Desktop icons keep moving

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

I setup my desktop icons they way I want them and then when I reboot they
have moved around. How do I get them to 'stick' where I put them. I've got
'Align to Grid' set for the desktop.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Bob I

Sounds like your profile isn't saving properly, try setting up another
account and see if things are better when you use it.

frodo

this can happen for several reasons, a bad profile save is likely, as
stated.

this is not a fix for that specific issue, but:

there is a nice "extra" you can get that will save your icon layout and
allow you to restore it whenever it gets messed up, like when you change
screen size etc. It's called Icon Layout and adds a right-click item to
the My Computer Icon. Very Handy. There are several variants out there,
they all use the microsoft layout.dll file from the nt4 resource kit.

google for: icon layout

to find them...

Colonel Blip

Hello, (e-mail address removed)!
You wrote on Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:41:02 -0000:

Thanks to all for the profile info. I will look at that. I have iconoid
installed and it restores them; just a pain to have to do it every time.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

f> this can happen for several reasons, a bad profile save is likely, as
f> stated.

f> this is not a fix for that specific issue, but:

f> there is a nice "extra" you can get that will save your icon layout and
f> allow you to restore it whenever it gets messed up, like when you change
f> screen size etc. It's called Icon Layout and adds a right-click item to
f> the My Computer Icon. Very Handy. There are several variants out
f> there, they all use the microsoft layout.dll file from the nt4 resource
f> kit.

f> google for: icon layout

f> to find them...

Colonel Blip

Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:07:16 -0600:

If I were to do that wouldn't I also lose all of the user settings, i.e. my
desktop, several applications, etc.?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

BI> Sounds like your profile isn't saving properly, try setting up another
BI> account and see if things are better when you use it.

BI> Colonel Blip wrote:

Rock

Colonel said:
Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:07:16 -0600:

If I were to do that wouldn't I also lose all of the user settings, i.e. my
desktop, several applications, etc.?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

BI> Sounds like your profile isn't saving properly, try setting up another
BI> account and see if things are better when you use it.

BI> Colonel Blip wrote:

You can copy settings from the old account to the new account. First
create a new account and see if that fixes the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm