A Short Trip To The US

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
We flew to Atlanta, Georgia a couple of weeks back. Atlanta is now officially the world's busiest airport but it didn't look like a modern airport at all and, in fact, looked quite small. Unless, perhaps, we were only in a single terminal. Anyway, the immigration process was a nightmare, queueing up to join another queue and then finding that there were only two staff to do the final check on hundreds of passengers. No fun at all.

Only an overnight stay in Atlanta but we did manage to see a few things the next morning. We visited the church where Martin Luther King had his first job as a preacher and almost next to it is the site where he is buried, along with his wife who died 38 years after he was assassinated. She continued the civil rights work that he had been involved with.

DSCF5242k.jpg

The church

DSCF5246k.jpg
The burial site.

More to follow.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds good, looking forward to hearing more about it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I always enjoy these type of picture threads :D.

Was Atlanta a mid-point to another destination, or was it just a really short trip?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I always enjoy these type of picture threads :D.

Was Atlanta a mid-point to another destination, or was it just a really short trip?

All will be revealed. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, next up we went here

Loco.JPG

Station3.JPG

Yes, that's Chattanooga Station which is a hotel with a nice bar and lots of exhibits at the back. Sadly no trains now run to Chattanooga at all so we had to make do with the ones on display. Just had a bite in the bar at lunchtime and then on to here.

Studio B 5k2A.jpg

Studio B 7k.jpg

This is Nashville and RCA Studio B where most of the records from the 50s and 60s were recorded. There's still lots of the old equipment on show and of course it's really a museum now but the stories the guide told were fascinating. The studio eventually became too small so a larger one was built next door but Studio B is the one with all the history.

Studio B 3k.jpg

Studio B 9k.jpg

Studio B 10k.jpg

Studio B 12k.jpg

Studio B 14k2.jpg

I'm sure that more than one person on PCR would find all this equipment of great interest. It's all the original bits and pieces from 1957 to 1964.

Wonderful. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It's funny how that place looks like an old village hall, you wouldn't think it was historically significant to look at it! Why was the first one called Studio B?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Why was the first one called Studio B?

It only got that name after the other one was built. The new one then took over all the recording and got the name Studio A. Not sure what Studio B was called originally. Probably just The Studio. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
So, what else do you do in Nashville? Well, you have to go to The Grand Ole Opry , a country music stage show which has run since 1925. It was originally downtown but this theatre became too small and a new one on the outskirts of town finally opened in 1974.

GrandOleOpry2.jpg

GrandOleOpry3.jpg

GrandOleOpry4.JPG

GrandOleOpry5.JPG

The theatre now holds 4000 spectators and the shows are held several times a week depending on the time of year. TBH, we're not great fans of country music but being there made it a great night out. Being a Saturday night the whole show was broadcast live on radio and lasted about 2 hours 15 minutes. Didn't know any of the performers but they were all very professional. Every well known country singer has appeared here over the years. Elvis appeared once in his early days but was thought to be "not quite right " for it.

The other thing about Nashville is that if you go downtown in the afternoon or evening every single bar will feature live music of a seriously good standard.

Downtown5.jpg

Downtown6.jpg

One of the bars in full swing.

And I'll bet you didn't know that Nashville has its own Parthenon. We certainly didn't.

Parthenon3A.jpg

Built for some Festival but not marble, it's actually concrete.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Must have been great listening to live music wherever you went! A couple of my friends are really into Nashville (the TV series) and I bet they'd love it there :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I love how they've build a Parthenon just for a festival :lol:. I've just had a look at it in Google Street view and it's HUGE!

I'm not a fan of country music either, but when something is live like that, I pretty much enjoy anything :D.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Great pix Nivrip, Nashville looks good.

I do like some country music, big fan of the original Hank Wiiliams and also like some of Dolly Parton, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and the Flatlanders.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Right, where do you go after Nashville? Only one place, and that's got to be Memphis. :thumb:

And you just have to go here...…………….

Sun Studio.JPG

The world famous Sun Studio, owned by Sam Phillips, where Elvis cut his first records.

Sun Studio6.JPG

Close up of the sign in front of the building.

Sun Studio5A.jpg

Some of the display in the museum part of the studio.

Sun Studio8.JPG

The Million Dollar Quartet. This is a blown up photo which was taken in 1956 of Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis and Johnny Cash. Perkins was there to record some new materiel, Jerry Lee Lewis was an unknown session pianist who was to play on the Perkins recording and Elvis and Cash turned up by chance. The four of them did a jam session, Elvis sitting at the very piano below the picture. Sam Phillips recorded the whole thing but could not release it as, by now, Elvis had a contract with RCA and not Sun Records. Lewis released his first hit record a few days later on the Sun Records label. Some of the jam session music was eventually released in 1981 and some more in 1987.

Sun Studio13.jpg

Some of the original recording equipment.

Sun Studio15.jpg

Photo of Sam Phillips using the equipment.

Sun Studio17.JPG

Another part of the museum.

Sun Studio11.jpg

And another.

The pics are not great as it was pretty dim inside and there was a lot of glass causing awkward reflections.

We really enjoyed the visit here. This place was at the forefront of the modern music age and it's amazing to see how small the building is and just how antiquated the equipment looks now. :)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fantastic pictures :)

Note the turntable speed set strobe disks in the pic of Sam Phillips.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
After Sun Studio we wandered down to the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King was shot down on the balcony on 4 April 1968. The motel is closed now but the balcony remains as part of the National Civil Rights Museum which is a must if ever you're in Memphis.

CivilRights5.jpg

The balcony where King was shot is the one with the wreath. The cars were there at the time and have never been moved.

CivilRights8.jpg

One of the exhibits in the museum

CivilRights9.jpg

Another. The whole museum visit was very moving.

In the evening we went down to Beale Street which is the heart and soul of Memphis with lots of bars, restaurants and music everywhere. Great atmosphere.

BealeSt2.jpg

The lights of Beale Street.

BealeSt3.jpg

Note the barriers. The street is sealed off by a huge police presence every night and everyone is frisked for weapons and drugs before getting through the barrier. It made us feel very safe.

BealeSt5.jpg

Inside Slinky O'Sullivan's Irish Bar on Beale St. This old blues singer was, I think, well past her best but claimed to have sung with Dusty Springfield on Son of a Preacher Man. Hope she sang better then.

BealeSt10(by day).jpg

And here's Beale Street in the daytime. Hardly anyone around. Probably all sleeping off their hangovers.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Looks like a fascinating place, and I'm glad to hear you visited the civil rights museum. Amazing that it's still an issue in modern day USA :(

How long were you in Tennessee for?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Looks like a fascinating place, and I'm glad to hear you visited the civil rights museum. Amazing that it's still an issue in modern day USA :(

How long were you in Tennessee for?
Four or five days. :)

There's more to come. ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Great photos @nivrip! :) Did you go to Graceland as well?

Well, yes. You can't really do Memphis without doing Graceland.

Here's the exterior.

Graceland6.jpg

You can see that it's not that big for a multi-millionaire but he liked it so much that he never thought of moving. The original owner of the land had a daughter called Grace so the whole plot became Graceland. The mansion was built in 1939 and Elvis bought it in March 1957 for $102,500 when this area was well out of town.

Parts of the interior.
Graceland11.jpg

Graceland30.JPG

Graceland34.JPG

Graceland47.JPG

Graceland50.JPG

All rather gaudy and not to everyone's taste.

The kitchen seemed particularly small for someone with millions.

Graceland17.JPG

Graceland49.jpg

Then outside to the memorial area.

Graceland13.jpg

This shows the graves of his father, mother and his twin who was stillborn

Graceland16A.jpg

The graves of his grandmother, to whom he was extremely close, and Elvis himself.

Graceland16C.jpg

The whole memorial garden.

After the house tour it was back across the road (Elvis Presley Boulevard) to the ticketing area and the museums.

Graceland8.JPG

Graceland8A.JPG

Graceland8C.JPG

Graceland52.jpg

Graceland54.jpg

Graceland55.jpg

The museums were huge and you could easily spend all day here. Endless numbers of planes, cars, clothes, gold discs, a cinema where you could watch some of his films and an area where you could listen to his music plus an ice cream parlour and restaurants.

I was never a great fan of Elvis but this was a magnificent day out. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That all looks really interesting (apart from the migraine room!), and I had no idea Elvis was a twin!

Ask a Question