Hardware Wizard can't find drivers for USB devices

I'm having trouble installing a USB printer and flash drive. Whenever I
connect anything to a USB port the Found New Hardware Wizard pops up but can
never find the drivers for it.

I didn't think a generic flash drive needed special drivers for XP, but it
still searches for one, and of course can't find one. This flash disk works
fine on other PCs.

With my printer, I install the drivers but the hardware wizard can't find
them. I've tried manually pointing to them on the CD but that doesn't work
either. The printer is a Canon ip2000 if that helps?

I'm running XP SP2 with all the updates.

I would really appreciate anyone's help on this because I'm about to lose my
temper with it!

Thanks,
Wayne

Yves Leclerc

Did you install the motherbaord chipset drivers? These drivers usually help
Windows in locating the motherboard devices correctly.

Yes, I have. I recently changed the motherboard so the first thing I did was
install the drivers.

I've just remembered something else strange - since I installed a new CD-RW
drive this week Hardware Wizard has also tried searching for drivers for that
too (and failed). Obviously no drivers came with the drive because it's XP
compatible.

Do you think it's a motherboard problem or a Windows problem?

Thanks again,
Wayne

Kevin

You must follow the instructions for installation of the printer with
painstaking care and accuracy. Flash drives should work with no issues at
all. Just plug it in and Windows sees it and away you go. Have you tried
uninstalling the USB ports in Device Manager and allowing Windows to
reinstall them?

Jim Macklin

Check the BIOS settings and for updates, a new mobo may have
been on the shelf for a while before you got it. Make sure
plug and play is turned ON and any ports and services are
not disabled, unless required.
Reinstall the latest mobo drivers and make sure that
Services in Windows are not turned OFF.

some support

message

wrote in message

| > > I'm having trouble installing a USB printer and flash
drive. Whenever I
| > > connect anything to a USB port the Found New Hardware
Wizard pops up but
| > > can
| > > never find the drivers for it.
| > >
| > > I didn't think a generic flash drive needed special
drivers for XP, but it
| > > still searches for one, and of course can't find one.
This flash disk
| > > works
| > > fine on other PCs.
| > >
| > > With my printer, I install the drivers but the
hardware wizard can't find
| > > them. I've tried manually pointing to them on the CD
but that doesn't
| > > work
| > > either. The printer is a Canon ip2000 if that helps?
| > >
| > > I'm running XP SP2 with all the updates.
| > >
| > > I would really appreciate anyone's help on this
because I'm about to lose
| > > my
| > > temper with it!
| > >
| > > Thanks,
| > > Wayne

I intentionally re-read the manual at each step of the installation to make
sure I conformed - once bitten..... Everything was fine until I connected
the printer - Hardware Wizard found it but couldn't automatically find any
drivers. I manually pointed to one but it claimed it didn't contain any
reference to the device.

As for the flash drive, on my notebook I see it appear in the notification
area and it works fine, but on my PC the Wizard intervenes and claims it
can't find a driver, therefore I can't use it.

I've not tried uninstalling the USB ports in Device Manager - I'm scared
Windows won't be able to reinstall them now! Do you still think I should try
it?

Thanks,
Wayne