Windows XP Good media player?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Can anyone recomend me a good media player that i can use? I've been using Realplayer for a while but am not compleatly happy with it. Have tried Wimamp and dont like WMP. If anyone can help or just advise me than that would be great!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Windows Media Player 10 !!! Woo That one rules ! Always use it ... i hate Realplayer !

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What is it you are looking for in a media player? WinAMP normally works for people who don't like WMP. Both are very skinable.

I personall use WMP 10 - its quick and easy, and works with everything :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just thought i still only got WMP9! is the new one much better?

Reaction score
Yeah i prefer it :) It's much more user friendly i feel ...

TRY IT ! :) Won't regret it ! lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Winamp for audio - has been my favourite for years.

WMP 10 or Power DVD V5.0 for video.

Reaction score
Yeah WMP 10 is wicked for audio ... Really easy

Don't watch DVD's on pc lol use my TV. Bigger screen ! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Belloni said:
Yeah WMP 10 is wicked for audio ... Really easy

Don't watch DVD's on pc lol use my TV. Bigger screen ! :)

I often watch DVD movies on my computer, looks OK with 22" screen. Actually, I don't know why Iiyama insist on calling it a 22" screen, it actually only measures 20.25" corner to corner :confused:

Have a 28" widescreen TV as well with Toshiba DVD player, and put the sound through my Hi-Fi (2 channel).

But I do like the old 5.1 sound on the 'puter :)

Reaction score
Oh i see !!! That's odd calling it 22" !!! lol False advertising !!! lmao

Hehe, Ask them ?! Maybe they rounded it up or something :S

Plus i have a sofa to actually WATCH the DVD on! Instead of a chair ! haha

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Winamp is by far my first choice when it comes to audio on pute, never liked anything else. I do not use computer speakers, Have a NAD amp driving Mission speakers. The amp is just 25 watts but the combo is nothing short of hifi.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I recommend Winamp 5 - 100%

I have been using winamp through its different versions for about 6/7 years now. Its always been my fauvourite.
Very easy to use, and many skins and addons are available. I like to use it with the player and tracklist alighned to the right of the screen.
Would recommend it to anyone - 10 out of 10.

Current version i think is winamp5 available from www.winamp.com

attachment.php

Attachments

• winampscreen.jpg
    winampscreen.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 381

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right installed WMP10 using it now, the sound is good, needed to tweek th e.q but thats all good, It is better than th v9 One prob tho, i got a few cds that i ripped using Realplayer now i cant listen to them in WMP. I could just re do them but is there an easier/quicker way?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
what fromat did you rip them to.

WMP has it's own ripping feature which is able to rip and encode to a couple of different formats.
My choice for ripping is MP3 format, the main reason being it's the format i always used, and to change to another format now would mean lots of work as I have about 18GB of MP3. Good format though, kinda why i stuck with it

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
RealAudio (.ra) So i'm sure its not gonna play in WMP. Bugger!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The .ra file extension is just one of the many reasons Realplayer sucks a huge one.

WMP10 rips to mp3 quickly, or try dbPoweramp or Cdex.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
ra - Real Audio is one of Real's own encoding formats, so isn't generally accepted by all players (some will play it though.)

You'd be better off using a more generic format such as MP3 or WMV (both formats can be use to rip & encode from within WMP and Winamp 5Pro)

;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
RP only lets you rip mp3 upto 96kbps, unless you pay! What about the copy protection thing i needed to copy a cd for the girlfriend and some of the tracks she wanted were unabled to be copied (Using Realplayer) coz it was WMA. So what i'm saying is, will i be able to do that if i use WMP?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
So what i'm saying is, will i be able to do that if i use WMP?

Unless the CD has some specific anti-copying protection built in, yes, you will be able to.

For those 'awkward' CD's, you can still do an analogue copy by plugging a CD player into your sound card's line in, then ripping to WAV or mp3 using dbPoweramp's Aux module.

I'm not sure if I should be saying that or not..... me walking on thin ice I think :blush:

Ask a Question