Graphics card help

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and am only 14 so if this is the wrong place to post my problem or I make no sense at all please don't bother shouting at me because it sounds like you are all adults. My problem is that I recently got a new computer and downloaded directx 9.0.
but when I install some games, especially demo's, it says I need a grsphics card that supports directx 8.1 or above. I have heard about something called drivers but don't know where to get them and have litterally no money to buy a new graphics card.
My PC is manafactured by pacard bell, its processor is intel celeron 2.66ghz. memory is 192 megabyte RAM.
I think my graphics card is SiS 651C. Approx. total memory 64.0 MB and chip type is SiS 661FX rev 00.
I am not sure if the info I gave helps but like I said its my first post and I'm only 14. Thanks for any help if you give it.
Ps. could someone tell me if my PC could run the first everquest, i dont have broadband... would i need it?

Reaction score
it's ok, chris is a little squirt too! ;)

only messin, welcome to pcreview!

it's always nice to have the opinions of younger people! (as it is older people, mucks ;))

if you've got direct x 9 installed you won't need to install a lower version when prompted by a game.

your graphics chip (SiS 661FX) is direct x 9 compatable so will be more than fine with any games that require direct x 8.

you will most likely have probs playing everquest on your machine. if oyu haven't already bought it, i wouldn't bother, if you have bought it then try it.

Everquest Minimum Specs can be found here.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Don't knock yourself because of your age; you have enough sense to ask questions.

As you already have DX 9 you can quite happily ignore any 'warning' regarding DX 8.1 ... a lot of software just does not check to see what you have. Lazy software writers.

All software comes with an "ingredients label", by that I mean, the minimum specifications needed by your system to run that particular software ... take that with a pinch of salt and then double it. ;)

To be brutally honest with you I wouldn't expect too much joy with your system ... on-board graphics will use the CPU to do most of its work unlike an AGP graphics card, and, you are 'sharing' what memory is available between the two. Not a good idea when it comes to games.

The CPU, Intel Celeron 2.66, sounds impressive, but sorry to say is Intel's version of a snail ... it's lacking in oomph and has to help out your graphics with whatever it needs to do. Your 'built-in' modem will also need the CPU to do its work for you.

As an "Office System" and for use with school/college work it will be fine ... a games system its not.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's the way I see it ... Save, beg, borrow and get yourself something with a lot more oomph. :cool:

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. As much as I would love to play everquest I might not bother getting it unless i get broadband and have some spare cash floating around (unlikely). Everyone at the PCreview website sound really friendly and seem to know what thier talking about so thanks again!
P.S. could you tell me what a driver for graphics card is because I have seen a lot of stuff about them but dont understand what they do. ( I wanna learn as much about computers as possible to become a game designer in the future)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Are1989! Welcome to PC Review!

Graphics drivers are bits of software that tell the computer how to use the graphics card properly. You will have some installed, but there are new ones released all the time. I've tried to find the ones for your PC, but we will probably need the model of the PC to make sure they are the correct ones.

You may be able to download some game demos to see if your PC can run some games, there could be one for everquest (although it would need broadband to download, as it would be huge :)).

Reaction score
It's made by packard bell, Not sure if thats what you meant but a guess is better than nothing.

Reaction score
Hey Are1989 - i'm only 16! So is Imrie, and theres some 15 year olds here too...! Just because your 14 dosent mean your gonna get yelled at because you have a problem and need help!

We don't bite :) haha

As everyone above said, sorry that PC isn't really very good at gaming at all. It can't cut it. The Celeron series, as mucks said, is stupidly slow. Its a processor with reduced amounts of onboard cache, so is cheap. The 2.66GHz may SOUND impressive, but really it isnt. I dont know how you would compare it to an AMD or P4 chip but my guess would be 1.5GHz P4/Athlon 17 or 1800? Maybe thats a little on the harsh side, but thats pretty much it really.

If you want to be able to run some games, the best thing you can do to the computer without actually upgrading the entire system would be to buy yourself a new graphics card such as a
GeForce FX 5700 LE (see my review) or Radeon 9600.

Well i say a New graphics card, i mean A graphics card. Shared graphics are not cool, not cool at all. They use your system memory which slows things down, and usually the onboard graphics are not good at all. My sisters computer had onboard GeForce 2 graphics. Upgraded it to a 5700LE (see review) and its pulling near 3000 3DMark03 points. Before it was pulling 92 !!

Also another 256Mb of RAM would help. I would imagine both of the above mentioned would cost probably just under £100. Would greatly improve things.

Basically (i think) drivers translate what the card does into stuff the rest of the computer can understand. They will also tell the computer about the card and what it can and cant do, and the newer the driver, usually the more efficient it is. And therefore faster. Thats basically it...

Hope that helps

Chris

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Are1989 said:
P.S. could you tell me what a driver for graphics card is because I have seen a lot of stuff about them but dont understand what they do. ( I wanna learn as much about computers as possible to become a game designer in the future)
I dont want to sound like im repeating what everyone else is said, but i guess im going to anyway :blush:.

You need drivers for alot of hardware (infact most) for it to work properly. Whether its for a mouse, graphics card or sound card. All the driver does is tells your computer all about the hardware and makes it work properly.

Graphics card drivers are normally updated every now and then so that the graphics card can work even better, because the maker of the graphics card (Ati, Nvidia etc etc) has had more time to tweak/tune the drivers.

The better your graphics card the less pressure your processor will be under during games. You can spend over £400 on a top of the end graphics card, which will eat up any game you throw at it without breaking a sweat. More memory isnt quite as important as a graphics card for playing games, but it still is very important. The more memory you have, the quicker the game will run/play. There are some real memory hungry games out there like Doom 3, Far Cry and the upcomming Half Life 2 (yay!).

If you can, try to get a new graphics card, the one chris recommended is probably the best for the price and try to get another 256mb of memory to make your grand total 512mb.

It would be a good idea to check the net for the January sales comming up if you have any christmas money left over ;).

Reaction score
I really hate these cheap celeron based machines with onboard graphics. my old man bought a dell with celeron cpu 1.8Ghz, 128MB RAM and basic onboard 32MB intel graphics, onboard audio with 15" CRT monitor (was about a year ago) with XP home for £399. it's so slow it makes me nearly cry everytime i use it, it was bought to browse the internet and word processing which it does do, but slowly. its one of those those machines that your scared to click something incase it hangs for 10 seconds to think about it.
To try and speed it up i disabled all xp's fancy stuff, graphical rubbish and totally unnesessary (<- should have gone to school more often, is that spelt right?) services, services that shouldn't really be installed on an operating system designed for home use and it's still slugish.

So i though ok, it's only got 128MB RAM (graphics memory is not shared, luckily!), let's install another 256MB RAM (PC133 by the way), so i did, and although its better it still isn't great.

Now, if your still awake ;), i have also got a PIII 866Mhz machine with 256MB PC 133 RAM, AGP x2 FX5200,and a PCI SB 128, cost me £1000 at the time (2001) and wasn't far of top of the range. (note: upgrades since purchase, extra 128MB RAM and replaced 32MB TNT2 with the FX5200 128MB(cheers ian)), the performance of this 3yr old machine with £70 worth of upgrades works superbly, never crashes, runs the internet and office apps smootly and with pace and will play Halo on medium to high settings.

If i tried to sell my PIII machine (which is in perfect working order) when my old man bought his celeron machine i could probably get £100 max for it including a 17" decent quality Dell branded monitor, so thats £399 for a PC that struggles loading office apps with a 15" monitor or £100 for a machine that that will quite happily do all the office and internet stuff and also play some quality games, what would you choose?

There used to be a rule when buying PC's that in my experience never failed, spend a £1000 on a machine from a reputable manufacturer and it will keep you going for at least 3yrs. The first year you'll have a top of the range machine that can play any game out, the second year it can play all the new games but with only half the detail and in the third year of it's life the machine's still useful as an office machine, and does the job very well, it will then continue 'till it dies. (just like the terminator!)

The way i see it is that machines that were being built up until around 2002 were good quality and were built to last because a computer then was seen as a piece of expensive equipment that was expected to last. Most of the machines that you buy in 2004 are put together as cheaply as possible with as higher spec as possible, thus they don't last as long. The specs you see at amazingly good prices might have a 2+ Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, 200GB Hard Drive, 256MB Graphics Card and 5.1 Surround Sound Audio. They're the popular specs they're the specs that people generally look for and compare when buying a PC. These machines may have the big seemingly impressive specs but when you look at the full specs with all the technical details (which manufacturers tend to hide) you'll first notice that the manufacturers of the equipment you've never heard of, the more detailed specs like the spin speed (RPM) or response time of a hard drive and the FSB and CAS Lantency of the RAM. An example, when i worked for Time Computers they sold a "top of the range" machine (cost circa £1200" witch included a AIW (All In Wonder) graphics card with 256MB of RAM where you could input TV to your PC and also output video, sounds great the graphics on this system was sold as new technology, (to bring this into perspective Time were selling this up until May 2004), the card that was in these machines was a ATI 9200 AIW, anyone that knows anything about computers will know that this card was used in the ice age to make the snow look prettier!, now Time Computers as a rule has pretty clueless customers when it comes to computers, so everyone that bought one of these machines thought it was great, that was until they iinstalled the latest ATI AWI software when they got an error message saying "no DVD decoder detected", this is an error message and generally Time customers ring technical support when they get any error msg (the best one was a customer calling when they were faced with the message "do you really want to shutdown windows?) anyway "no DVD decoder detected", so, when a customer rang up asking what this error message meant we had no choice but to explain that the new (at the time) ATI 9800 AIW graphics card includes a dvd decoder where as the top of the range ATI 9200 AIW doesn't, the arguments went on from there.

In todays economy as prices rise, eg, did a can of coke cost 60p 3yrs ago? (butty man at work now charges this, gave me a funny look when i commented on the price and he said "i was due a payrise!", cheeky b*****d.) why is it computers are going against everything else and getting cheaper? yeah ok the technology is getting cheaper, but IMO the quality of machines is getting cheaper as well. The problem is we don't expect computer equipment to last as long as a television for example. If a televison lasts 3yrs with out a hardware fault then why shouldn't a PC?

Originally basically what i'm getting at is why not sell PIII machines with 256MB RAM and a 64MB graphics card,
If i tried to sell my PIII machine (which is in perfect working order) when my old man bought his celeron machine i could probably get £100 max for it including a 17" decent quality Dell branded monitor, so thats £399 for a PC that struggles loading office apps with a 15" monitor or £100 for a machine that that will quite happily do all the office and internet stuff and also play some quality games, what would you choose?

There used to be a rule when buying PC's that never failed, spend a £1000 on a machine from a reputable manufacturer and it will keep you going for at least 3yrs. The first year you'll have a top of the range machine that can play any game out, the second year it can play all the new games but with only half the detail and in the third year of it's life the machines still quite useful as an office machine, and does the job very well, it will then continue 'till it dies.

The way i see it is that machines that were being built up until around 2002 were good quality and were built to last because a computer then was seen as a piece of expensive equipment that was expected to last. Most of the machines that you buy in 2004 are put together as cheaply as possible with as higher spec as possible, thus they don't last as long.

In todays economy as prices rise, eg, did a can of coke cost 55p 3yrs ago?, why is it computers are going against everything else and geting cheaper? yeah ok the technology is getty cheaper, but IMO the quality of machines is getting cheaper as well.

Basically what i'm getting at is why not sell PIII machines with 256MB RAM and a 64MB graphics card with a 17" CRT monitor for £399, i know thats what i'd rather have. if your gonna buy a cheap machine to do those office jobs, why have a machine that tries to be more than it is, get a machine that tells you exactly what it is and what it can do.

Just to finish off, you can get a second hand PIII Machine from any computer fair or on ebay and in my opinion is better than any of these cheap machines you can buy for under £100.

Think about it.

if that made sence i'm amazed, lol ;)

Kye

Reaction score
optical computers will be the end of computer upgrading. let alone quantum computers.

and the best thing is, optical and quantium comps are most likely in our lifetime! well, mine at least, and im 18.

2009 is a rough date for optical computers.

Reaction score
thanks for your post everyone, I have been at school and only just got back when I posted this.(school, only good for lookin at the girls during lessons)
Well techy, you have amazed me with your long and complicated post but I think I understood it, so thanks.
my last question is that by the sounds of it if I bought a new graphics card it would play half decent games. so should i get one for christmas, because I am stuck with this PC for a while wether I like it or not. I might aswell upgrade it slightly as long as I dont spend too much money and waste it on something thats beyond help.
So my question really is should I buy a new graphics card if all I want to do is make it run half decent games, which is what I want it to do by the way.
I am not going to rush out and buy the most expensive graphics card because I can't afford it and by the sound there would be no piont, just tell me if I should buy a new graphics card and maybe some examples would help.
All this to play games...I guess I'm learning...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have the model number of your PC at all? The reason I ask is we would need to check what sort of graphics card your computer can handle.

Most computers come with an AGP slot, which yours would need for a good graphics card. Some companies miss these slots out to reduce costs, and that makes it very difficult to upgrade.

Reaction score
At this point you need to think about the warranty it came with, the chances are, upgrading will invalidate it.

Reaction score
The sytem model is 00000000000000000000000 which sounds wierd to me but thats the only think I can think of that your talking about.
And I don't have a warranty on it, it cost extra...bah!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think that system model will help ;) Are there no codes on the case of your PC for the model?

Reaction score
There is a small sticker with a lot of numbers and stuff on the sides and what look like bar codes. But I have to look at it upside-down so I thought I better check to see if that was it and what I was looking for on it before I bothered saying anything.

Reaction score
Thats not it, its kind of black with silver outlines. the top is all silver and the packard bell sign is a little lower and on the back part.
I guess all I can tell you about the sticker is exactly what I see and if thats not it I have no idea because its definetly the only thing I see. And it is late and I am tired so if thats not it could you give me an example of one so I know what the thing I am looking for looks like?
NIght Night everyone.
By the way, i just installed an old thief 2 game I had lying around...its really good!

Reaction score
last post actually, X10-23534 is also on sticker, don't worry too much about helping me, I could always go into a shop and ask for help couldn't I? Or search on net for my PC and find out.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are1989 said:
last post actually, X10-23534 is also on sticker, don't worry too much about helping me, I could always go into a shop and ask for help couldn't I? Or search on net for my PC and find out.
I'll see if I can find anything with this number :)

Ask a Question