A Short Trip To The US

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
So, after we had done Memphis we went down to the river and got on board this...……………

Am Qu.JPG

The American Queen, the biggest surviving steamboat in the world. And, yes, it is really driven by a steam engine which dates back to the 1930s. I went down to the engine room and spoke to the engineers who told me all sorts of interesting facts about the engine

AmQu3.JPG

The paddle at the back which I originally thought was just for show, but then found that it actually does drive the ship.

AmQu4.JPG

AmQu7.JPG

AmQu8.JPG

AmQu11.JPG

AmQu13.JPG

DSCF7011k.jpg

WP_20180609_17_49_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20180610_08_03_04_Pro.jpg

The above pics show how lavish are the fittings. Lovely lounges, its own small theatre, fairly tiny swimming pool and the Chart Room, full of interesting documents and details of the steam engine itself.

A magnificent boat and we had to live on it for a whole week. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Those boats are a lot bigger than I thought they'd be! Where did you travel from and to?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds like a great experience :nod:

Also I blame you for the fact I've had this song in my head all day...

:p

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The trip down the Mississippi lasted a week and we got to stop off every day at various towns along the way.

CocaColaMuseum.jpg

This place, in Vicksburg, houses the Coca Cola Museum. Full of interesting facts.

WP_20180607_10_31_31_Pro2.jpg

One of the many antebellum mansions along the river. Fabulously appointed but sad in that they all only existed because of the slave trade. This one's in Natchez.

WP_20180609_12_40_33_Pro.jpg

Another antebellum house in St. Francisville.

WP_20180608_14_36_34_Pro2K.jpg

View from the top of the Louisiana State Capitol, the tallest in the US, in Baton Rouge.

WP_20180610_12_16_20_Pro2.jpg
Another house at Nottoway.

WP_20180610_12_28_36_Pro2.jpg

A couple of the guides at Nottoway, very knowledgeable and entertaining.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
So, eventually got to New Orleans where we stayed for two days.

Balcony1.jpg

Typical New Orleans building with beautiful balconies and flowers.

JacksonSq.jpg

The famous Jackson Square.

Mansion.jpg

One of the many mansions along St. Charles Street. A lot of this area was not affected by the floods of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

PoliceCar.jpg
Lots of these very small police cars around. Probably good for the very narrow streets.

Streetcar4.JPG

Typical streetcar. They travel all over the city and you can get a 24 hour ticket for just $3. A relaxing way to see the whole place.

TwoSisters3.jpg

We had a lovely Jazz Brunch here at The Court Of The Two Sisters. Great music, great food. Normally people sit outside in the courtyard but the heavens opened just as we arrived.

Then we flew home. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fantastic pics Niv, really enjoyed looking at those, the Steam ship is fascinating :)

Ask a Question