Windows XP Force-fed IE7 to your computer

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There are reports flying around that IE 7 will be go public later on this month and that it will also be included as a "High Priority" update via "Automatic Updates" and when using the "Express" option via "Windows/Microsoft Update".

See the news release here: Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7

IF you don't want IE 7 to be automatically downloaded and installed using either method then you will want this "Blocker" from Microsoft. As the article states, you can always download and install IE 7 manually at anytime after this "Blocker" is installed.

Download details: Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7

Have a nice day!
user.gif

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
For the uninitiated Mucks, what do you suggest we do?

Go for it

OR

Block???

Love

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you're happy with IE, then IE 7 will give some sorely missing components such as tabbed browsing ... it is also being touted as a "security" update, in that, MS say it is more secure than IE6.

If I were using IE I would accept the 'update' and get on with it ... I do accept any and all other updates, bar one, I hid the update to MSN. ;)

If, on the other hand, you are using Firefox and are quite happy to continue, FF2 will be along shortly and has even more security (I'm using FF beta2) ... then use the blocker if you like, or accept the download and just use IE7 for windows update site.

OR ... if you are me, I will accept the update and continue to use Firefox ... if then someone need help with IE7 at least I have it here to have a look see in finding a solution. I use Firefox in Linux and it is beta2 also ... can't see MS porting IE7 to Linux, although we can actually use it with a little bit of arm twisting. :D

Confused yet ... :)

Make sure you have backed-up your data files just in case the sh1t hits the fan.
laughingsmiley.gif

The 'blocker' is really aimed at Systems Admin who don't want Joe to mess with their system.

Reaction score
Ive never actually allowed automatic downloads on my machines, well tell a lie not past few years anyway. Reason being after a while I realised that all the problems I was having was due the the crap they wanted us to install will nilly. I now only download what I deem fit

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks, my system backs up every day so that aspect is ok. I might just give it whirl!

Love

Gabriella x

Ask a Question