Flops' Friday mini blog

Reaction score
You aren't the only one Tony who now does not go frequenting pubs any more. When I was a fire eater we used to have a social club and a bar on station and many a time we got turned out at night to a fire /RTA (oops now RTC) and the crew were ever so slightly under the weather. Now they have spoiled the Fire Service and stopped social clubs and closed the bar (Health and Safety & change of working conditions etc) after I left in 1986, Also the village we have moved out to last year has a pub but no license and and is in a planning row with the council. Hay ho such is life.:(

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If i go to one near Sainsburys it's 99p a pint!:dance:
If it's decent real ale then it's £3 to £3.50.

Am I right to infer that the 99p pint is not good? It is certainly very cheap.

Best I've seen in these parts is a small restaurant/bar on the Cleveland Way where they served an excellent pint of John Smith's for £1. Not exactly in the centre of town, or even the centre of a village, but in the middle of no-where. Great stop off point for the hikers but little incentive to carry on walking with those prices. :D

Reaction score
Am I right to infer that the 99p pint is not good? It is certainly very cheap.
Well it's cheap & the drunks seem to like it!:drool:
It gets served in plastic glasses so they cant glass each other when they get drunk.:eek:
But it does have a required taste, just like drinking from The Thames!

Couple of locals have good real ale, but happy to pay good price for good ale!:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Pint of draught Guinness at all my locals costs between £2.80 (Weatherspoons, so I'm told, though I've never been in a Weatherspoons pub in all my life) to £3.30. The higher price is the norm.

That doesn't seem to bad to be honest, I'm used to paying around £3.30 for a pint of Guinness in Manchester city centre, sometimes a touch more.

My current favourite tipple is Blue Moon or Innis and Gunn - especially the latter :thumb:.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh man, I think I'm getting too old for this stuff.... or maybe not.

Played the music at my niece Rececca's 30th this evening, just got home and unloaded all the gear from Transit to bottom of my bed. Seems like hard work now, seemed like nothing when I was 21 but I still enjoyed doing it.

How was the gig? Overall - good, but not enough people to fill the venue out really. Nice venue too.

I thought this would be my last booking but kinell - I've been booked to play the Christmas dance thingy for an outfit called The Humanist Party at the Roxy Cinema Club at The Borough, London Bridge, on the 8th.

Please, leave me alone, go away, I am old and farty, I just want to rest, lol, find a young guy or gal to do this thing

Still, nice to feel wanted.

Hope y'all is good :)

I think I will go to bed now.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hey Sir Rockin' Floppington! Glad to hear the gig went well - sounds like everyone had a good time. Sorry, but I couldn't help having a sneaky chuckle at your mention of the forbidden word, hee hee. You see...? 'Tis not all bad after all. We'll be seeing you in a Santa-hat - or set of antlers with bells on yet! (Can borrow mine if you like :D)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, but in my book the word 'Christmas' is ok after December the 1st, I think any promo from the first of the month is fair game and any mention of or advertising of prior to that date in my book is punishable by death:D (But that's just my pov and as such isn't worth diddly-squat ;) )

I still think it's a load of baloney though.

Yes, I do have a hangover... ouch.

Nice crisp chill sunny day, off to the lockup to rearrange toot.

Thanks for replies :)

Reaction score
:rolleyes:My misses is Christmas mad, if she could she have the Christmas deccies put up at the end of Jan ready for the next Christmas, Ahhh, dam I hear her calling for me to start. Baaah Humbug:eek:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow Flopps, that was amazing! Such a courageous thing to have done.... you must be awfully proud of her (well... when you get over the shock of course :D)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I suppose in her eyes it was something that was just a natural thing to do ... but to forget to tell her Dad she was being awarded a commendation, tisk. :D

You got some great kids there me old son. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's incredible, you must be so proud of her! Did she not tell you about the whole thing or just the award?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow ! Fantastic.

You can certainly demonstrate some super pride there, Flops. :)

Reaction score
:thumb:Great stuff Flops I bet you are pleased and proud as punch. Well done her, she is a real hero:nod:

Ask a Question