Shared folder

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have a laptop and desktop both running W7 Ultimate, both connected via ethernet cable to a D-Link DSL-2640R router. I am wanting to setup some sort of shared folder. If anybody could give me advice I would be most happy.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Do you have a folder in mind?

Its quite simple to do in win7. If you right click the folder > properties> sharing tab> advanced sharing > check the share folder box > choose a name for the share and you are done

Reaction score
You could create separate folder within that one as well. It will be easier to find things within the main sharing folder...

Can't remember if you have to set prefs for those too though. Probs do

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
In the end I did as follows. Start > Computer > Map Network Drive.
And this way I was able to access Docs, Music, Video and Pictures
:D

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The keys to sharing are to ensure that you are on the same workgroup as well. By default, Windows adds you to the "workgroup" workgroup. If you do not have the same name for this setting, you won't be able to see shares either.

Just something to watch for if you add other machines to the share.

System Properties>Computer Name>Workgroup, Change if necessary. Requires a restart to apply settings to the registry.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
The keys to sharing are to ensure that you are on the same workgroup as well. By default, Windows adds you to the "workgroup" workgroup. If you do not have the same name for this setting, you won't be able to see shares either.

Just something to watch for if you add other machines to the share.

System Properties>Computer Name>Workgroup, Change if necessary. Requires a restart to apply settings to the registry.

I recently reformatted both laptop and desktop, so both were as yu say "Workgroup" by default.

Ask a Question