA Bear.
|
| Thanks for posting.
|
| Bill Shorter
| Allentown, PA
|
| Steven Liu [MSFT] wrote:
| > Hi Bill,
| >
| > Here are some suggestions.
| >
| > 1. Repair the Internet Explorer in the Add/Remove Programs
| > 2. Remove and Reinstall the Internet Explorer
| > 3. Remove all Internet related third party applications
| >
| > Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!
| >
| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Steven Liu
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > MCSE 2000
| >
| > Get Secure! ¨C www.microsoft.com/security
| >
| > This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no
rights.
| > --------------------
| > | Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:37:08 -0400
| > | From: Bill Shorter <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has
| > encountered
| > | a problem
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
| > <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > |
| > | PA Bear,
| > |
| > | Following your email suggestion about a careful housecleaning
| > | of IE with IEradicator. Still no luck, but my connection to
| > | WinWord may be affected now.
| > |
| > | "FAIL" is defined as before: IE cannot print or self identify
| > | from Help->About Internet Explorer. It creates a window referencing
| > | SHLWAPI.DLL and dies after I decide to send the error report or not.
| > |
| > | Step1: Run IEradicator. NOTE THAT THE litePC.com web page says
| > | "We will re-release a version that removes the shell integration
| > | like IEradicator used to do, shortly." THAT WORRIED ME because
| > | of the constant reference to SHLWAPI.DLL. I anticipated failure.
| > | IEradicator processes, then a reboot occurs, then more
| > | processing.
| > |
| > | Step2: I test for IE. iexpore.exe is gone!
| > |
| > | Step3: Per 318378, Method 2, I check for the registry key IsInstalled
| > | for IE. The registry key is gone!
| > |
| > | Step4: Check c:\Windows\Windows Update for the ie Cabinet files.
Still
| > | there. IE6setup.exe is still gone.
| > |
| > | Step5: Socket MSDN DVD 2214 (June 2003). Cannot autostart as IE is
| > | gone. Good! Go to directory tree for IE6.0 (NOT SP1). Run
Setup.exe.
| > | IT RUNS!!! Doesn't see the previous installation. Setup refuses to
| > | load Outlook Express, as a newer version is on the PC. Same for
| > | Windows Media Player. FINE! Setup of Winhlp32 ABORTS again with an
| > | invalid page fault. (THERE IS A HINT HERE. HAPPENS EACH TIME).
| > | Reboot. Updating System Files.
| > |
| > | Step6: Request for Desktop.scf made. NOT AVAILABLE. The IEradicator
| > | "readme" predicts web-view desktop features are now gone. Must run
| > | 98Lite Professional or 98Lite Preview to restore. OK! Proceed.
| > |
| > | Step7: Test IE6.0. FAILS just as before.
| > |
| > | Step8: New problem. Microsoft Word (winword.exe) now fails upon
| > | program exit but this clears up after a reboot. So ignore it.
| > |
| > | SPECULATION FROM THE UNINFORMED. SHLWAPI.DLL is involved in this
| > | failure every time. IEradicator claims to NOT deal with shell
| > | integration right now. I can wait for a new version, buy 98lite
| > | Professional, or try the 98Lite Demo to see what will happen.
| > |
| > | Bill Shorter
| > | Allentown, PA
| > |

| > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ordercd/ie6sp1.asp ]

| > most-up-to-date
| > |
| > |

PA Bear

Windows 98 here, Steven. See previous posts and even Tomcat's headers of
Bill's messages to which you've replied.
--
~PA Bear

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:43:12 -0400
From: Bill Shorter <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has
encountered a problem
<snip>

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:37:08 -0400
From: Bill Shorter <[email protected]>
<snip>

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi,

Sorry for the mistake. I think we also can try the steps to reinstall the
Windows 98.

Let's reinstall Windows in the following way which will only reinstall the
system files. You may need to reinstall some software and drivers after the
installation.

1. Please restart with the Windows 98 startup disk. If you don't have it,
please go to the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk.
2. When the Startup Menu appears, please select "Start with the CD-ROM
support"
3. This will load the CD-ROM driver and you will see the CD-ROM volume
number during the loading driver
4. Press "X:" without quotation marks and press Enter to switch to the
CD-ROM volume. Note: X is the CD-ROM volume number
5. Press "setup /nd" without quotation mark and press Enter to install
Windows 98

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: IE 6.0.2800.1106 error due to "shlwapi.dll" M.I.E has
encountered a problem
| Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:24:08 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Windows 98 here, Steven. See previous posts and even Tomcat's headers of
| Bill's messages to which you've replied.
| --
| ~PA Bear
|
| "Steven Liu [MSFT]" wrote:
| >> Hi Bill,
| >>
| >> The SHLWAPI.DLL is also used by some scanner. Please also check whether
| the
| >> scanner driver is old. If you have the scanner, please make sure you
have
| >> installed the latest driver.
| >>
| >> If all of these do not work, I think we may need to repair the Windows
| XP.
| >> --------------------

| <snip>

PA Bear

And what about http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312451? Would this be a
better tack, considering Bill's mis-associated files? (BTW he's trying to
avoid reinstalling the OS at all costs anyway. <G>)

Bill has a current MSDN subscription, too.
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)