Flops' Friday mini blog

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the tonic water tip o barbaric one, I'll get me's some tonic water. As I recall tonic water has quinine in it and is also recommended for gippy bellies so maybe it's the quinine that does the biz.

I still haven't got an Xbox One S and I'm actually having a change of heart about it, I've lived without a console (the PS3) for a few weeks now and tbh I hardly ever played it anyway.

List price for an Xbox One S is £350 but Amazon are currently listing the ones available for £500. El ripoff! :eek:

So I dunno, I may just not go for it and spend the money I received for the PS3 + games on Steam games in the GAME shop.

And what's the point of a Steam console then? I can play all my Steam catalogue on a PC, a fair amount of them in Linux too.

Quinine was my thoughts on the tonic water too but have no proof.

Steam Controller it should have been not Console, facepalms self.

Buy the Xbox , sell it for a profit and buy even more games on Steam. :dance:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I posted this on Facebook so thought I may as well bung it up here too :)

An LP I ordered from Discogs arrived yesterday, it will probably never win any awards for hi-fi excellence but it sure did invoke waves of nostalgia. Me mate Richard and I were resident DJ's at the White Swan pub in Greenwich for almost 3 years in the early eighties and we used to get Dumpy lots of bookings there during our tenure. As a thank you he included our names on his first LP release which is this one. It's the only record I've ever managed to blag my name on, I was chuffed then about that and I still am. The original copy that Dumpy gave us is still with Richard as we went our separate ways at the start of the new millennium and had to split the records so I eventually blagged myself a copy. The cover of one of Dumpys' singles 'Just For Kicks' has a photo of the White Swan on it's cover with all the motor cycles lined up outside.

660_800.jpg

660_800.jpg
dumpyscover001_800.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's awesome! :thumb: I'd get that framed if I were you! Maybe not with the record inside though ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments :)

Here's the cover of the single I mentioned, taken outside the White Swan pub. Val & Alan were the couple who ran the pub. The pub was also the starting place for the band 'Thunder' who started at the pub under the name Terraplane, then Nuthin Fancy and eventually mutating into Thunder, who had some success.

dumpys-rusty-nuts_justforkickscover.jpg

dumpys-rusty-nuts cover rear.jpg

And here's a track from the LP. This offering is completely different from all the other album tracks:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Been gathering memoirs to text... (If I'm repeating myself anywhere here, please forgive)

Most Memorable gigs:

Genesis Earls Court Saturday 25th June 1977

The Stranglers Roundhouse Sunday 26th June 1977

Led Zeppelin Bromley College early 1969

Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup Bridge House Elephant and Castle winter 1969

The Only Ones Fulham Greyhound circa ‘77

Ian Dury Lewisham Odeon mid-seventies x 2

Black Sabbath Ewell University 1970

Fairport Convention Bromley College 1969

The Nice Mistral Club Beckenham 1968 or early 1969

Pink Floyd Earls Court Friday May 18th 1973

Captain Beefheart The Venue Victoria Friday 14th November 1980

Hawkwind; Pink Fairies; The Sweet, Thunderclap Newman all-nighter at Goldsmiths University New Cross 1972-ish

The Move, Mistral Club Beckenham 1969

The Marmalade Uxbridge 1969

Bridget St John, Cousins, Soho 1969

Savoy Brown Blues Band & Chicken Shack London College Of Fashion & Technology 1968

The Who Lewisham Odeon 1971

The Damned Sunday September 11th 1982 Hammersmith Palais

Pink Floyd Earls Court 26th October 1994

Senser, Astoria Thursday 12th May 1994

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band The Marquee 1972

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown The Bal Tabarin Downham 1968

Led Zeppelin The Lyceum Strand London 1970

The Pink Fairies, Harrow Inn, Abbey Wood, 1973

I think the Earls Court Genesis gig was the most enjoyable gig I’ve ever been to, it was probably the last year Genesis retained any vestige of cool despite having Phil Collins front them. It was the first time I’d seen a decent laser light show which may have impressed me a great deal. Me mate Arthur was doing security at the venue and me and the first wife bumped into him and he asked us where we were seated. We pointed to half way up the very back tier and he said ‘follow me’. He took us to five rows from the front and said ’Have those two seats there’ explaining they were reserved for Susan George and her hubby but they wouldn’t be attending. Just to put the icing on the cake each chair had a bottle of white wine on it which Arthur said we may as well have – result!

I believe 1977 was the year the Genesis LP ‘Wind and Wuthering’ was released which imo was the last half decent album the band released, it was all pretty much downhill from thereon with Phil Collins losing all credibility almost overnight.

And the day after Genesis I travelled to Camden to see The Stranglers – quite a contrast. The band stopped their set mid-song and the bassist Jean Jaques Burnel said the next person who spat at them he would personally come down and knock them out. The spitting stopped completely.

Led Zeppelin hadn’t been formed long in January or February 1969 when I paid 7/6 to see them at Bromley College and they were very good. The place wasn’t packed at all, you could walk from right at the front by the stage to the bar and get a drink then go back to where you were.

15 months later I paid £1 to see them at the Lyceum – that’s inflation for you. They’d got a bit more popular by then and I had to queue round the block for a whole 15 minutes before I gained admission.

Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup was one of the last original American bluesmen, most well known for having written ‘My Baby Left Me’ which of course Elvis Presley recorded and had a hit with. In ‘69 I went to a pub under a railway bridge between Elephant and Castle and The Borough where I saw him perform in a small upstairs bar at The Bridge House pub. This was one of those gigs I’m really rather glad I attended.

I saw The Only Ones many times at many different London venues – The Greyhound, The Marquee and The Rock Garden being just a few. A very original and exciting band, they were at their best live and I have never understood why they never made it any bigger. And as coincidence would have it I used to buy all my puff from Peter Perrett, the bands' founder/singer, before he gained some fame.

I saw Ian Dury twice at Lewisham Odeon mid-seventies, first one year then the next. Pure entertainment and 100% feelgood factor.

One warm summer weekend five of us drove from South London to Ewell University in Surrey where we saw Black Sabbath before they got kind of famous and they were very very good. After the gig we went to Tunbridge Wells where we stayed with my cousin Linda then the next day went to Brighton where there was some free festival occuring.

And on Sunday we bunked in to a festival at Plumpton Race Course and saw Ginger Baker’s Air Force. Which made us rather glad we hadn’t paid money to get in.

Talking of bunking in, that’s what we done to see Fairport Convention at Bromley College, who were superb. Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson and I think the drummer Martin Lamble was still alive at that time.

I met this hippie fella where I was working who was actually an ambassador’s son who lived in a posh gaff in Knightsbridge. Robert (for that was his name) introduced me to some new music and lent me Safe As Milk by Captain Beefheart and I Feel Like I’m Fixin’ To Die by Country Joe & The Fish – 2 LP’s which pretty much turned my life around altogether. Robert noted The Mistral club at Beckenham was near where I lived and suggested we go and see some band called The Nice. So we did. Another life-changing event, thank you Robert, wherever you are now.

The Mistral was a small club opposite the end of the tram line at Beckenham, I believe it’s still being used as a club. You entered downstairs and paid your admission money to a lady sitting in a white Rolls Royce, very odd. The bands performed upstairs and amongst others I saw there were The Pretty Things, The Move and Tyranosaurus Rex. Not that I saw much of Tyranosaurus Rex cos all the audience were standing up and Marc Bolan and Mickey Finn sat on the floor. Good call lads…

I saw Pink Floyd on their Dark Side Of The Moon tour at Earls Court in 1973, I remember there were several anti-aircraft spotlights being used outside as we went in, making patterns in the sky. 21 years later I went back to the same place and watched them do the same thing again.

Despite being a fan of Captain Beefheart since 1968 I only ever got to see him perform twice, once at Knebworth in 1975 supporting Pink Floyd and at the Venue in Victoria in 1980. I am so glad I did.

In the early seventies I attended an all-nighter at Goldsmiths Uni in New Cross where the lineup was: Thunderclap Newman; The Sweet; The Pink Fairies and Hawkwind. Hawkwind introduced us to Herbie, the world’s biggest strobe light, apparently. For me an historical occasion as I think that night was the most stoned I’ve ever been in my life. Beer, speed, dope, mescalin and coke. And I still managed to keep it together (I think).

In 1968, I may not even have left school when I saw The Marmalade play at some disco type club in Uxbridge, Middlesex. We only went because we knew the DJ playing there that evening – Steve Maxted. And they were really good, which surprised me, I had them down as just another piece of fluff pop band. I wuz wrong.

In the late sixties there was this basement folk club venue in Soho named Cousins and there I saw Bridget St John who gave me the shivers, albeit in a very nice way. What a superb evening that was.

My first rock band gig was the Savoy Brown Blues Band at the London College Of Fashion and Technology just off of Regent Street. Support was Chicken Shack who had a young lady named Christine Perfect on keyboards and vocals. She done quite well when she teamed up with another blues band also treading the boards at that time.

I went to this gig, incidentally cos me mate Phil Hurrell was going to the college and got some free tickets. I got chatting to a very attractive young lady and asked her out and she agreed. But she lived in Hornsey which to me at the time seemed like half a planet away so I never followed it up. Would somebody very kindly kick me hard up the arse a few times? Thank you.

The Who, Lewisham Odeon, 1971. With Keith Moon, the year Who’s Next was released. Need I say more?

Ah, The Damned at Hammersmith Palais, that one threw me a curveball, I was something of an innocent abroad. So there I was standing down the front waiting for them to come on and I was thinking ‘this is good’. Then the band came on, started playing, and the whole world erupted around me. Eeeeeek! Lost in a mosh pit. I eventually made it, on all fours I think, to a safer position some way back from the front of the stage. Now that was an experience.

Senser at The Astoria. I had learnt my lesson and stayed away from the front and all them mad moshers. That gig was pure adrenalin. At the end of the evening after people had filed out of the Astoria the floor was always a sea of empty red stripe cans, I figure a small fortune could have been made from a recycling centre. The Astoria, of course, is no more, lost to a rail scheme.

In the early seventies I was a huge Alex Harvey fan and saw him loads of times, several times at The Marquee. At one of his gigs I found myself standing next to him using the Marquee’s urinal. Alex spoke to somebody next to him and as he did so he turned. This movement caused his jet of waste liquid to be directed at my footwear and my shoes received an unrequested wash. Alex realised this and apologised to me profusely ‘Och I’m awful sorry laddie’ said he. So I can now boast with some pride ‘Alex Harvey wee’d on my foot’.

Arthur Brown came on stage at The Bal Tabarin with a flaming barnet and all the band wore expressionless face masks. Very Lindsey Kemp dahlings. Vincent Crane on the Hammond organ and Carl Palmer on drums. I also saw Arthur at The Marquee a few years later. The Marquee back then had about six rows of chairs at the front and I was sitting in the front row watching Arthur and the band perform. Half way through one song Arthur left stage then a few minutes later came back on – stark naked. He decided to stand right in front of me and I swear he thrust his pelvis forward. This meant that Arthur’s todger was just inches from my face. Now, all eyes were on him so I just had to stay cool didn’t I? I sort of managed, at least I didn’t get up and run away but I did go a bright cherry red. All these years later, seared onto my memory banks, is a detailed image of Arthur’s three piece suite in close up detail. Thank you Arthur but there are some things in this life I could happily have lived without.

And The Pink Fairies at Abbey Wood, on a warm summers evening in a wooden shed in the pub’s garden with views of the rail station and Thamesmead – surreal or what? Two drummers, intense, and they looked like the sort of guys you wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can see my gig memoirs for the most part were as welcome as a skunk in a perfume shop :D

Twin daughter person Sophie and boyfriend Dan stayed the weekend, they visited from Bath to do a charity walk for Alzheimers Disease research. Both of Sophies' grandmothers suffer(ed) from this disease so it was close to home.

On Sunday morning we visited the market and the park, here's a few snaps of Dan and Sophie after the walk and me and Sophie in the park:

sophie_&_dan_001.jpg

me&sophie_001.jpg

me&sophie_002.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I can see my gig memoirs for the most part were as welcome as a skunk in a perfume shop :D

I read through that and totally forgot to reply! Oops! I found it very interesting, and it made me realise that I'd love to go to more concerts... so that's what I'm going to do :thumb:

I hope Sophie and Dan managed to raise lots for Alzheimers, good on them! :dance:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I am shamefully late in catching-up on this thread Sir Flopps, owing to looking after a sick hubby for the past week. But it was worth waiting for, particularly the chuckles re Arthur Brown and his... er... friendly gestures toward you! :eek::lol:

Yay for Sophie and Dan participating in the Alzheimer's Charity walk. Some members of my own family were touched by that cruel disease, so good on ya guys! :cheers:

Great photos too, thank you muchly for sharing with us. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Woohoo! Today Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 game Bayonetta is now compatible with the Xbox 1 and Xbox One S. So now I want one again cos that's a great game. However, there are still no Xbox One S's available with no date given for any to be available so looks as though I may have a long wait for that console.

Coupla months ago I found a Croft Basic valve preamp for sale at a very reasonable price so I bought it. It replaced a home made solid state preamp. However, the Croft only has 4 inputs and I needed seven inputs so I built a basic 4 way switcher to accommodate my needs.

The switcher is relay based, the idea of that being to keep the audio signal paths as short as possible. A mate of mine made the switcher and PSU pcb's. I'm very pleased with the Croft valve preamp, it sounds very good indeed to my ears and the phono stage works well which meant I could lose the IC external phono stage I had been using.

Here's some pix of my switcher, one of the pix being with the Croft:

625_800.jpg

627_800.jpg

639_800.jpg

738_800.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Earlier this year in April I travelled the tunnel under the river to ithe wilds of North London to purchased an old turntable.

It’s a Garrard and I’ve no idea how old it is but I thought it may make an interesting renovation project.

A few weeks ago I finally got round to having a look at it. I cleaned and tidied up the case best I could, lots of the vinyl covering was hanging off so I glued it back into position to the best of my ability. Far from perfect but a definite improvement.

Next I checked out all the turntable functions and as far as I can work out all seems to work. The 45/78 ceramic cartridge looks to be in serviceable condition and a fellow audio forum member kindly gave away another similar cartridge which he posted to me. All the metalwork serving the mechanics is corroded as if by damp and there's hard grease that needs replacing.

There is, however, one big problem in that all four motor bushes are shot. They look as if they’ve perished and also been subject to heat as some parts seem to have melted and shed fragments across the turntable structure. They’re made of semi-firm rubber and I probably have no hope of obtaining replacements so I’m of a mind that fashioning replacements may be the only solution.

As these bushes aren’t really serving any purpose anymore this means the motor has dropped and is in the wrong position to drive the idler wheel, resulting in uneven running and erroneous speed. The bushes look to be roughly conical in shape with a groove that presses into holes in the chassis.

I’ve scoured a fair few DIY shops such as B & Q and Wickes, searching for a rubber bushes that I may be able to use to make a suitable shape for replacement bushes but as yet have been unsuccessful in my search. I’ve also looked at vehicle rubber bushes online – no joy here either so far.

So it looks as though I may well be snookered. If anybody here could point me in the right direction to solve this issue I’d be very grateful.

The only other issue, apart from some more cleaning, is the lack of a centre spindle that could handle stacked records for auto-changing, this turntable only has a short centre spindle. If the turntable can be made functional a PVC case re-cover may also be in order.

Here’s some pictures showing the case, the turntable itself and some close-ups of the bushes needed. The cartridge given to me can also be seen on the platter.

153.jpg

156.jpg

158.jpg

164.jpg

167.jpg

173.jpg

177.jpg

179.jpg

180.jpg

182.jpg

186.jpg

188.jpg

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
So it looks as though I may well be snookered. If anybody here could point me in the right direction to solve this issue I’d be very grateful.
Hmm... this is only a quick thought that popped into my mind, but, do you suppose the bushes could be made on a 3D printer..? No idea really, but they do seem to be very versatile.

A really interesting project Flopps, I hope that you will be able to complete it. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately the 3D printer I've got can't do rubber-type materials, but if ridid PLA would work then I'm happy to print something :).

I don't know how accurate the rubber bushes need to be, but could you just buy rubber cable entry grommets and stack a couple up? Or, perhaps rubber washers stacked to the correct height? May be a bit ghetto, but could work?

Reaction score
Seeing those bushes remind me of when I worked in the motor trade I am sure you may be able to source something like that ether from a motor factors OR try a shop that sells parts for refrigeration because most fridge motors are mounted on rubber bushes.

Reaction score
Oh I am sorry Mr Flops I missed the original part of this Post with your Daughter Sophie and boy friend Dan , they make a lovely couple and it looks like you had a grand day out.

Ask a Question