Help: Ethernet Modem....

Reaction score
Hi, its beeen a while. Hope everyone is keeping well- including muckshifter.:p

Got a bit of a dilema that I thought some1 may be able to hep with......:(

I have been running a USB modem for the past couple of years, finally decided to "upgrade" to a wireless netgear router/modem. Now, this connects to the Ethernet socket, as oppose to the USB a la old modem.

Problem is, when connected up, the modem lights up like a xmas tree(as it should), but internet explorer doenst pick up the new modem- hence no connection! Tryed setting up a new connection, on several occasions, to no avail!

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice welcome, cheers. :thumb:

Reaction score
I've had the exact same problem on that model with mine and a friends router.

We tried everything...

The only way we solved the issue was to phone up netgear - they fixed the problem online since we couldn't fix the damned thing; it was a problem out of our control.

It always seems to be on that particular router model where the problems flourish.... are you using windows vista and an OS in any of the laptops/PC's?

Good luck, the number for netgear should be with paperwork that came with the router...

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong?
Loads, probably ... :wave:

ISP ?

You don't need a connection ... IE is simply set to Never Dial in the connection settings.

Got the "filters" connected correctly ?

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Loads, probably ... :wave:

ISP ?

You don't need a connection ... IE is simply set to Never Dial in the connection settings.

Got the "filters" connected correctly ?

Oh knew it would be some stupid setting :rolleyes:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have that router, its as mucks said iirc 'too clever for its own good'
laughingsmiley.gif

does it show up in my network places ? if it doesn't unplug the ethernet cable give it 5 seconds then plug it back in leaving the router turned on the hole time

Reaction score
Thanks Micheal, Me and Mucky. Sadly none of the above have done the trick.

Am I right in thinking an ethernet modem doesnt need specific drivers installed other thank the mobo software?

In "task manager" in "networking"- there is local area connection (as there is on the laptop and other pcs) until I open the usb modem connection? Could this be the problem?

(Think I may have deleted it when I freshly installed XP.) If so, how do I set up a new one? Tryed new network connection to no avail- also tryed installing the Nvidia Nforce 4 drivers again- still nothing!

muckshifter

Reaction score
carbolicsmokeball said:
Thanks Micheal, Me and Mucky. Sadly none of the above have done the trick.

Am I right in thinking an Ethernet modem doesn't need specific drivers installed other than the mobo software?

In "task manager" in "networking"- there is local area connection (as there is on the laptop and other pcs) until I open the usb modem connection? Could this be the problem?

(Think I may have deleted it when I freshly installed XP.) If so, how do I set up a new one? Tried new network connection to no avail- also tried installing the Nvidia Nforce 4 drivers again- still nothing!
You is correct ... ADSL modem/routers do not need any 'software' if using Ethernet ... you will, however, need your Ethernet motherboard drivers. ;)

If you did a clean install of XP then you lost everything ... how many yellow exclamation/question marks are in your Device Mangler ??

Again, who is your ISP ?
Depending on how your ISP set up your Internet account, you need one or more of these
configuration parameters to connect your router to the Internet:
• Virtual Path Identifier (VPI)/Virtual Channel Indentifier (VCI) parameters
• Multiplexing Method
• Host and Domain Names
• ISP Login Name and Password
• ISP Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses
• Fixed or Static IP Address
... page 3.3

The above should be pre-set ... but to which ISP ?

Have you any ADSL 'Micro-Filters' for your line, how have you connected them, is there only one BT line and/or do you have any other lines ? How you use these filters is important, connect them in the wrong way will render your access to the net to read as dead.

Can you Log-on to the Router ? Open IE and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, press enter, it should connect to the Router.

Have you read the Manual ? ... it's on the CD. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Mucky, my ISP is IDnet, filters all fitted. Ther are no yellow exclamation marks.

Tryed the 192.168.0.1 address, sadly doesnt connect- usual page cannot be displayed notice.

Any idea how I reinstall a connection to the ethernet modem? I've tryed network settings to no joy. Seems to be that the computer isnt recognising the new modem!

I've been onto the Nvidia website and D/L and installed the newest mobo drivers.........

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
198.168.0.1 into the address bar, press enter, it should connect to the Router.

Now that's the first thing I would have done :thumb:

I have the same router, the attached pix shows you what happens when you type the router's URL into Explorer's address bar, (password is 'password' btw) then the 2nd pic shows you what you see when you click on the first - the menu where you can enter your ISP's details.

I didn't have any problems at all setting mine up and I'm a bit fick when it comes to all things internet.

PS: Do you have all your network ports enabled?

Attachments

• netgear.jpg
    netgear.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 120

muckshifter

Reaction score
Tried the 192.168.0.1 address, sadly doesn't connect- usual page cannot be displayed notice.
Until you can resolve this, you ain't gonna get anywhere fast. ;)

How are you using the filters ? You only use one, if you put two on one line you will not get access to the Internet/modem.

Your Ethernet is enabled in the BIOS, innit ? What MB is you using ?

Of course, I haven't ruled out the fact that the Router/Modem may be faulty, try resetting it (little thingie on the back) ... this ain't an eBay 'special' is it ?

You may need to pop it in the post for me to check it out for you. :D

user.gif

Reaction score
I'm a silly boy! The bios wasnt enabled for ethernet!

Right, although its now being deteced, its still not working. Tryin the 192.168.0.1 command, getting asked for a user name, and password. tryed floppys advice, no joy!

Whats next please.....:)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
username will be admin as for the password i cant remember it mite be password

muckshifter

Reaction score
Look, I ain't been funny here but ... RTFM. ;)

When prompted, enter admin for the user name and password for the password, both in lower case letters. After logging in, you will see the menu below.
page 3-9

That password is the default for many ADSL Modems, so to is Admin & Admin, and needs to be changed by you, or anybody within earshot can access your Modem, and possibly, your PC.

user.gif

Reaction score
carbolicsmokeball said:
Trying the 192.168.0.1 command, getting asked for a user name, and password. tryed floppys advice, no joy! ;)
Thanks guys but^^^^

Right, appears the password is wrong. Tried your suggestions to no avail. Could the router/modem be locked to another ISP- so not compatible with mine(IDnet)?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
That password is the same for all Netgear Routers at new - I have one - if its not then it must have been changed.

Where did you get it - is it new? - if you got it from IDnet, then give their helpline a call :thumb:

Edit: so its a second hand Sky one?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
carbolicsmokeball said:
Thanks guys but^^^^

Right, appears the password is wrong. Tried your suggestions to no avail. Could the router/modem be locked to another ISP- so not compatible with mine(IDnet)?
Dunno, what "settings" does your ISP use ... have you looked on their site ? ... press the reset switch in on the back of the Modem ... believe it or not, that WILL reset the password back to the default.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You won't get anywhere until you can access the router's 'control panel'.

So either phone your supplier or pay that geezer on E-Bay the 99p and access your router.

Once you've done that, you need some details from your ISP that you have to enter in the router via it's control panel.

We'll go through that once you've gained access.

I assume you've tried searching on the net for a free solution to unlock the Netgear?

Ask a Question