• No, I don't bother.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Would like to!

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are quite a few people buying off the shelf machines (and I admit my current machine is, but only because it was cheaper in this case).

Have you built your own PC?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apart from the very first one I was given, which was an 8086 or something (ancient) I've built every one of my computers, from my first 386-based board up to this XP3200.

Only one way to learn - do it :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
which was an 8086 or something (ancient)
That was my first PC (upgraded to an EGA monitor after a year or two), and I had it for aaaaaaaages... The PC after that was a P120, so it was quite an upgrade ;) Strangly enough, because I was so small and knew so little at the time, I found it more than enough to do everything I wanted!

It even had a Windows-esq GUI installed (from some shareware club) and could let me run apps from icons on the "desktop" and even have a basic background. All on a system with 640KB ram :eek:

Reaction score
my cousin built my first computer (NF7-S, XP2100, 512Mb PC2700, TI4800 128Mb) and i re-built that into a windowed case about a year ago. Last December i sold it for £450. Built my new one from scratch (see signature) and thats how i because so interested in hardware.

Since then i have built my parents (IC7-G, 2.8c, 512Mb, 9600XT), rebuilt my sisters into a new case (XP2000, 256Mb PC2100, 64Mb internal Ge Force 2 MX), Built my nans (KV7, 2600+, 256Mb PC3500, FX5200), a couple computers for mates, and yesterday i delivered the latest build (A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3200+, 1Gb PC3200, 9800 Pro) to a friend.

There ya go.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I bought me 1st one 2nd hand from and advert in me local paper. It was a Pentium 120, 16mb ram and a woping 1.5gb HD. I upgraded that abit, got it a 4gb HD (£70 back then :blush:), 96mb ram and a Voodoo 1 graphics card. Then one day it just died on me, i didnt bother with it, just chucked it. Then from that I went to an AMD K6 500Mhz, 256mb ram, 20 gig HD, TNT2 32mb graphics card. Which was the business, when Quake 3 was out. Then after that I built my own 1.4ghz Athlon (thunderbird), 512mb ram, Geforce 2 TI, SB Live soundcard, 40 gig HD. Then I went off computers for a while, was getting expensive! Then a couple of years later I bought a Dell Dimension 4600 :D.

If I was to get a new computer, I think I might build again, its alot of fun when it goes right ;).

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
me and my friend built his computer 2 days before we built mine. just to say, we had no idea what we where doing!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I think I know how to build computers from scratch since this message is from the one I built. If it get through to PC Review, I must be doing something right.

Have been building since last 15 or so years.

Reaction score
I got a job at sainsburys yesterday and during the first day of induction we got to look round the offices at the back of the store. They have all these shiny new compaq computers in black and silver.... and in the corner they have a light brown computer with an old vdu that can only display green text ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

must be stone aged

Reaction score
I am gonna build my own pc next summer to take to uni, will prolly be posting here every time i melt something ;) .

Anyone know a good site to read up on pc building, already read afew but it cant hurt to read the same information again to make it stick:) .

Finn

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Chris,

Since I am also from the stone age era, I can remember those monitors, if my memory serves me right they were called CGA (computer graphics array) monitors. :)

Mucks and Flops also belong to that same era! :D

Reaction score
My first PC was an Amstrad464 the one with the tape deck.. my mate had a Commadore 64 and he would play all these Adventure Games... "Go north and talk to the green goblin to get the key"... ha ha.... those good old text adventure games

Then i upgraded to an Amstrad664... well if you could call it an upgrade... Exactly the same PC but with a disk drive instead of a cassette

Then.... (Drum Roll)... An Amiga500.. but i had to go and be cool and spend a fortune to upgrade it to a whopping 1 megabyte...lol.. the best game i had played on that was "Wings"

Then a 486... Then a P2 400mz which is what i have now.. I have never built one from scratch .. however i have had this one in a million pieces and changed so many bits i think the only original bit left is the motherboard...

The Next PC will be self build :).... Comming Soon!!.. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
it's not hard at all - plug things where they fit and thats about it...
:eek:

That's on a par with the advice the harbour master gave to the Captain of The Titanic - 'Just steer a steady course to New York and there will be no problems' :D

Seriously, there's quite a bit more to it than that.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
they must have been reliable Quad... if sainsburys still use them!
You bet! ) Monitors from those era had only one button (On/Off) very little that could go wrong, unlike the latest breed which has so many controls on the front panel that if you do not use a few buttons for weeks they stop working.

The other word for "simplicity" is "reliability" :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
:eek:

That's on a par with the advice the harbour master gave to the Captain of The Titanic - 'Just steer a steady course to New York and there will be no problems' :D

Seriously, there's quite a bit more to it than that.
Hehehe..... That did make me laugh.. :)

Reaction score
had a few of them very old keyboard with the anying loading sound - yip - the spectrum

then i had a P 333mhz - then had a PS2 inbetween my current 2.2ghz

now building my new 3.2 - just waiting fir the PSU - and need to find out where these last two fan cables go - think i'll just get to jumper(or something to join them up)

as chris said - so far all i done it connect the wire up to the mother board and so

mother board is marked - so i never even read the instruction till later !

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey Flops what do ya know? It Worked! no real problems.. (*koff*)

Ask a Question