How to set up a network with USB modem

Reaction score
[size=-1]Hi, Does anybody is using tiscali?

How to set up a home network if they give me a USB modem?
What kind of router should I get?

Please give me a clue how to it!

Thank you very much!!!
[/size]

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As KGB says, I dont think you can use a router with a USB modem, as the connections just don't match :(

Reaction score
true you can't use a router with a usb modem.

but, what you can do is install the usb modem on a computer and use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), then connect all other machine's using a hub/switch or wireless access point and set the default gateway to the machine that has the usb modem attached.

The machine with the usb modem attached acts as a router with a Network Address Translator (NAT) which allows multiple computers to access the internet using a single internet protocol (IP) address.

There are two downsides to the above config.

(1) The computer with the usb modem attacthed has to be powered on for the other machines to be able to access the t'nternet.

(2) You may (or maynot) experience lag, as the computer with the usb modem attached has to process all internet traffic.

Try it, if you don't like it then go out and buy a router.

J

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I am assuming that Tiscali is ADSL broadband, in which case you can get rid of the supplied modem and buy an ADSL Router to connect to the phone line, and an RJ45 Lan cable to connect to the PC.

I have just helped a mate connect his AOL ADSL broadband using an Netgear DG834G ADSL Wireless Router. It took 10 minutes using the Netgear setup to be up and running without any problems - which considering he was using AOHell was almost miraculous!

So I would definately recommend the Netgear Router...I use a Belkin, but I think the Netgear was easier to setup.

(The best bit was I then removed all the crappy AOL modem drivers, software and browser off his PC and he now has an always on direct connection....:D )

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Oooops forgot to mention you can then connect up your other PC's either via cable or wirelessly to the router and then run the windows network wizards to set up your network.....

Reaction score
Thank you for all helpful and useful replies from you guys. I am worry because Tiscali seems like to give me a USB modem:
http://www.tiscali.dslshop.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=246
I am also confused because my mate told me Tiscali provides dynamic IP but not static IP so you can't use a router to set up a network.
Also, someone told me shoud buy a broadband router with modem inside. I have checked on some web sites already. They don't mention anything about the modem part in a broadband router.

Too many questions in my head now!!

Could you guys give me some ideas ?

Ta!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
1. Dont worry I have checked on several broadband forum sites and many people have successfully set up Tiscali with the Netgear router I have suggested to you.

(However it is evident that Tiscali is almost as hated as an ISP as AOHell!! - but not much you can do about that now if you've already signed up...:( )

2. The Netgear DG834G router I have recommended has an inbuilt modem to connect directly to your ADSL connection.

You state that Tiscali are ' likely to give you a USB modem' - does this mean you havent signed up with them yet? - if not go elsewhere..

If you are already with Tiscali, let them sent you their modem, then bin it and buy the Netgear router...:)

Reaction score
Hi Adywebb,

Thanks for your reply again!

I haven't sign up with them yet but unfornately only Tiscali and AOHell(ha ha!) may fit my budget. I need to share the broadband with my flatmate who just only using it for checking email or reading news.
I prefer to choose one which at least has 15GB for downloading. Therefore those two ISPs can fit both of us are Tiscali (2mb speed and 15GB download space-£19.99) and AOL(512k and unlimited download space- £15.99) and free activation fees also.

They both around 15-20 pounds. As my flatmate is a light user. This is the price that he is willing to pay.

I am welcome to any other recommendation!

That Netgear DG834 ADSL Router looks quite nice actually!!!

Reaction score
the netgear DG634 & DG834 are awful routers.

netgear have admitted that there is a fult with both these models and there is currently no fix.

just tried to find the forum thread on the netgear support site but can't.

there's a problem when you open multiple TCP/IP connections, for example if file sharing software is used, the routers will work for 5/10 mins then crash.

last time i was looking at this problem was around feb 05 and there was no fix.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
My mates not having that problem with the DG834G so far with file sharing, but I did update with the latest 'beta' firmware before installing so maybe its now ok.Have to say its working like a dream, and installation was very easy even on AOHell...

If Waiting is just going to share the broadband connection, I dont think he's going to have any problems with it.

Techy said:
the netgear DG634 & DG834 are awful routers.

netgear have admitted that there is a fult with both these models and there is currently no fix.

just tried to find the forum thread on the netgear support site but can't.

there's a problem when you open multiple TCP/IP connections, for example if file sharing software is used, the routers will work for 5/10 mins then crash.

last time i was looking at this problem was around feb 05 and there was no fix.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
He can use any ADSL Router of course, as I said before I use a Belkin without problems, but I suggested the Netgear as it seemed to work well when I fitted my mates and was very easy to set-up.....not bad looking too:D

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
1. Dont worry I have checked on several broadband forum sites and many people have successfully set up Tiscali with the Netgear router I have suggested to you.

(However it is evident that Tiscali is almost as hated as an ISP as AOHell!! - but not much you can do about that now if you've already signed up...:( )

2. The Netgear DG834G router I have recommended has an inbuilt modem to connect directly to your ADSL connection.

You state that Tiscali are ' likely to give you a USB modem' - does this mean you havent signed up with them yet? - if not go elsewhere..

If you are already with Tiscali, let them sent you their modem, then bin it and buy the Netgear router...:)

I have set up the network with that netgear router. VERY EASY!!! Thanks for your advice!

Ask a Question