Ethernet or not ethernet?

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got a quick question about my gigabyte K8VT800 mobo, the spec on this board tells me that there is onboard lan chip and there is a ethernet socket at the back. does this just mean that i can connect two pc's together or can i connect my NTL modem directly through the ethernet socket on the back and get a quicker connection than my USB?
Under network adapters i have three things,
1.1394 net adapter
2.realtek rtl8169/8110 family gigabit ethernet nic (currently disabled)
3.usb cable modem 351000
I,m sure the answer is as simple as me....
networkconnection3tq.png

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Always use Ethernet for Modems over USB ... if given the option.

:thumb:

Reaction score
I tried to connect my cable modem to my pc using an ethernet cable but i could not establish a connection to the internet.
Do i need additional hardware?

muckshifter

Reaction score
moriati said:
I tried to connect my cable modem to my pc using an ethernet cable but i could not establish a connection to the internet.
Do i need additional hardware?
Nope! ... it should be as simple as that.

However, you will need to uninstall the Modem software and reinstall this time tell it you are using ethernet & not USB.

;)

Reaction score
Hi tried the last tip but to no avail... when i installed my modem telling it to use the etherent connection it happily did it, but then when i checked it in network connections i found that there was a problem, there was no connection. after it automatically trying to acquire my network address it just flashed up that there was no or limited connectivity.

Got my USB back in and everything is fine... Getting confused now!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nope! ... it should be as simple as that.

However, you will need to uninstall the Modem software and reinstall this time tell it you are using ethernet & not USB.

;)
Mucks,

Not sure what NTL provide as a modem/router, but I would have thought you needed to configure the default gateway setting on the LAN port to send the internet traffic to the router. Also, what about changing the connection details in IE?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
CITech ...

dunno ... but it's only a modem, not a modem/router as BT ... All I ever did was plug them in, turn on ... sometimes you had to phone them to give them the MAC address, but as moriati had it aready setup it won't need doing again.

NTL has a very simple setup ... wish they would stop supplying a USB cable :eek: as their Modems ARE Ethernet anyways.

I have moved a few from USB to Ethernet, but you NEED to plug-in 'live' when told to ... never liked that idea of pluging a live Ethernet. :rolleyes:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Cheers Mucks

Always good to know what these companies are supplying these days.:D

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, have tried a number of things since my last post,

1. uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek ethernet NIC,
2. updated mobo drivers
3. tried unistalling both modem and realtek NIC, then rebooting to see if windows will configure off a fresh start, both were setup, but got the same problem of little or no connectivity from the ethernet.

One thing that is puzzling me is when i plugged in the usb it worked straight away without any configuration.

Looks like i'm doomed to only use USB.....or would a pci ethernet card help?
System spec at the mo
Gigabyte K8vt800 pro mobo
AMD 64 2800+ CPU
Maxtor 80gb HD
1gb crucial pc2100
ATI Sapphire 9550
running on XP.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, strange little bugger.

No, I would not use another card ... but I'm stuck for an answer.

:blush:

Reaction score
Woo Hoo, got it licked... followed a thread on a microsoft support forum and changed some of the settings on my network connections then rebooted and reinstalled the modem with an ethernet cable setting and hey presto all is running smoothly.

Thank you again for everyone's help, it is much appreciated.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Jolly good show old bean ... well done what!

:D

Reaction score
hi, first post
i have a toshiba satellite A80 series notebbok with a marvell yukon 88e8036 pci-e fast ethernet adapter preinstalled

however, i was sucessful when i tried the same through usb cable.
also the system does not show the ethernet adapter under the network adapter list.

what should i do?

Reaction score
hey moriati,

cud you give the link to the thread on the microsoft support forum u followed. hope it would help me as well

Ask a Question