Will the Gigabit Ethernet Hub make a difference in Internet speed?

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just bought a USB 3.0 hub with a Gigabit Ethernet port on Amazon. In fact, I prepared to purchase only a unique hub to expand the ports of my PC in office. But it is a really budget with the LAN function as a bonus. So I think it can be also used to expand my Macbook with an Ethernet port at home.

There is no issue or puzzle over the hub function. But in the aspect of Ethernet, I am a little bothered by the relatively slow speed even compared with the wireless connection (WIFI) at home.I wonder if this kind of connection indirectly will probably lessen the speed rate of Internet.Or could anybody help me analyse the real causes for example wrong operation or installation ?

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Reaction score
I would first suggest to check what speeds your Ethernet connection supports at the rear of the machine?
Or even what it is set at within the system options.

Also make sure the cables aren't damaged

"The now-aging USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). That's impressive, but not as much as the newer USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum."

"In computer networking, Gigabit Ethernet (GbE or 1 GigE) is a term describing various technologies for transmitting Ethernet frames at a rate of a gigabit per second (1,000,000,000 bits per second), as defined by the IEEE 802.3-2008 standard."

However speeds/flow rates can be selected within the adapter preference 'Control panel/device manager/network adapters/advanced'

Reaction score
I would first suggest to check what speeds your Ethernet connection supports at the rear of the machine?
Or even what it is set at within the system options.

Also make sure the cables aren't damaged

"The now-aging USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). That's impressive, but not as much as the newer USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum."

"In computer networking, Gigabit Ethernet (GbE or 1 GigE) is a term describing various technologies for transmitting Ethernet frames at a rate of a gigabit per second (1,000,000,000 bits per second), as defined by the IEEE 802.3-2008 standard."

However speeds/flow rates can be selected within the adapter preference 'Control panel/device manager/network adapters/advanced'

Very appreciated for your kind explanation. It seems that I need to uninstall the Ethernet adapter and check and record related data for comparison. Actually I got the same 5OG broadband at home as in office. But the speed slows down not a little when using the adapter as an Ethernet connection indirectly compared with WIFI. I have checked the cables to be OK. I wonder if the driver I downloaded from their site is some kind of my Yosemite OSX. I am not sure if it is the updated version.

Anyway I will also try your advice such as selecting different adapter preference and invite my colleague to help me find the solution when he visits my home again if possible.

Ask a Question