How do I maximize my memory usage???

Reaction score
I have 3.2GHz pentium CPU, 2GB of memory.

I'm wondering if my PC automatically maximizes the fact that I have alot of memory.

I don't feel that it's that much faster than when I had 1GB of memory.

I checked out my specs using AIDA32 and this is what it said regarding my memory usage..........I've attached a jpeg showing the system info.

Attachments

• MemoryUsage.jpg
    MemoryUsage.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 225

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you will only use it when its needed, you'll mainly see improvements in some games and in image editing

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't feel that it's that much faster than when I had 1GB of memory.
It won't be ... open a few more programs at the same time, that should use some up. ;)

Now, when Vista eventually hits the streets, and if you can afford it, and if you have a 2GB vid card you'll be sitting pretty. :D

There is, what some of us term, a "sweet spot" when it comes to memory ... especially with Windows ... and that ran something like this ...

Win95 ... 32MB
Win98/98SE ... 64 MB
Win ME ... 128MB

... anymore than that was just a wast of money. Unless one was an art & graphics designer that is, but then they would be using something with a bit more clout anyway.

Then XP hits the scenes ... and we all soon found out that 1GB was its 'sweet spot' and not 512, although it will happily play ball with that.

Now we chuck games into the mix and a surprise there to some is, we don't actually need any more ram than the 1GB ... we need a new morgage for the overly priced graphics cards. :D

:thumb:

Reaction score
I think that you've hit the problem muckshifter........

My PC is shop bought, so I haven't changed the graphics card as yet. I will get around to changing it at some point.

It's an ATI RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI-E

I use many graphic design programs like photoshop, illustrator, quark, and also 3D programs like Microstation (similar to Autocad), so the graphics card I have is probably not good enopugh for what I need it for.

Which card do you recommend I get that would maximize my PC's memory and CPU, when I'm running at least 2 graphics programs at the same time (which I often do).

Money isn't too much of an issue, although I'd prefer to buy something that is economical for what it does.

Cheers or your advice.

3.2GHz Pentium 4, 1M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB
2GB Geil RAM
ATI RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI-E
200GB SATA HDD

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh gawd, don't ask me about vid cards ... I just bung in what I can afford ... I not a games player, well not games that need any sort of power card, and my time with graphic design was back in the 80s. ;)

One of the others will probably point out a couple, or you can search the forum, I'm sure you'll find a few threads on what is good.

:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
looks like you do a lot of grpahics work and not much gaming, in that case you dont need to go crazy, a 256MB card would help you out, have a look at the X800GTO and 6800GT they have plenty of power and are pretty reasonably priced

Reaction score
Which is better for 3D graphics programs, or graphics in general?......

radeon X800GT / X800GTO 256MB

or

6800GT / 6800XT 256MB

(This may be a shock to some, but I don't do any gaming at all!!)

Ask a Question