Fork 'andles!!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Give me strength!! This afternoon I spent ages speaking on the phone with Amazon UK's customer services department, getting nowhere fast.

To be fair, Amazon have a really good CS reputation and they are always very helpful, but the staff I've spoken with recently, have all been extremely heavily accented and one or two are clearly struggling with English. This leads to some awful misunderstandings.

Today, I had to repeat the words "wing nuts" over and over again, to a guy who didn't appear to have a clue what I was talking about.......... Actually, there were a set missing from an item we'd ordered, which wouldn't have been so bad, if the brackets they were supposed to attach to, hadn't also been missing from the package! :fool:

The fellow kept on and on about whether I was "sure those parts should have been included in the box?" Yes, very sure. "But it doesn't mention these parts on the web page" No, it doesn't, but they are an integral part of the product. Without them, the product is unsafe and not able to be fixed - it also mentions the parts in the leaflet in the box; the one which tells you how to put the thing together.
It began to remind me of the "Fork 'andles" "Four candles" sketch by the Two Ronnies.... I began to wonder why I'd ever started the conversation.... when, for the umpteenth time, he said "...Um...If you could just repeat the last part of what you said a moment ago...." Doh! But then I remembered the cost, and the fact that we now had a large, unusable item sitting on the kitchen table, sans brackets, wing nuts and usefulness! :wall:

It should have been soooo simple. I ordered a bath board - it's a simple, heavy-duty, plastic, slatted device, which should sit securely over the bath, (using aforementioned nuts and brackets) providing hubby with a safe, sit-down option when he showers/bathes. (He has no feeling in one of his legs/feet, so this affects his balance a bit.)

After quite some time, I was told that I could return the board and get a refund... because to get a new board would mean a wait of up to 2 months! Yikes, we need the board right now! So I was told I could print out a return label and all would be well.

No, I couldn't print a return label, because each time I clicked on the button which should have taken me to another, label-making screen... I would be told that no return had been authorised. Aaaarrrghhh.......! I couldn't face yet another round of explanations and misunderstandings, so this time, hubby tried. This time, a woman answered.... but still, there was the accent problem. I felt awful for wimping-out, particularly when hubby had to keep asking her if she could speak a little more slowly.

He ended-up in a call as long as mine had been. But this time, instead of being told to print a label, he was told that the item couldn't be returned, because it was classed as "personal" and therefore not eligible. We had only "owned" it for about 2 hours - it was still unused, in it's polythene wrapping, only the outer box had been opened. We didn't have to unwrap the whole thing to see that parts were missing. But no. We could have a refund, but should keep the (useless) board... "Or," she added helpfully, "You could give it away to someone...!" No, we can't, it's not a complete item.... didn't matter. We must keep it.

Okay, so Amazon has been more than fair, in that they say the cost will be refunded to our account... but, really, it was the darned board we needed. I had so hoped they might be able to arrange to send on the missing bits, or maybe swap the board for one which had no bits missing.

And I wouldn't have minded so much, but this is the second one which has caused problems. The first, ordered before Christmas, was never delivered and I suspect the company didn't even bother to post it! I mentioned that little fiasco in another thread. What is it about bath boards, that seems to cause such big problems, for goodness sake!!!

Sorry, this is probably extremely boring to most, but I so needed to have a rant about it. :D

Reaction score
TC, do you have a Lloyds Pharmacy near you?
I think they do a catalogue where you can buy what your after, just dont ask me how!:blush:

Will have a dig on the net for you now.

Be back shortly.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Sorry, this is probably extremely boring to most, but I so needed to have a rant about it. :D

The whole customer Services/language barrier thing really gets on my nerves. I am all for equal oppertunity etc. But seriously when you are in a CS role where the most predominant language is English, then the CS agent/person should have a basic grasp of English. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you for the replies, I didn't really think anyone would want to read my ravings lol.

This is the type we ordered - looks just like this one. All the fittings are underneath, but they should brace against the sides of the bath basically.

AA1093A.jpg

I appreciate the links Feckit, thank you :) I think before ordering another, (bearing in mind the holiday weekend will delay things anyway,) it might be an idea to try contacting the manufacturer.

I found their website earlier and see that they mention spare parts. Tried ringing them, but of course, they are now closed until midweek. But hopefully, someone there, will be able to give us a bit of guidance about which bits we need to get hold of. Should be able to purchase those bits from them too, with any luck. So keeping fingers crossed. :)

Evan, I so agree with you. I have absolutely no problem with where a person might be from originally, but please employ folk who have a good knowledge of the language. Particularly in customer service situations, where people are often in a tizz to begin with. :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Go to B and Screw-It ... wing nuts come in sizes M4 - M12 ... you can by an assorted pack (M4-M12) of 40 for around £2 - £2.50

Send the ones you don't need to Amaze-on. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bit sad to see Amazon appear to be going downhill now, I'd always trusted them.

I had problems with them myself recently, not because the guy didn't have a grasp of English but basically cos he was as thick as two short planks, I did spout off about this little saga in another thread here somewhere.

I've just ordered some footwear and a book from Amazon, hope there's no probs.

I used to buy some vinyl records from Amazon but have discovered that not only are HMV's prices generally better but their customer service is really rather good, albeit a little slow. Better stock at HMV too, much wider range of vinyl goodies.

Good luck with the bath thingie.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Go to B and Screw-It ... wing nuts come in sizes M4 - M12 ... you can by an assorted pack (M4-M12) of 40 for around £2 - £2.50

Send the ones you don't need to Amaze-on. :)

:lol::lol: I would definitely have done that if it wasn't for the fact that there isn't anything to screw 'em onto. There are other fittings missing, which the side pieces should attach-to.

Bit sad to see Amazon appear to be going downhill now, I'd always trusted them.

I've just ordered some footwear and a book from Amazon, hope there's no probs.

Good luck with the bath thingie.

To be fair to Amazon... we frequently buy stuff from them. This has been the first time, in about 9 years of shopping with them, that anything has gone so wrong.... so not a bad record.

When I checked my emails last night, I found one from Amazon telling me they had already reimbursed us - so that's very decent service.:thumb:

Over in Amazon's customer discussion area, one of the hottest topics atm, concerns Amazon's choice of delivery couriers. One firm in particular, is getting a lot of stick because of its dreadful service and failure to deliver on the promised dates. Also, their tendency to tell porkies about people being "out" when they're actually at home, waiting for their parcels. Quite a few peeps now cancel their orders, (so they say) when they see that courier's name on the delivery schedule.

The delivery problem is, hopefully, fixable. But it would be sad, if Amazon should lose their good customer service rep because peeps experience frustration due to what is effectively, a language barrier.... and I honestly don't mean that in an insulting way.

Fwiw, we both kept our cool yesterday, despite being taken round and round in circles. No point in shooting the messenger, after all. But containing exasperation and maintaining politeness and courtesy ... phew, was it ever exhausting! :lol:

I'm sure you're DMs and the book will be problem-free Flopps, hope you will enjoy them. :thumb:

Reaction score
Oh thank you for the replies, I didn't really think anyone would want to read my ravings lol.

This is the type we ordered - looks just like this one. All the fittings are underneath, but they should brace against the sides of the bath basically.

AA1093A.jpg

I appreciate the links Feckit, thank you :) I think before ordering another, (bearing in mind the holiday weekend will delay things anyway,) it might be an idea to try contacting the manufacturer.

I found their website earlier and see that they mention spare parts. Tried ringing them, but of course, they are now closed until midweek. But hopefully, someone there, will be able to give us a bit of guidance about which bits we need to get hold of. Should be able to purchase those bits from them too, with any luck. So keeping fingers crossed. :)

Evan, I so agree with you. I have absolutely no problem with where a person might be from originally, but please employ folk who have a good knowledge of the language. Particularly in customer service situations, where people are often in a tizz to begin with. :nod:
Hello Taffycat.
Just a thought,and it`s nothing to do with your conversation with Amazon.
The bath board sits across the bath..yes? So that a person sits on it while having a shower. Question: where does the shower curtain go.It can`t go in the bath to stop the water getting to the floor,unless the person sits on it.
historian

Reaction score
This sort of thing happens with nearly all van delivery drivers now a days. I`ve tried to engage them in banter on the door step like,"`Cor you`re getting wet" They just look at you as much as to say "I don`t understand you" and they hand over the little gadget for you to sign that you`ve had delivery. Goodness knows what they`ll be like if they ever have a road accident,proberly make a run for it.
historian

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hello Taffycat.
Just a thought,and it`s nothing to do with your conversation with Amazon.
The bath board sits across the bath..yes? So that a person sits on it while having a shower. Question: where does the shower curtain go.It can`t go in the bath to stop the water getting to the floor,unless the person sits on it.
historian
An excellent point Historian... I'm hoping that a bit of judicious folding and tucking will do the trick.

As yet, we've not been able to test that theory, because the hoped-for spare parts are proving to be difficult to obtain (the manufacturer turned-out to be just a supplier, so they weren't able to help. :rolleyes:)

Looks like we'll have to start again and purchase another.

Reaction score
An excellent point Historian... I'm hoping that a bit of judicious folding and tucking will do the trick.

As yet, we've not been able to test that theory, because the hoped-for spare parts are proving to be difficult to obtain (the manufacturer turned-out to be just a supplier, so they weren't able to help. :rolleyes:)

Looks like we'll have to start again and purchase another.

Many thanks for your reply Taffycat.
Looking at your photo could you not find someone to make one for you,it looks quite simple. If you do get one made up make sure it`s well sanded down!!
historian

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply Taffycat.
Looking at your photo could you not find someone to make one for you,it looks quite simple. If you do get one made up make sure it`s well sanded down!!
historian
I have given thought to making one, as you say, the design is pretty simple. Unfortunately, we lack to space for me to work on something like that. Four cats, sanders, cans of nice, sticky polyurethane/yacht varnish, or whatever, would probably end in disaster. :D (In case you're wondering, yes, we do have a shed, but no, I cannot get into it, because hubby has managed to fill it with so many "very useful" bits and pieces!! :lol:)

get a chair, place it in the bath, :)
or
Buy one not from Amazone :cool:
Considered the chair idea too... but so many companies fail to give the "footprint" measurement of the legs on their bath stools/chairs. The base of our bath is only 14" - this is why we thought the board a safer option. Also it will be possible to sit on the edge and slide across, rather than the dodgy bit of climbing-in first.

Later this year, we're hoping to get the bathroom sorted properly, so hopefully, this will be a fairly temporary solution.

Thank you for the linky.:thumb: I've needed to hold-off ordering until after this week, because we're trying to fit the delivery times around up-coming appointments. (Many of these "mobility" shops can only offer delivery times which take up to a week - or even longer. :rolleyes:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There's always those baths with a side door, might be worth considering, bit pricey though.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
There's always those baths with a side door, might be worth considering, bit pricey though.
Yes and they look very good too - an acquaintance has one. But I think we'll probably opt to have a walk-in shower and wave ta-ta to the old bath. When funds, etc., allow.
1.gif

Reaction score
Another thought Taffycat and it`s those plastic fold up step up things,a cheap way around the problem for the moment.
historian

Reaction score
Another thought Taffycat and it`s those plastic fold up step up things,a cheap way around the problem for the moment.
historian

Hi Taffycat tis me again.
I hope you don`t mind me going on re the seat for your husbands bath.
We have recived two small catalogues from companies this morning, and both have these seats in them.You will find them here:
www.easylifegroup.com and,
www.coopersofstortford.co.uk

Hope you find them useful.
historian

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Taffycat tis me again.
I hope you don`t mind me going on re the seat for your husbands bath.
We have recived two small catalogues from companies this morning, and both have these seats in them.You will find them here:
www.easylifegroup.com and,
www.coopersofstortford.co.uk

Hope you find them useful.
historian
I don't mind one bit Historian, in fact, I appreciate your very kind suggestions.... and snap! We also received a Cooper's catalogue, which came with our Radio Times mag.:thumb:

Regarding the folding step... we already have a small portable step, (not the folding kind, but it's very sturdy) which is handy for many things. Unfortunately though, with hubby's nerve damage (which causes the aforementioned loss of leg/foot feeling, and in consequence, a "dropped" foot,) it makes getting in and out of the bath quite tricky. The foot can quite literally "let him down" because he often thinks it's in place, when it isn't....! If you see what I mean?

A while ago, he came indoors looking very sheepish, after popping out to feed the birds. It was only when I noticed the muddy areas on his trousers, that he admitted to having gone "ace over tip" giving himself a rather spectacular bruise on his rear, which lasted for weeks. :eek:

Thank goodness, in his younger days, he used to belong to a judo club, so to "fall properly" is still instinctive... That doesn't stop me from worrying though. The garden is a bit more "forgiving" - being mostly lawned areas - than the bathroom, which has so many hard surfaces. I know this to my cost, having once gone flying over one of the cats (who had strategically placed himself immediately behind me.... I'm sure it was a plot!! :lol:)

But I'm rambling, sorry. Returning to the bath board, the "bench" style will probably be the best kind at the moment, to facilitate sliding across. Hubby will be able to park his bot on the board, and then I'll be able to help him to raise his legs over the side, whilst he is safely seated. (One of those other shower seats will be great when we can eventually get our hoped-for, walk-in shower.)

I had to hold off submitting another order last week, because we want to be at home when it's delivered. Hoping to be able to arrange something for this coming week - fingers crossed. :D

My thanks again Historian,
TC

Ask a Question