HP 14gb tape drive

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

Has anyone here had success installing an HP 14gb tape drive in an xp
system? I have both external and internal drives but when I try to install
the s/w for the drive and b/u I can't because it is not designed for XP.

Currently I have it on my w2k boot and they all work fine.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Leythos

Hello, All!

Has anyone here had success installing an HP 14gb tape drive in an xp
system? I have both external and internal drives but when I try to install
the s/w for the drive and b/u I can't because it is not designed for XP.

Currently I have it on my w2k boot and they all work fine.

You might want to provide more details - like the HP Model number.

Have you looked on HP's site for updated drivers for the drive?

Colonel Blip

Hello, David!
You wrote on Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:50:06 -0500:

DHL> Please specify the model and/or HP part number.

It is an HP Colorado 14GB model for the internal and an HP Colorado 14GBe
for the external (parallel port type).

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, David!
You wrote on Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:25:41 -0500:

Agree with your observations about the tape drives, but what is nice is I
can set it up with full and/or incremental backups on a scheduled basis and
never have to worry about it (under w2k) so slow hasn't been that much of a
bother. I actually only have the parallel drive in case the internal goes
out on me, so it hasn't been used except to test it to make sure it worked
(bought on eBay couple of years ago).

Of course I still have the option of booting to w2k and doing my backups
there but I was hoping to eventually migrate everything to XP but I may have
to give up on that idea if compatibility becomes a problem. All other
hardware I have is working fine; just not the tape drives.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DHL> That is an older drive. Colorado was bought by HP several years ago.

DHL> Parallel port and floppy controller drives are not supported by WinXP.
DHL> Sorry !

DHL> I suggest a Travan IDE drive or a SCSI drive. I know tapes drives are
DHL> not cheap and want to keep your investment. However, parallel port
DHL> drives are very, very, slow. You'll be happier with the performance
DHL> of a SCSI, wide-SCSI or IDE/ATAPI tape drive. An alternative may be a
DHL> DVD-RW drive.

David H. Lipman

Please specify the model and/or HP part number.

--
Dave

| Hello, All!
|
| Has anyone here had success installing an HP 14gb tape drive in an xp
| system? I have both external and internal drives but when I try to install
| the s/w for the drive and b/u I can't because it is not designed for XP.
|
| Currently I have it on my w2k boot and they all work fine.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Uncle John

I have used a DDS 3 HP 14/20GB tpae drive with XP Pro. It did work but was
not completely reliable so I upgraded to a DDS 4 40GB drive which is fine.

David H. Lipman

There is NO DDS that is 14/20GB. DAT DDS3 holds 12GB/24GB I have used both Sony and HP
tape drives and were SCSI and should Plug 'n Play with no problem under WinXP and work with
NTBackup or with HP supplied software.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...TypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42846&lang=en&cc=us

--
Dave

| I have used a DDS 3 HP 14/20GB tpae drive with XP Pro. It did work but was
| not completely reliable so I upgraded to a DDS 4 40GB drive which is fine.
|
| --
| Uncle John
| | > Please specify the model and/or HP part number.
| >
| > --
| > Dave

| > |
| > | Has anyone here had success installing an HP 14gb tape drive in an xp
| > | system? I have both external and internal drives but when I try to
| > install
| > | the s/w for the drive and b/u I can't because it is not designed for XP.
| > |
| > | Currently I have it on my w2k boot and they all work fine.
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > | Colonel Blip.
| > | E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
| > |
| > |

David H. Lipman

That is an older drive. Colorado was bought by HP several years ago.

Parallel port and floppy controller drives are not supported by WinXP. Sorry !

I suggest a Travan IDE drive or a SCSI drive. I know tapes drives are not cheap and want to
keep your investment. However, parallel port drives are very, very, slow. You'll be
happier with the performance of a SCSI, wide-SCSI or IDE/ATAPI tape drive. An alternative
may be a DVD-RW drive.

--
Dave

| Hello, David!
| You wrote on Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:50:06 -0500:
|
| DHL> Please specify the model and/or HP part number.
|
| It is an HP Colorado 14GB model for the internal and an HP Colorado 14GBe
| for the external (parallel port type).
|
| Thanks.
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Plato

Colonel said:
Has anyone here had success installing an HP 14gb tape drive in an xp
system? I have both external and internal drives but when I try to install
the s/w for the drive and b/u I can't because it is not designed for XP.

So in other words, you want to trust your data backup to a drive NOT
meant for XP.

That's NOT a good backup plan.

Colonel Blip

Hello, Plato!
You wrote on 4 Feb 2005 02:09:16 -0600:

If it works I do. As it turns out I've been able to install the tape unit
and backup software on the XP system and it appears to be working fine. I
will be doing a test backup restore just to make sure all is well before
worrying about a change.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)