Windows 7 How to decide which services are needed

Reaction score
How do I fathom out what services I don't need and which ones I do,their names are always not self explanatory and further might need other services in order to function.Depencies they are called,is there a Dummy guide to services?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
don't break something that doesn't need fixing ... Win 7 does it fine on its own

:user:

Reaction score
Just talking as a complete amateur I also advise that you leave well alone, I tried it once and ended up doing a complete reinstall. As some one else said "If it aint broke don't fix it" unless you are a IT technician leave that kind of thing to the pros

muckshifter

Reaction score
Services won't run unless needed ... you're not playing with Win95 anymore.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd agree with everything already said - in Windows 7 the difference made from disabling services really is minimal and if you disable the wrong ones, are more likely to just cause frustration further down the line when an app depends on it.

If you did want to go tweaking things, there's a guide by Black Viper here:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-configurations/

But even in that guide, the entries marked as safe to disable are only ~95% likely to be problems free:

This is the configuration that 95% of the people will be able to use with little or no side effects. It will also minimizes the amount of “errors” that is reported in the Event Viewer. This does not guarantee it will work for you, but if adjusting your services scares you, this configuration would be a good starting point.

It could be that disabling some to shave off a few unnoticeable milliseconds at boot actually adds time in the long run by having to identify and re-enable services ;).

muckshifter

Reaction score
640k is more than enough ... :lol:

sorry, but gone are the days we need to "free up resources", Win7 doesn't need anyone's help.

If, however, you are running Win95/98 & XP, then, have a bash, but please, don't bother us if things are a little nucking fackard.

Ask a Question