Gateway laptop not working...

Reaction score
I hope I am posting in the right forum..I know NOTHING about computers! :blush:

We have a Gateway laptop that we purchased in December of 2007
  • Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
  • Anti Virus Software : Norton (I think!)
  • Anti Spyware Software : unsure...
  • How do you connect to the net : ADSL wireless router
  • Your Computer Specifications - I'm not sure where to find this information, but if you tell me, I will find what I can
Last night our 7 year old daughter decided she wanted to play on Webkinz while I was cooking dinner so she brought the laptop to the dining room and put it on the floor. She started it up and then decided to go get something so when she went to stand up, she put one hand on each side of the touchpad and pushed herself to stand up. I heard a loud noise but didn't really think much of it. I don't know that she ever went back to the computer after that, as I finished dinner and we sat down to eat. A couple of hours later, my husband decided he wanted to look at some things on the computer so he went to get it. He sat down on the couch with it and turned it on and it seemed to start up normally, then all of a sudden went to a black screen that said "Operating System Not Found". He shut it down and tried to restart it a few times and got the same message. I had him try to run the system recovery CD that came with the computer (we had to do that a few weeks back when we got a virus so there was nothing on there that we were concerned with losing). After he went through several steps with that we received a message that said "resource conflict - PCI network controller on motherboard". Is it doomed? Any ideas? Would certainly appreciate any help. Thanks so much! Kim

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"Operating System Not Found" ... that's the hard drive, cable may have been dislodged.

"I heard a loud noise" ... ouch! that don't sound so good. :(

We could get you to try a multitude of things, but I would recommend you see your friendly computer shop, if you have one.

Laptops don't bend easily, something will give under the strain, if its just a cable, great, if it's a cracked motherboard, then a new lappie is the order of the day.

Welcome to the forums.

:user:

Reaction score
kshrum said:
I hope I am posting in the right forum..I know NOTHING about computers! :blush:

We have a Gateway laptop that we purchased in December of 2007

• Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
  • Anti Virus Software : Norton (I think!)
  • Anti Spyware Software : unsure...
  • How do you connect to the net : ADSL wireless router
  • Your Computer Specifications - I'm not sure where to find this information, but if you tell me, I will find what I can
Last night our 7 year old daughter decided she wanted to play on Webkinz while I was cooking dinner so she brought the laptop to the dining room and put it on the floor. She started it up and then decided to go get something so when she went to stand up, she put one hand on each side of the touchpad and pushed herself to stand up. I heard a loud noise but didn't really think much of it. I don't know that she ever went back to the computer after that, as I finished dinner and we sat down to eat. A couple of hours later, my husband decided he wanted to look at some things on the computer so he went to get it. He sat down on the couch with it and turned it on and it seemed to start up normally, then all of a sudden went to a black screen that said "Operating System Not Found". He shut it down and tried to restart it a few times and got the same message. I had him try to run the system recovery CD that came with the computer (we had to do that a few weeks back when we got a virus so there was nothing on there that we were concerned with losing). After he went through several steps with that we received a message that said "resource conflict - PCI network controller on motherboard". Is it doomed? Any ideas? Would certainly appreciate any help. Thanks so much! Kim

As Mucks say s laptops don't bend easily...And the weight of a yong kid is enough to do all kinds of things..I'd say the same and suggest taking it in to a shop and have tehm look at it..Is it a new laptop../ Is it insured or under warrenty..?

Ask a Question