• Yes, but not always.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • No, I don't bother.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Would like to!

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Yip, ive been building pc's since i started work in a computer shop in '95. Literally must have build hundreds of pc's. Bad habit (or good depending on what way you look at it), my tendancy to use about 30 cable ties per machine! But there's nothing worse than an untidy computer!!!! Grrrr! :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
B Y O PC

Yes, I agree, plonk the "bit-n-bobs" in where they go ... if your not sure, a 6LB lump hammer will help.

The major drawback with building your own is when you have a problem ... :D

That's why we're here ... :thumb:

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
You bet! ) Monitors from those era had only one button (On/Off) very little that could go wrong, unlike the latest breed which has so many controls on the front panel that if you do not use a few buttons for weeks they stop working.

The other word for "simplicity" is "reliability" :)
My monitor does not have any buttons! not evan a power one!

If you use your brains, you would figure out why...

muckshifter

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
My monitor does not have any buttons! not evan a power one!

If you use your brains, you would figure out why...
... its a Laptop.

Chalk one up for Mucks, still got some working brain cells.

:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mucks deprived me of an opportunity to answer that question, but, he was on a holiday and his batteries are fully charged! However, it does not mean I would have guessed why your monitor does not have buttons :D:D:D

Reaction score
I'm not too bright, as my wife is constantly pointing out, but even I had the wit to work out what it would cost to build my own computer,and surprise, surprise! It costs you more to build your own. This is because every item you buy has the full manufacturer's mark-up and delivery cost factored in. Plus, you have to deal with multiple suppliers, you have to handle your own warranty claims and you don't have a three year guarantee period to play with.

Unless you are a masochist who loves to see thin wisps of smoke rising from your motherboard or you actually have some vague idea of what you are undertaking, you would be better off letting computer manufacturers run the risks of self assembly. You might get a computer that doesn't show a pretty blue screen every five minutes. Then again, you might not....

Reaction score
Plus, you have to deal with multiple suppliers
not true, i try to stick with one supplier to save on delivery, unless there are significant enough savings to be had by using another that can cancel out the delivery cost and then some...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
cogent1 said:
I'm not too bright, as my wife is constantly pointing out, but even I had the wit to work out what it would cost to build my own computer,and surprise, surprise! It costs you more to build your own.
I would disagree, but it's a fine margin and it does depend on where you buy your components from.

This is because every item you buy has the full manufacturer's mark-up and delivery cost factored in. Plus, you have to deal with multiple suppliers, you have to handle your own warranty claims and you don't have a three year guarantee period to play with.
Agreed, to a certain degree. I always try to buy all components from the same supplier, as shipping costs do more than anything to add to the price. I also only buy from those suppliers I have found to have a good RMA service.

If you build your own, often you can overcome a lot of the simpler problems immediately, without having to wait for an engineer to arrive from your complete system supplier. Also, if a fault is traced and proved to one component, it's a likely chance that if you're a self-builder, you may have a spare component to keep you going until your RMA replacement arrives.

You may even wish to upgrade that component and just buy a new and better one.

Unless you are a masochist who loves to see thin wisps of smoke rising from your motherboard or you actually have some vague idea of what you are undertaking, you would be better off letting computer manufacturers run the risks of self assembly. You might get a computer that doesn't show a pretty blue screen every five minutes. Then again, you might not....
I am not a masochist but I do confess to having some vague idea of what I'm doing. But, in my opinion, you don't need a degree in rocket science to build your own, particularly with Forums such as this one to help you.

If you're totally clueless, then yes, I would agree to buying an off the shelf model.

However, the attractiveness of building your own is flexibility. You can buy exactly the parts you want, and according to your budget, you won't cut corners anywhere, you'll know all your parts are good. This cannot be said of readymades, imo they always economise somewhere, probably with a cheap batch of parts they've bought in bulk and cheap. A perfect readymade system is expensive, and from my experience, is a rarity.

And you think you're covered by that three year warranty. I'll allow myself a smug grin and point you to the countless stories of poor backup from firms such as Mesh, Dell, Gateway et al. The internet is choked with bad news stories about suppliers such as these.

One simple problem with an off-the-shelf system and you may very well be without the use of your computer for a month or more. I've rarely known an RMA to take that long for an individual component from an online supplier. Alright, I'll admit, two weeks is common, but it's still usually quicker than a vist from a Mesh engineer, for instance.

One last thing, when building, nothing can beat the sheer satisfaction of seeing a system you've specced, ordered, purchased and assembled working really fast and smooth and behaving very well indeed. It's a buzz ;)

Fair points, cogent1, and I've replied with my point of view, for right or for wrong.

Reaction score
Yup I build them for a living! Approx 23-30 a day, all shapes and sizes for one of the biggest PC distributors in the UK. Not mentioning who unless people think i'm advertising them!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey Flops where do you get your stuff from? Do you know if newegg.com is worth wile?

Reaction score
Fieburn, are the computers you assemble really a load of cheap crap? Or do they mostly comprise OEM versions of the same units that you can buy on mail order when building your own: ASUS motherboards, Western Digital Drives, Radeon graphics cards, Sony DVD drives, etc. ? There may be the illusion that you are exercising choice, but you are just as likely to use the same basic components as a M**H,T**Y or D**L computer. If you are working (as most of us are) on a tight budget, you may well be tempted to buy cheap or secondhand components to stay within your upper limit, just like those naughty manufacturers.

So it boils down to this. BYO gives you a good feeling because you're being creative and it allows you to have some leeway in choosing some of the components. If you are planning to use quality branded components you save no money, even if you spend many man-hours scouring the net for the best deals available.

Floppy, I don't object to anything you have said; it makes a refreshing change to have lively interchange of differing opinions. But on your point about warranties, I have had hundreds of Viglen computers pass through my hands as a university IT Technician. In five years, I had three motherboard failures, two graphics cards, two floppy drives, and about sixty hard drives (remember Fujitsu?). Apart from the latter which was a one-off drive maufacturers ****-up, reliability simply wasn't an issue. On the other hand, my Mesh computer at home was supplied with a DVD drive that never worked and as you say, their service was so poor I just bought a new one and fitted it myself.

Here's a challenge then! If any person will supply me with Pentium 3.2GHz PC, with a decent TFT monitor, Sony Multilayer drive, 1Gig DRAM, 200Gb HDD and a Radeon AIW card for under £1000, I will buy it from them AND treat them to a slap-up dinner at Macdonald's in Cardiff. (Transport not included.)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Excellent a dinner at Mcdonalds, all i have to do is build a new computer and fly over where ever you live!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Here's a challenge then! If any person will supply me with Pentium 3.2GHz PC, with a decent TFT monitor, Sony Multilayer drive, 1Gig DRAM, 200Gb HDD and a Radeon AIW card for under £1000, I will buy it from them AND treat them to a slap-up dinner at Macdonald's in Cardiff. (Transport not included.)
Sorry, the best I can do is a ...
3.4 CPU
250 HD Maxtor
17" TFT CTX S701BA Black 3 Year Warranty, 1280x1024, 450:1
1gig Twin Cors' (2 x 512)
Asus P4P800
Sony DRU700A
ATI 9600XT (as far as I know its an AIW, but then it's been a long time since I used ATI)

£1004.03 inc VAT

Oh ... and a cadboard box (but actually there is a price for a case in there) ... and you can keep the meal

However, if you don't mind an AMD system I can get it in, in under £1000 ;)

... and I also live in Cardiff

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Hey Flops where do you get your stuff from? Do you know if newegg.com is worth wile?
I buy mostly from overclock.co.uk, but use several others, overclockers UK, Scan, Dabs, Komplett, Tekheads, Kustom PC's, CCL et al. Varying experiences with each, none of them's perfect. I never, ever, ever, ever, buy anything from e-buyer or redstore, horrible places, imo.

New Egg? Just about all the USA folks I *know* on the Net think NewEgg is the dog's dangly bits or, in common parlance, rather excellent.

And Fujitsu Drives? Yes, I remember them, first HDD I ever had go belly up on me, 4.2Gb flavour as I remember.

Reaction score
put a 9600XT in my parents computer.

Definatly not an AIW, unless there is an AIW version of 9600XT

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey KGB, i never heard of anyone building their own laptops before. Although i've heard that Alienware laptops have some kinda of graphics cards thing that allows you to upgrade the card when ever you need to in the future. it think it just came out.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB,

No you cannot build a laptop on your own but you can certainly configure it to a great extent on the makers site when you order it. For example you may get a choice of processor, agp card, HD size, HD speed, ram and other goodies like wifi, bluetooth etc. Buying a shell and building one at home is not an option at all, at least not yet.

If you want to try building one go to IBM or Dells website and build one as far as configuration is concerned, go upto last stage (before you actually buy) and come back smiling for having built one for fun sake. :D

Reaction score
How fun Quad! i have allready built one on Dells site (my current)

When i was looking for a laptop, i came accross Alienware, but they were so expensive! im off to have a look on there ite to see what they do nowerdays...

Ask a Question