• Yes, but not always.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • No, I don't bother.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Would like to!

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
OK back from my "trip" to alienware, wow...

some amazing laptops / desktops! For a heck of a lot of cash, where am i going to come up with that kind of cash?!?!

Several Grand...

Reaction score
I'm afraid that I would never go back to buying of the shelf or even getting one built by someone else...not only do i love 'speccing my rig' but I enjoy building for other people as well, so it's about more than the cost.;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
1nteger said:
I'm afraid that I would never go back to buying off the shelf or even getting one built by someone else...not only do i love 'speccing my rig' but I enjoy building for other people as well, so it's about more than the cost.;)

I wouldn't have to 'go back' I've never, ever bought a ready made system. First system I built was 386 based, with some advice from a friend.

I thought 'This is easy'. Common sense, really.

As for the rest of it, 1nteger, yep, it's a given ;)

Welcome back, btw :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
First system I built was 386 based, with some advice from a friend.

I thought 'This is easy'. Common sense, really.

LOL - it's real easy until you've put it all together, double checked every connection, powered up and hear...complete silence! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! I'm sure we've all been there more than once. I reckon that 5% of building a system is about screwing things together and 95% about not panicking when it don't work first time:D.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
1nteger said:
LOL - it's real easy until you've put it all together, double checked every connection, powered up and hear...complete silence! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! I'm sure we've all been there more than once. I reckon that 5% of building a system is about screwing things together and 95% about not panicking when it don't work first time:D.

I have to confess there's some truth in that statement, lol ;)

Reaction score
Started with an Aldi PC P450 MHz about 4 yeurs ago. in aboud half a year i was fedup with it. Started at that moment with upgrading. Never have stoped. Current rig is an AMD 64 3200+. I am thinking about the DFI board for my next upgrade.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i built my current system with the help of the guy that owned the shop i bought it from and have since helped friends build and upgrade theirs

Reaction score
i built my current system and put in a cd drive in my Dell couple years ago ... and changed the ram ... but on another note, are there alot of programs that copatible with a 64 but cpu or is it mainly for games at the moment, cuz my friend keeps tellin me that and i am confused to the difference between 64 and 32 bit cpu's

Reaction score
Yeah, me too, and the one before this, and the one before that etc..................

I have lost count of how many of the beasts I have built, as someone else said "it's not rocket science". One of the suppliers once told me that "if you can read and understand what you read then you should have no problems doing anything with a computer". He was right too.

Reaction score
thamenace said:
... are there alot of programs that copatible with a 64 but cpu or is it mainly for games at the moment, cuz my friend keeps tellin me that and i am confused to the difference between 64 and 32 bit cpu's

Maybe your confusion is related to the difference between a 64 bit CPU and a 64bit Operating System...

There are no (or very few) actual 64bit Windows applications yet, including games - that is: written to perform best under the new Windows 64bit OS.

Most people using a 64bit CPU will still be running Windows XP (a 32bit OS) but that's ok as 64bit CPUs work fine with the 32bit OS.

In the coming months and years, applications and games will start to emerge that are specifically written for 64bit processing, and will either need or work best with a 64bit chip and 64bit OS.

You can already get the new Windows 64bit OS, but because there are no real applications or games for it yet, it might actually mean that running even a new game would slow your system performance while playing it. Also,the new windows 64bit OShas only just emerged from beta stage, and as we all know, most software (especially Micorosoft) is heavily buggy for a while.

Conclusion: 64bit hardware (the CPU) is already out there and very worth upgrading to. But 64bit software operating systems are still in their early stages and benefits in any applications or games are not likely for a while yet.

Get a 64bit CPU but don't worry about a 64bit OS:thumb:

Reaction score
Yeah I prefer to build all my own and friends systems. Complete choice of componants then.Gonna be getting another Gigabyte 6800GT soon aswell. Wanna try SLI config. Should be fun..

Alltho games are flawless as it is, guess I jst like spending money LOL

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Alltho games are flawless as it is, guess I jst like spending money LOL
:D me too cept i usually dont have the money to spend :p
was shootin for a 6800GT PCI-E but dont have a PCI-E (or SLI for that matter) Mobo so went with the AGP version... i wonder if i can exchange it for a PCI-E in the future...

Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better, i'm still stuck with a radeon 7000 series :blush: :mad:

still churns out HL2 ok though...but only just! :)

Reaction score
Well m8 I knw people that cant even afford a third hand computer :(
Without trying to patronise you I hope that makes u feel a little better again :)

SLI boards and the PCI-E cardswill come down in price eventually, guess u jst gotta be patient m8.

Reaction score
TBH i could afford better if i really wanted, it's just not that much of a priority for me.

some things (ie beer) are way more important! ;)

Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't know where I fit in on this one. My last computer was bought off the shelf cause it was open box and a killer deal. Though Since then I've changed a lot of the computer and even put it in another case.... So I did build it , but i didn't buy all the parts individually.

Ask a Question