Folder/file sharing problem

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi all

I hope I have posted in the right section. First of all, there is nothing 'wrong' with either my PC or IBM laptop but folowing setting up a wireless network I can only access some of my files on the laptop.

For example: I have two big folders: 'gabs personal' and 'gabs work'. Although I have checked the 'sharing option' I cannot access 'gabs personal' on the laptop. It does appear in 'my network places' but when I try to access it on the lappy it says I do not have the permission to access. Re: 'gabs work': this folder does appear on the lappy but contains only one subfolder marked 'reports' and not the many other items I have in it. There is another folder 'gabs computer course' which I cannot get to share at all with the lappy.

What I want to be able to do is access all my various documents in these folders on either the lappy/PC.

If it helps, I am using a Netgear Router Model No: DG834GT with a 2mb BB connection. I have Norton installed on both machines +windows firewall + I think the router has its own firewall as well. I was advised to set up WEP encryption on the router if that helps too - so that's in place.

What I am wondering is whether this is some sort of firewall issue (not that I claim to know a great deal about it) in that the process of sharing seems to be ok when set up from the PC but that for some reason the lappy won't let me access.

I am rambling here about things I am guessing at.

I have downloaded various help things from the net which should work to fix the problem but don't. Can anyone help me with some simple instructions please?

Many thanks and love

Gabs xx

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The Operating Systems are ???

XP Home is a little bugger as it has some essential 'bits' missing ... it can be done though.

Shot in the dark here as I ain't no networking expert ... but would dragging anything into the "Shared Documents" folder not work?

Reaction score
as mucks said, whats the OS? also what file system are the disks using?

The firewall in your router will not cause an issue here, the firewall only gets involved when data is passing through the WAN interface, in other words when data is sent to and from the internet. Because your accessing data behind the firewall from behind the firewall this isn't an issue.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Mucks and Techy

Lappy = XP Professional, PC = XP Home Edition.

Mucks - tried the dragging thing and unfortunately that doesn't work.

Techy - in response to your question about file systems - I haven't a clue!!

I suspect the answer to the file/folder sharing issue is simple as there is definately nothing 'wrong' with either machine and I am part sharing my stuff but not fully.

Thanks for the help so far.

Gabs xx

Reaction score
ok,

When you check the share option on one of the folders on the desktop have you also checked the other box that says let users change the files? if not check it.

Then from the laptop click start then run and type \\desktopname\sharename

obviously replace desktop name with the name of your desktop and sharename with the name of folder you have shared.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Mucks and Techy

I am still having trouble here and your suggestion Techy (as above) yielded a response to the effect that the network path could not be found.

Perusing the MS Help Section in more detail I came across the following which contains reference to a firewall issue (see below). Whilst in general terms I understand what the Help section is saying I am not sure quite what to do to sort the issues.

Known issues
For remote users to access files from the network (Levels 4 and 5), the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) must be disabled on the network interface that the remote users connect through.

For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
298804 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298804/) Internet Connection Firewall can prevent browsing and file share
When Simple File Sharing is turned on, remote administration and remote registry editing does not work as expected from a remote computer, and connections to administrative shares (such as C$) do not work because all remote users authenticate as Guest. Guest accounts do not have administrative rights. When Simple File Sharing is turned on, if you configure specific user ACEs, remote users are not affected when Simple File Sharing is turned on because all remote users authenticate as Guest when Simple File Sharing is turned on.

Remote users may receive an "Access Denied" message on a share that they had connected to successfully before. This behavior occurs after the hard disk is converted to NTFS. This behavior occurs on Windows XP-based computers that have Simple File Sharing turned on that were upgraded from Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition. This behavior occurs because the default permissions of a hard disk that is converted to NTFS do not contain the Everyone group. The Everyone group is required for remote users who are using the Guest account to access the files To reset the permissions, unshare and reshare the affected folders.

Could anyone unravel the above for me??

Many thanks

Gabs xx

muckshifter

Reaction score
Did you perform an upgrade to XP ... no, I don't think so ... so ignore.

Gabs, I had a simular problem ... XP Home v XP Pro both PCs ... I could use the Home PC and do anything to the Pro ... now, according to MS that should have been the other way around. :rolleyes:

I gave up trying to 'fix' it ... :blush:

Nothing drives me more insane than "trying to cure" XP network problems ... they either work, or don't, they work sometimes and fail the next ... even with Hubs they still drive me nuts.

Hopefully Tom (from Bitbenders) or one of the others may be able to help better. Sorry. :(

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Ok, thanks Mucks - at least I know I am not insane or totally incompetent!!

Re: Upgrade to XP - yes the desktop (which runs on Home Edition) was upgraded to SP 2 if that was what you mean.

I would be grateful for anyone else's thoughts on this cos as Mucks says it can drive you nutty. I have kept off the forum with this one for the last 10 days as I thought I had set up the network/file/folder/printer sharing ok and when I realised the sharing was only partial I have tried different things each day.

The concerpt seems simple - share your stuff across 2 machines but in practice I am running around between the 2 with a memory stick and forever forgetting what documents are where!!

Ah well, perhaps that's as good as it gets. The only other thought I have if no-one else here has any other tips and hints is to get someone in but would they know what they were doing/would it cost the earth???

Love as always

Gabs xx

muckshifter

Reaction score
Gabs, Ignore all that "upgrade" stuff ... nothing to do with SP2, or your systems.

If it is of any consolation I have seen 'experts' scratch their heads and say "well, it should work that way" wash their hands and walk away. :rolleyes:

Also ... done any Linux networking yet ??? ... if you do, let me know how would you ... I'm trying to get Linux to talk to XP to talk to Linux ... them memory sticks are a godsend ain't they. :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks

I think I will give the 'expert' route a miss - might see whether my college lecturer has any ideas/other people in my computer class. No, done nothing with Linux yet and I'm not sure from the syllabus whether we will cover it.

I think (unless anyone tells me otherwise) that I will just continue with the memory stick and try to be more organised about what's where on my machines.

Thanks for your help and support as ever.

Love

G xx

Ask a Question